Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help.... Alt./engine noise in speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Figs350ZR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help.... Alt./engine noise in speakers

Hey guys... this may have been discussed before, but I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before, specifically w/ a 350Z.

I had a JVC KW-NT3HDT (here's the link to the JVC page: http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=147&page=1head unit installed in my '05 ZR (with factory BOSE speakers) and it started emitting engine noise/alternator buzz feedback thru the speakers. It was a high pitched whine that modulated w/ the engine. I had the installers check, recheck and triple check every grounding option possible.... grounding wire to the harness, the chasis, the RCA inputs that aren't being used now and even to a grounding terminal that is incorporated on the back panel of the unit, itself... but ultimately, the buzz never went away. I had them put the OEM unit back in and I'm shipping it back to the company I bought it from for a swap. They think it could be something w/in the head unit, itself.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has had this issue and what they did to fix it? It sounds just fine w/ the OEM unit back in, so it has to be w/ the JVC head unit, right?

Thoughts? Advice? Experience from y'all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

FIGS350ZR
Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The problem is not the JVC head unit.

The problem is the installation (wiring, grounds, and "mating" Bose).

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 01-27-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had an issue with the Bose PAC adaptor before, not sure what adaptor you have. Did everything possible and nothing worked, then replaced the PAC adaptor and it was fine. Superb.

Obviously bypassing the Bose crap and running your own amp via RCAs/hi-level input will be fine too so I'm not sure how well define your system is setup.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

One thing I notice that happens almost all the time are problems when mating non-Bose components into a Bose system.

--Spike
Old 01-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Figs350ZR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The installers are as baffled as I am on this, and are pretty sure it's not the head unit, either. BUT, the company I bought the JVC unit from is willing to do a swap w/ me, so I'm going to do the swap and take these ideas back to the installers and see what works. I appreciate the help guys! I don't like the idea of having to bypass the OEM/Bose amp but if that has to be done to not have to buy a WHOLE new system/speakers, then I may have to do that. I'm also gonna call up Crutchfield and see what they can tell me. I know they've probably dealt w/ this at least once, right?!?! LOL

Thanks, again, guys!!!