Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

After 4 years Its time to install a system!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:32 AM
m0kieZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 4 years Its time to install a system!

What do you guys think?
I'm on a bit of a budget i just want to know your opinion of my setup i have here, the box and sub are a done deal but this is what i've found best to go with it / my taste
open for suggestions / opinions / flames!
Thanks in advance!

[Head Unit ]
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVHP..._info#Features

[ Amplifier ]
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136J250...-1.html?tp=115 -

[ Subwoofer]
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_13610W3...earch=jl+w3+10

This is what i was looking into getting and installing myself on my 03 touring with the b(l)ose system,
I wanted to make this post before i made everything final for suggestions on a few things, I've already purchased the subwoofer ( i got it for around ~$150 new, which i felt was a damn good deal for a quality sub )
and i am waiting on the Z Enclosure type 2 Box to get in
http://www.zenclosures.com/Nissan_35...ox_p/z110s.htm

I'm not trying to rattle my doors off or my neighbors/nearby cars i listen to everything from alice in chains to zeppelin, from aphex twin to Z-Ro
so i'm just looking for a good sound overall with the system....would this be a good setup to start?
I know i could get a more powerful headunit but i can get this one also at a very good deal (around $200 new) and i do like all of the options it comes with, sd card and all the possible addons are neat, and i like the style and look of the double din unit.

I am under the impression if i don't purchace a PAC adapter the sound will be somewhat whack from the stock speakers, and they are ~$50?

If that is the case i was thinking of just picking up some Infinity 6.1 perfects for the door from what i read they fit the stock spacer with minor modification.

Had my for 4 years now and finally getting out of my apartment and into a house so i'm about to start doing alot to my car to enjoy my brand new garage, this is how it starts
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 AM
m0kieZ

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T9N4T0/...SIN=B001T9N4T0

^ aren't MB quarts really really good? for $40 this is a steal if so...

http://www.amazon.com/JL-AUDIO-TR-65...406914&sr=1-20

http://www.amazon.com/6V2S-Focal-Pol...406956&sr=1-10

best front door speaker of the bunch that would fit without being a pain in the ***...?

Last edited by m0kieZ; 12-15-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:24 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Consider getting a capacitor as well. It's good for your amp and car battery.

http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/c...capacitors.htm
Old 12-15-2010, 05:43 AM
gvulakh

Not a bad setup......

The price on the MB Quart's is great! They are not like the speakers they used to make years ago. But for $40 you can't go wrong.

I would consider getting a second amp to power your components. The sound quality and balance of your system will improve greatly.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 PM
m0kieZ

gvulakh : Thats what i thought i mean at least for a start,

I will definitely get a second amp down the road when i buy matching quality speakers for the doors, are the rear speakers a waste of time to replace? seems like it would be overkill if you had very good door components...

And if i get that head unit my stock speakers will sound like crap hooked up to it right? ( 03 touring blose system) , so therefore i should go head and get the mb quarts / something for the doors to hook to the aftermarket cd player....? ( for now
Old 12-15-2010, 12:55 PM
gvulakh

Originally Posted by m0kieZ
gvulakh : Thats what i thought i mean at least for a start,

I will definitely get a second amp down the road when i buy matching quality speakers for the doors, are the rear speakers a waste of time to replace? seems like it would be overkill if you had very good door components...

And if i get that head unit my stock speakers will sound like crap hooked up to it right? ( 03 touring blose system) , so therefore i should go head and get the mb quarts / something for the doors to hook to the aftermarket cd player....? ( for now
The rear speakers are totally disconnected in my setup and I do not miss them. lol.

Most of the time the stock speakers will sound a little bit better hooked up to an aftermarket head unit. But, definitely replace the head unit and the door speakers first before adding a subwoofer.

On a side note do the front speaker grill mod. Look it up and thank me later!
Also, if you get a component set, watch your tweeter placement. The stock locations are not the best and can make your highs sound harsh. Although I have a Polk/Momo component set with the tweeters in the stock location, my head unit has time alignment so I can tune some of the harshness out.

Let me know if you have any more questions.....If you were close to Philly I could help with your install. I can get a Z door panel off in about 10 minutes!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:03 PM
m0kieZ

Originally Posted by gvulakh
The rear speakers are totally disconnected in my setup and I do not miss them. lol.

Most of the time the stock speakers will sound a little bit better hooked up to an aftermarket head unit. But, definitely replace the head unit and the door speakers first before adding a subwoofer.

On a side note do the front speaker grill mod. Look it up and thank me later!
Also, if you get a component set, watch your tweeter placement. The stock locations are not the best and can make your highs sound harsh. Although I have a Polk/Momo component set with the tweeters in the stock location, my head unit has time alignment so I can tune some of the harshness out.

Let me know if you have any more questions.....If you were close to Philly I could help with your install. I can get a Z door panel off in about 10 minutes!

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...er-grills.html

Is this what you're referring too?
Thats pretty slick....i can imagine it would improve the quality alot!
Thanks again and yeah too bad im in florida lol
I'm sure i'll figure it out i changed the belts on my 350 so it can't be too bad.

Well i got the subwoofer in today, I'm in the process of moving so i'm trying to manage what i order so i can actually be there when it's delivered...
I'd really like to go ahead and get those MB quarts when i order the Pioneer/jl amp ( if i still decide to get those)
According to my research they should fit with a 1" spacer
thats from the thread on here regarding speaker fitment

This pioneer unit i'm looking at has an 8 band Equalizer, that should allow me to tone down some of the highs ya think?

I mean if it's really bad i'll find a way to just muffle the tweeters lol, Which would be pretty much the opposite of the mod you showed me =)
Old 12-15-2010, 07:03 PM
scoobyrex247

yeah, I have the pioneer avh3200bt and it has a really great user friendly eq. Its easy to change your presets on the fly so say a rock song comes on then you'll use your custom rock setting then switch it up to hip hop.

It also has a digital crossover for the door speakers so you can make sure what ever you decide to run in the doors are only outputting mid/highs

I just installed a high end Alpine single din in my brothers WRX and it was not as easy to adjust the EQ. I've also had a sony headunit and so far this pioneer avh3200 has been the most impressive.

I'm running two JL 10w3v2 in 4 ohms and honestly I feel I should have gone with just one. Those things when supplied with the recommended power hit really tight and clean. Good for just about anything really from rock to trance. I'm running a stealthbox btw.

i'm also running Infinity 629I two-ways. They are simple and can make my ears hurt without being distorted. I think great bang for buck. I've run them off my previous sony and now pioneer head unit and they sound better with the pioneer. Let me know if you need tips on the bypass mod.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:29 PM
m0kieZ

Thats awesome to know about the head unit cause i listen to alot of different genre's so with the SD card slot and that option i'm pretty much sold on it, and i absolutely love how it sits flush in the 350 console, I'll look into those infinitys, did they fit without a spacer or modding?

and what is the bypass mod? ( oh duh i assume you mean for the dvd player function while driving? i forget that head unit even has dvd player capability, could care less about it compared to the other functions.... but i would definitely like to know how to do it! )
Good to hear that my single W2 should be enough i was really hoping it would be the perfect sub for my setup in the end of all of this.

Last edited by m0kieZ; 12-15-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:23 PM
markcg09

Here's a vid on how to bypass the HU, a frined of mine did the bypass on my unit but it looks very easy to do. I own the P3200 myself. I use the PAC ROEM NIS 2 wire since I kept my bose sub. I dunno if you need it if you go aftermarket sub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGZEZrUdRo

Last edited by markcg09; 12-15-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:04 PM
amberjoe

Originally Posted by markcg09
Here's a vid on how to bypass the HU, a frined of mine did the bypass on my unit but it looks very easy to do. I own the P3200 myself. I use the PAC ROEM NIS 2 wire since I kept my bose sub. I dunno if you need it if you go aftermarket sub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGZEZrUdRo
This is really very nice and descriptive. I will try and implement it hope this works out for me as I am not much of a techie.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:08 PM
m0kieZ

gotta love this site =)

thanks will put that to use in a couple weeks here!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 AM
gvulakh

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...er-grills.html

Is this what you're referring too?
Thats pretty slick....i can imagine it would improve the quality alot!
Thanks again and yeah too bad im in florida lol
I'm sure i'll figure it out i changed the belts on my 350 so it can't be too bad.

Well i got the subwoofer in today, I'm in the process of moving so i'm trying to manage what i order so i can actually be there when it's delivered...
I'd really like to go ahead and get those MB quarts when i order the Pioneer/jl amp ( if i still decide to get those)
According to my research they should fit with a 1" spacer
thats from the thread on here regarding speaker fitment

This pioneer unit i'm looking at has an 8 band Equalizer, that should allow me to tone down some of the highs ya think?

I mean if it's really bad i'll find a way to just muffle the tweeters lol, Which would be pretty much the opposite of the mod you showed me =)
Yes that is an extensive grill mod. You can just drill out the holes at the top third of the grill and buy grill cloth and spray glue.

As for mounting your front speakers you can just destroy the stock speakers by cutting out the come and snipping off the rear basket/magnet. Use the remaining ring portion as your spacer and drill your new speakers right in to it.

I do not suggest muffling your tweeters in any way!!!!

As someone else in this thread stated something about the high end Alpine eq being hard to tune....it is!!! I have an older Alpine 9833 from like 2003. I have had about 10 different head units in my Z and this one has the best sound quality. It does not have an eq like the Pioneer's(I used Pioneer head units in this car)my Alpine has a parametric eq.

If you want to learn a lot about car audio check out www.bcae1.com. There is a wealth of information here for everything from basic ohm's law to correct wire-sizing diagrams. I spent a lot of time referring back to this site when I was putting my system together.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:42 PM
m0kieZ

Well i have had the JL W3 for a few days,
the Type 2 Zenclosure came in today,
The Pioneer headunit is being sent 2 day express as of today,

So i have what i feel is a great setup start

I went and talked to a friend of a friend who has owned an audio store for over 20 years here in town and we sat down and talked for a while about how i wanted to go with the system and he wasn't trying to make a sale here just educate me on alot

He felt the systems overall sound quality would be much better if i
went with a 4 channel amp right now instead of later, and just ran the sub and stock door/rear speakers (i have the bLose setup in a 03 touring keep in mind.... *cringe* ....i know but just for now keep in mind this is just a starter setup a stage 1 of many hopefully!

I'm leaning to agree cause honestly the stock speakers i've never really had a problem with and i almost always have the treble turned down sometimes in the minus, if they would operate and sound like they do now at the very least but hopefully better i'd like to just do that, and then in a couple weeks here order some nice component speakers to slap in, and then simply connect to the amp.

Again thanks for all the information already and for anymore feedback in the future, will post pictures soon but it won't be anything you guys haven't seen before haha =)
Old 12-16-2010, 01:47 PM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

It took you 4 years?!?!!?

I had my interior stripped within 12 hours of buying my car to do the audio in it!

Mind you, I was an installer at the time
Old 12-16-2010, 04:31 PM
m0kieZ

Well I'm not gonna lie i think i was 16 when i first laid eyes on the 350 it was in early concept sketches, magazines and i fell in love with it by playing gran turismo with the "concept" Z Hah....

I had a lot of experience with some very fast cars even being so young at that time, up until the Z i was always a huge fan of the M3 but not so much BMW, and had always wanted a Porsche

I told myself i'd get one soon as i could afford it,
Long story short i got rid of my old car and got the Z in january of '06 after drooling over it for 5 - 6 years and reading up on every stupid little mod i could before i even owned the car i finally got her
and man what a ride, i'm over 100k miles and she still runs like a dream.... I just haven't had the extra change until now to drop on a system, I've been very patient =)
Old 12-18-2010, 11:58 PM
m0kieZ

I got everything in today , pretty much wired up and ready to go but i had to stop before i could goto install everything, i have a question however.

WHERE DO I PULL THE SPEAKER WIRE FROM THE BATTERY INTO THE CAR FROM?

I cut my hand all up trying to figure it out tonight in the dark but got frustrated and stopped lol.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:19 PM
fizmixa

I got everything in today , pretty much wired up and ready to go but i had to stop before i could goto install everything, i have a question however.

WHERE DO I PULL THE SPEAKER WIRE FROM THE BATTERY INTO THE CAR FROM?

I cut my hand all up trying to figure it out tonight in the dark but got frustrated and stopped lol.
you mean the power wire from the battery?

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...-firewall.html
Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 PM
m0kieZ

got it all installed, sounds great! thanks for all the help guys appreciate it alot, whenever i get it all cleaned up i'll show you the setup nothin fancy