Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

~~>{SQBassHead's Audio Build}<~~

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:22 AM
SQBassHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~~>{SQBassHead's Audio Build}<~~

UPDATe 6-18-11 on post #141 ( applied SecondSkin, what a difference!)

UPDATE 6-02-11 on post #86 (SecondSkin Damp Pro arrived !!!)

UPDATE 5-24-11 on post #75 (almost! Welded the holes )

UPDATE 4-29-11 on post #31

UPDATE 4-27-11 on post #23

Well I decided to stop being lazy and post up some pics of my build, it's not finished yet but little by little I'm getting there, lol
My build consists of:
Alpine w505
Alpine imprint
JL Audio ZR650csi
JL Audio C5x
Audio Control Epicenter
Alpine PDX 4.150
Alpine PDX 1.1000
Optima yellow top
JL Audio 0gauge metawire for everything including Big 3
Custom kick panels www.simplicityinsound.com (16psibrick)
Custom pillars for tweeters www.simplicityinsound.com (16psibrick)
JL Audio 13w7
Competition ported Box (built by FatBoxUSA) www.FatBoxUSA.com

Here's some pics, excuse the quality.... Taken with my iphone4

Headunit

Tweeters and kick panels

This is my 3rd box with my 13w7, first was a custom built ported box (built by a local shop), second was jl's prowedge (sealed), and with both these boxes I never got over 140dbs, I was FKN pissed, so set out to build myself my own box, but do to time and lazyness that never happened , now I truly believe that 13w7 is a wonderful sub, that is capable of getting good #'s, atleast over 145dbs minimum, Now there is one guy in Europe (I think) that hit 146dbs witha single 13w7, this gave me hope and well I ran with it after that, I got in contact with this company called fatboxusa (WTF) well we got to talking and made an arrangement on having one of there comp boxes shipped over to me, seller tol me if I wasn't satisfied I could just ship the box back and get a full refund of what I paid, so I decided to gamble with it, since I knew I was to lazy to build myself one and I didn't trust anyone around me, I said WTF let's do it!

Now let me say first off, I KEPT THE box
From the minute I saw it I knew it was special, internal bracing, clean cuts, and sturdy as a TANK!!!

Now the box didn't fit as I hoped so some cutting was involved

Better pic so you can see how much I cut and rolled

www.FatBoxUSA.com

Now everytime I switched boxes I still ran the same PDX amp, by just changing the box I gained ALMOST 5 DBS I went from 139's to 143.6 on the TL with only 1000wrms

I highly recommend any of these shops that I used, Trust me there quality speaks for itself!!! Everything is so sturdy and Built like a tank!!! Even bings kick pannels and pillars highquality!!!
And well the box speaks for its self with the results
And big thanks to R&D Factory for doing my big 3
They also do everything else for my car great team thanks lance
So if anyone local wants to hit them up look them up
if you use any of these companys just Make sure you let them know I sent you to them give me some credit -Felix

Now I'm still not done , I want to get above 145dbs so next I'm going to switch my PDX for my old Orion 2500d, and see what the new numbers are
I've also got some other things I want to do with my setup also, but I'll let you guys know when I confirm everything bc right now it's just in the drawing stage

Last edited by SQBassHead; 06-18-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the fatbox is tuned for music ?
like 33-37 ?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 AM
350zspl
Banned

and Bing's kicks & pillars is hands down about as good as your gonna get in our front stage

again if the tuning is in the low to mid 30's on those fat boxes , then buy tuning at 40 and throwing a 50 hertz tone you will see gains

people all have opinions, mine is 95% install & 5% product choice

Last edited by 350zspl; 04-07-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM
SQBassHead

Thanks for the advice bro

But yeah bings work is simply AMAZING! I still have to play around with it
Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Jackson0927

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, fitting username....

love those tweeter pillars! what to do with the old mirror mounts right next to them though.

prolly going to make myself some kicks here soon, just worried about them being ... well kicked.

is that ur purse in the trunk?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 PM
SQBassHead

gf's bag we use it for clinicals for school

But yeah old tweeter spots are empty
Kick panels DO NOT get kicked I make sure I tell everyone when the get in to watch there feet lol plus it's mostly my gf who goes in all the time and she I VERY careful, I've got a winner , but you should build urself some bro, night and day diff.. But if you don't want to make them , I highly reccomend hitting up bing $pricey$ but well worth it, nothing like some I've seen

You know what I'm planning already, shhhh!
Don't forget about me bro thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Ak48z

Wanting to get some tweeter mounts like yours sometime.. Bet it sounds nice. I would kick the speakers if I had them mounted there, I'm pretty clumsy and I like the little leg room I have down there. My CDT-hd 62's would sound alot nicer in those!

Ive got a 10" Audiopulse REVO ive been contemplating putting in the Z instead of the JL 13w5 I have in there now.

Cool project though, best of luck with your goals.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:53 PM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackson0927
wow, fitting username....

love those tweeter pillars! what to do with the old mirror mounts right next to them though.

prolly going to make myself some kicks here soon, just worried about them being ... well kicked.

is that ur purse in the trunk?

i prefer pillar to factory location for tweets
i prefer the kicks over the pillars
Bing can do 6.5" mids with 1" tweets in kicks on axis for an auto tranny, and just of axis on a clutch car

as far as kicked well you need to be careful i use kicks with mids and tweets WITH NO GRILLS and still have had zero issues but i am very careful

Last edited by 350zspl; 04-07-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 PM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by Ak48z
Wanting to get some tweeter mounts like yours sometime.. Bet it sounds nice. I would kick the speakers if I had them mounted there, I'm pretty clumsy and I like the little leg room I have down there. My CDT-hd 62's would sound alot nicer in those!

Ive got a 10" Audiopulse REVO ive been contemplating putting in the Z instead of the JL 13w5 I have in there now.

Cool project though, best of luck with your goals.
this goes back to my opionion on 95% install & 5% equipment choice
meaning
i can take a $100 set of components and mount them in Bings Kicks that run roughly $300 to $400 shipped ( total $100 for comps + $300 for kicks = $400)

against a $1000 set of components in the factory location

and the $100 comps in the $300 kicks will azz fuuck the $1000 set of comps in factory locations

Last edited by 350zspl; 04-07-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Jackson0927

Originally Posted by SQBassHead
:
But yeah old tweeter spots are empty
Kick panels DO NOT get kicked I make sure I tell everyone when the get in to watch there feet lol plus it's mostly my gf who goes in all the time and she I VERY careful, I've got a winner , but you should build urself some bro, night and day diff.. But if you don't want to make them , I highly reccomend hitting up bing $pricey$ but well worth it, nothing like some I've seen

You know what I'm planning already, shhhh!
Don't forget about me bro thanks
oh ya, kinda just wanted to build everything myself. but if I get lazy Ill buy, those look slick.

I need more sound up front and I don't want to hang another set on the door. those already get knocked now and again, so I will just have to remind people of the kicks or . now I REALLY want to make me a set, after I finish other projects obviously.

don't worry i'll be out there tonight for ya. look for pm later
Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 PM
SQBassHead

Originally Posted by 350zspl
meaning
i can take a $100 set of components and mount them in Bings Kicks that run roughly $300 to $400 shipped ( total $100 for comps + $300 for kicks = $400)

and the $100 comps in the $300 kicks will azz fuuck the $1000 set of comps in factory locations
TRAVIS! I couldn't have said it better some ppl just don't understand that install is just as..... If not more important that the product you buy

Originally Posted by Jackson0927
oh ya, kinda just wanted to build everything myself. but if I get lazy Ill buy, those look slick.

I need more sound up front and I don't want to hang another set on the door. those already get knocked now and again, so I will just have to remind people of the kicks or . now I REALLY want to make me a set, after I finish other projects obviously.

don't worry i'll be out there tonight for ya. look for pm later

Thanks bro
Old 04-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Ak48z

meaning

agree 110%... to a certain degree. Optimum locations would be in the kicks/tweets in the pillars.... I did not want to have kicks because I carry my dog/friends/luggage/etc quite often. They would get destroyed pretty quickly I'm sure. So I decided to put them in the doors, and it sounds great. It could always be better in the kicks but its not for my situation. I used plenty of Second Skin Damp Pro which I'm sure we both know is some of the best dampening stuff you can get.

I get an annoying rattle from the vent in the passenger door on occasions but thats about as far as it goes I'm sure I could fix it if I pulled the door off again.

However I would love to get or make the A-pillars like those for the tweets, that would be a much better location than the stock location where I have them now.

The 13w5 also sounds sick, and I have my complete trunk space free still.

Id be scared of what the Revo would sound like in there
Old 04-07-2011, 02:42 PM
350zspl
Banned

easiest to be on axis with a mid in kick & tweet in pillar

some speakers sound better on and some sound better off

when using kicks you eliminate all the nasty door panel resonating even if you deadened the doors
Old 04-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Ak48z

easiest to be on axis with a mid in kick & tweet in pillar

some speakers sound better on and some sound better off

when using kicks you eliminate all the nasty door panel resonating even if you deadened the doors
I would hope so since the speakers are not in the doors anymore lol
Old 04-07-2011, 04:17 PM
SQBassHead

I know with my zr's it made a world of difference

But yeah it's a pain when someone "accidentally" hits it even after u told them something... Lol

One time I gave this "BIIIG GIRRRL" a ride home from work, I was just trying to be nice and I ended up with scuff mark on my kick panel good thing it just brushed off, lol.
Bu I remember she even hit it off the cliPs!!!!

Nice girl tho, now when she gets in my car she doesn't even stretch her feet!!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:50 AM
brandon3434

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sub'd!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:16 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 402 Likes on 229 Posts

too funny, 95 percent of your system is exactly the same as mine. Added a 10f stinger bank as well. Overkill, but who cares.

Im selling my tc customs box w the 2 10W7ws and going for the JL13TW5.. downsizing.. reducing weight.

tweets n kicks look great.. i personally wouldnt loose my trunk to bass especially in a "sports car" that seems to react very poorly to added weight, but to each his own I FIRMLY BELIEVE.

I used to have suburbans and sport trucks back inthe day loaded w 24 speakers , ridiculous box builds, weight issues, plastic wndshields etc etc.. that kind of thing.. so maybe im just over it.

ANyways, nice choice on the set up. Cant believe you threw the old epicenter in there too haha.. thats gangsta.

Last edited by bmccann101; 04-08-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 AM
SQBassHead

Yeah bro, I figured my "sports car" is a slow pos that even full bolt-ons can't make it fast, only thief that will make it fast is turbos
Plus I never track the car and when I did drag it, I would get smashed on by the V8's .. But it sure was fun

But yeah I've always been addicted to bass, and there's only so much bass in SQ, so I started leaning towards SPL , But I'm also a firm believer of "to each his own" except on replicas

Epicenter was a must since I listen to ALL type of music
But I Agree 100% the z does not repond well to weight! But you must feel it also with your VS wide body kit and 22" wheels I kid I kid
Your car looks 100x better with 22's
Hey bro did you post up better pics of ur wheels? I have to check ur thread

I feel there no point to build a "track car" and you never go to the track most ppl on our forum lie to themselves

Last edited by SQBassHead; 04-08-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 402 Likes on 229 Posts

I feel there no point to build a "track car" and you never go to the track most ppl on our forum lie to themselves

i couldnt agree more man.

Have fun, do watcha like, dont do stupid stuff to your car, but if you, well whatever.. is my approach.

wheel pics? nah, i pick it up today.. these were all jsut cell phoine pics Han sent me to show the overall look.

Shouldve just drove over and sold you my box haha. its ridiculously loud off the 2 10w7s and the pdx 1000.1.. sick loud. Percussive as hell too.. itll make you poop like a strong cup of coffee. . ha.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Jackson0927

Originally Posted by SQBassHead
Yeah bro, I figured my "sports car" is a slow pos that even full bolt-ons can't make it fast, only thief that will make it fast is turbos
Plus I never track the car and when I did drag it, I would get smashed on by the V8's .. But it sure was fun

But I Agree 100% the z does not repond well to weight!

+1!!! on that as soon as soon as I realized that most n/a mods only provide "placebo hp" and I was satisfied with my car being quick, not fast. it was easy to add a bunch of weight for all the stereo, wheels and all the other comforts. but there was a very clear difference between driving it around gutted to where it sits now.

but I bet that fat box is heavy!!!

Quick Reply: ~~>{SQBassHead's Audio Build}<~~