Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Audio n00b

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010 | 02:01 PM
AwGeeze

Default Audio n00b

I tried searching but I don't really know enough about audio to even know what to search for. Sorry in advance to the thread police

I have a Non-Nav base audio system. Needless to say it's less than great. I'm looking to replace the speakers with maybe better quality speakers. I'm not looking to enter any audio competitions or anything I just want a little better sound/volume and maybe just a TAD more bass. What should I do? Thanks for the input!
Old 12-01-2010 | 03:33 PM
Spike100

I am assuming you want better sound, but you do not want to spend hundred$’s instead of thousand$’s.

Here is a modestly priced setup that will provide a very noticeable improvement:
  1. Replace the front speakers with either new component speakers or coaxial speakers (two-way self contained).

2. Either disconnect the rear speakers; or if you prefer more “fill sound effect,” replace the rears with modestly priced coaxial (two-way self contained) speakers.

3. Install an external amplifier (two-channel if you disconnect the rear speakers, or four-channel if you replace the rear speakers). A good spot for your external amplifier is behind the driver’s seat.
Additional Notes:
  1. This setup can be as little as $300-$400, or a lot more, depending upon the components you purchase.

2. You save $$’s if you use the stock speaker mounts. With this said, a door pod will significantly improve sound, but that also adds to the co$t.

3. You do not need to replace the car’s existing wiring to the new components.

4. An external amp will significantly improve sound. Match your speakers to the amp’s power. If you install high quality speakers, you absolutely need an external amplifier.

5. If you forego installing an external amplifier, go with cheaper speakers (and probably just coaxial speakers instead of component speakers in the front door) since they will sound better with the low power output from your stock radio.

6. Installing an aftermarket H/U will provide better sound and more features.
Hope this is helpful,
--Spike
Old 12-01-2010 | 03:35 PM
Carlos8183

Originally Posted by AwGeeze
I tried searching but I don't really know enough about audio to even know what to search for. Sorry in advance to the thread police

I have a Non-Nav base audio system. Needless to say it's less than great. I'm looking to replace the speakers with maybe better quality speakers. I'm not looking to enter any audio competitions or anything I just want a little better sound/volume and maybe just a TAD more bass. What should I do? Thanks for the input!
Im pretty new to this too, but I just got some good stuff in my car im sure the is better things but for the price its sounds great.

I got some Alpine Components the type R
for bass I got a zenclosure with a single jl w6 and that thing hits hard

Last edited by Carlos8183; 12-01-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2010 | 04:42 PM
AwGeeze

Wow, Thank you very much Spike. That was very informative. I think I want to replace the door speakers and the back speakers. Id like to just use the stock mounts just fill them with some better speakers. Id like to stay in the ball park of 300-400 bucks. What kind of speakers/amp would you suggest?

Thank you Carlos, I thought about putting in a sub but I think some better quality speakers will do the job for my liking. Ill check out those speakers though.
Old 12-01-2010 | 04:43 PM
Z_enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spike100
I am assuming you want better sound, but you do not want to spend hundred$’s instead of thousand$’s.

Here is a modestly priced setup that will provide a very noticeable improvement:
  1. Replace the front speakers with either new component speakers or coaxial speakers (two-way self contained).

2. Either disconnect the rear speakers; or if you prefer more “fill sound effect,” replace the rears with modestly priced coaxial (two-way self contained) speakers.

3. Install an external amplifier (two-channel if you disconnect the rear speakers, or four-channel if you replace the rear speakers). A good spot for your external amplifier is behind the driver’s seat.
Additional Notes:
  1. This setup can be as little as $300-$400, or a lot more, depending upon the components you purchase.

2. You save $$’s if you use the stock speaker mounts. With this said, a door pod will significantly improve sound, but that also adds to the co$t.

3. You do not need to replace the car’s existing wiring to the new components.

4. An external amp will significantly improve sound. Match your speakers to the amp’s power. If you install high quality speakers, you absolutely need an external amplifier.

5. If you forego installing an external amplifier, go with cheaper speakers (and probably just coaxial speakers instead of component speakers in the front door) since they will sound better with the low power output from your stock radio.

6. Installing an aftermarket H/U will provide better sound and more features.
Hope this is helpful,
--Spike

You say rear speakers... i have a base 03. I dont have rear speakers at all. will i be able to put 6in. speakers there and use the factory plug where the OE BOSE 6in speakers would have been? i dont feel like tearing the trim off just to test to see if itll work. any help?
Old 12-01-2010 | 09:20 PM
cnp112

Originally Posted by AwGeeze
Wow, Thank you very much Spike. That was very informative. I think I want to replace the door speakers and the back speakers. Id like to just use the stock mounts just fill them with some better speakers. Id like to stay in the ball park of 300-400 bucks. What kind of speakers/amp would you suggest?

Thank you Carlos, I thought about putting in a sub but I think some better quality speakers will do the job for my liking. Ill check out those speakers though.
could someone please confirm the following statements...i think im right but confirmation would be nice...

you may want to think about passing on the rear speakers all together...they do add fill but the problem is that the sound reflects off the headrest and then back to the rear of the car and then back to the front...this adds more of a time delay between when the front speaker sound and rear speaker sound reach your ears...

if you go with the fronts only...you would probably get clearer sound...and better stereo imaging...
Old 12-02-2010 | 06:45 PM
Spike100

^^ People who prefer a concert effect want the sound coming from in front of them. They will either disconnect the rear speakers or fade them to no sound.

Listens who prefer more "fill sound" will replace the rears with better speakers, but still keep the rears at lower volume than the fronts.

--Spike
Old 12-03-2010 | 02:01 PM
AwGeeze

Thank you very much Spike! You know your **** haha. What speakers/ amp would you recommend?
Old 12-03-2010 | 06:39 PM
Spike100

^^ That’s not an easily answered question.

If you decide to only replace the speaker and a not add an external amp, go with a two way coaxial speaker that costs <$100. Why? …Because this level of speaker works best with the low power input from your existing H/U.

If you install an external amp, but still want to keep it all below $300 to $400, go with a component speaker (or even a higher quality coaxial speaker) that costs $150 SRP (of course you can buy this for much less) and a moderately priced external amp (which will certainly provide much better sound than the little amp that is built into your H/U).

Infinity makes modestly priced speakers and amps that provide decent (but not great) sound. Alpine is also another good choice when “value-shopping.”

--Spike
Old 12-03-2010 | 06:46 PM
gvulakh

Before you buy speakers start with a new head unit. It will improve the sound for your audio mods to come...

When you start getting into amps do not forget about quality wiring/fuses and a good installer. A well installed value priced setup will sound better than a low quality install with high end components.