Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need help, speakers fade in and out

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:39 AM
ntwillie1

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Need help, speakers fade in and out

Hi all. I have a problem I can't figure out and want to know if you guys can help or offer some suggestions.

My system consists of the following:
Head Unit - Pioner AVIC f900bt
Front Speakers - JL Audio CS 650x components
Rear Speakers - JL Audio TR 650 CXi
Subs - 2 x 10w3v3 in JL Audio Stealth Box
Amp - JL AUdio HD 900/5

My problem is that recently only the left side (driver side) speakers work, front and rear. ANd the Subs always work. Sometimes in the morning when I turn the car on they all work, but after driving a bit the right side will go out.

So yesterday i swapped the left side speakers to the right side and vice versa and the problem persists. So now i know its not blown speakers.

About 1 month ago I had the audio shop review the amp install they had performed and that was solid too. WHile at the shop all speakers were working and sounding really good. ON my way home, stupid problem appears again.

I traced out each and every connection from the head unit to the harness and from the harness to the speakers. They all seemed ok.

2 things I have not done are replace the harness or replace the head unit. I'd really hate to have to change out my head unit as it is less then three years old.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

When you "swapped" the speakers, you moved the whole speaker or just swapped the rca's going to the amp?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:06 AM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
When you "swapped" the speakers, you moved the whole speaker or just swapped the rca's going to the amp?
i physically moved the speakers that were on the right side of the car to the left. and i lied a bit, i only did the rear ones. but i'm sure the front are the same cause sometimes they work. but yeah, i moved the whole speaker over. Thank you.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Try swapping the RCA's at the amp. If the problem moves, it's before the amp. If it stays the same, it's in the amp or after it.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Reading your report, it does NOT appear to be the speakers or the wiring or harness.

Since the problem occurs after operating the system for awhile, it must be related to heat build-up, and that happens at either the H/U or your external amp.

Try replacing either one, but not both. Pick whatever costs less or the component you most would like to upgrade (H/U or external amp).

--Spike
Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 PM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by Spike100
Reading your report, it does NOT appear to be the speakers or the wiring or harness.

Since the problem occurs after operating the system for awhile, it must be related to heat build-up, and that happens at either the H/U or your external amp.

Try replacing either one, but not both. Pick whatever costs less or the component you most would like to upgrade (H/U or external amp).

--Spike
Thanks Spike. I don't think its either because the JL HD amps are very efficient and don't produce much heat. Anytime I touch it is luke warm at most, even when the system has operated as its suppsoed to and I've been pounding it hard for an extended period of time such as 2-3 hour drives.

Besides, it happens immediately. Sometimes it happens after driving the car a bit (10 min or so) which wouldn't give it enough time to heat up. Both of those are very expensive, HU was $700 on sale, amp was $900 or so. If i had to replace either that would really suck. If i went into the garage right now and tried it it would only operate the one side of the speakers and the car hasnt' been touched in 24 hours. I'm pretty sure it isn't heat. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
…My problem is that recently only the left side (driver side) speakers work, front and rear. ANd the Subs always work. Sometimes in the morning when I turn the car on they all work, but after driving a bit the right side will go out....
I was basing my advice on the original message. There must be some reason why the problem happens after operating the H/U and amp for a while.

--Spike
Old 09-22-2011, 05:11 PM
ntwillie1

Guys, i got this issue fixed. turned out to be a bad set of RCAs. I had a brand new set in there of the Monster Cable 5 channel RCAs. They were installed brand new with the amp not 2 months ago. Anyway, time is limited for me these days so I took it to a shop where they did the remote starter on my TL and they were able to diagnose and fix the issue. The Monster was replaced with Memphis audio and the system is back to where I like it, loud, clean and hard hitting. Thanks to everyone that helped out.