Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

viper 5901 tach threshold on/off

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Reefkpr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default viper 5901 tach threshold on/off

I'm in the process of installing a Viper 5901 into my 2003 Nissan 350Z. It is replacing a Compustar that has failed. I have everything working properly with the exception of the Remote Start. I can't get the Brain to learn my tach which could be part of the problem. The install manual mentions a Tach threshold on/off jumper for newer vehicles with lower voltage. I can't seem to find the Jumper???????? Can someone let me know where it is? Any other ideas on why I can't seem to learn tach? I know tach is wired properly because the tach wire worked with the Compustar. I have programed the brain for manual transmission mode and the Engine cranking mode to Tachometer. What am I missing? I'm totally stumped right now so any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
KPierson_

Where is the tach connected?

What does it do when you try to remote start it?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:19 AM
Reefkpr

Originally Posted by KPierson_
Where is the tach connected?

What does it do when you try to remote start it?
The wire is hooked up right at the ignition coil. I also tried connceting to the fuel injector at the ECU with the same result. I can't seem to learn the tach.

The brain clicks and then the parking lights flash 7 times. I do not have the second starter wire connected as there is no 2nd starter wire on my 2003 350Z. Could this be my problem. If so how to I wire up the second starter wire.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:25 AM
KPierson_

What does 7 flashes mean? If the starter never cranks it is neither a tach nor a second starter issue.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:02 AM
KPierson_

I believe 7 flashes is a manual mode error. I just saw that you programmed the remote start for manual transmission. Are you doing the proper shut down routine to enable remote starting on a manual transmission?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Reefkpr

I believe 7 flashes is a manual mode error. I just saw that you programmed the remote start for manual transmission. Are you doing the proper shut down routine to enable remote starting on a manual transmission?
I have tried the manual shutdown procedure but never get a correct confirmation. I'm in the process of rechecking all wiring. Everything is working great with the exception of remote start.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:33 PM
KPierson_

So if the car is running and you remote start it does it work that way? That's the first step in the manual shut down procedure.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Reefkpr

So if the car is running and you remote start it does it work that way? That's the first step in the manual shut down procedure.
I can't thank you enough for your help. You helped me with my prior Compustar install as well. I'm not sure what you mean by if the car is running and you remote start it. Maybe I'm missing something very simple. I am completely frustrated but will not give up till I have this thing working.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Reefkpr

I programmed the brain to Automatic mode just to see what would happen ensuring the car is in Neutral. When I try and remote start it the factory alarm activates and the horn starts honking which leads me to believe I need to bypass the factory alarm during remote start. Sorry if this is confusing but I'm totally stumped right now. I have a 556u bypass which worked fine with the compustar. Maybe the viper works a little different. This has been a tough install without an installation guide. I only have the quick reference manual and an older installation guide in pdf which I downloaded. Anyone that could provide me with a link to the newer Viper 5901 Responder LC3 would be awesome.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Reefkpr

Just finished checking wiring. Everything seems ok and wired properly. I am starting to think I am missing a wire. I did not hook up the Key sense wire. This was not needed with the Compustar. Also still not sure if the second starter wire has anything to do with this.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:26 AM
KPierson_

Second starter wire will only effect cold weather starting.

Part of the manua tranny mode shut down procedure is to remote start the car while it is running, then exit the vehicle, then arm the vehicle (or something like that, I've never actually done it). This way the remote start "knows" the car is in N. With the vehicle running press the remote start button (or command or whatever it is). and the remote start should activate allowing you to remove the key and leave the car running.

If the OEM alarm is going off when remote start you need to make sure the OEM disarm wire is connected to the door lock wire. This will unlock the doors and disarm the vehicle prior to remote starting. It seems also that these OEM alarms automatically disarm with the ignition so make sure your two ignition feeds are getting power as well as your accessory feed.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM
NttnbutaZthang

what did u do with the black/white wire on the 5 pin remote start harness?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Reefkpr

Originally Posted by NttnbutaZthang
what did u do with the black/white wire on the 5 pin remote start harness?
I originally wired it to the ebrake. I tried going straight to ground as well. Same thing.