Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Please help! Gift for bf - new sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Smilie face

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! Gift for bf - new sound system?

My bf owns a nismo and he always mentions how he doesn't like his sound system. Anyways I want to get him a new one. The problem is I do not know anything about cars... Nada...zip... so if someone can give me a few suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Currently I don't have a budget, I want him to have the best of the best! Thankssssssss!

Last edited by Smilie face; 09-29-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

hmmmmmmm llort?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:28 AM
DeanFX

Ha. Well if I were in NY and didn't have a budget and wanted the best of the best. I would go the the most expensive audio shop that I could find. Hell I would probably just give the Nismo away and buy a GT-R. I hear the sound system is better anyway.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 AM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another one of these?

Best of the best is not a sound System for a Z
Old 09-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Heritage

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

We'll answer questions, but first: can size?

Old 09-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Collin Lacy

This is like the 5th bf/gf buy post I've seen this week.

The first step to any audio system is the head unit. Does he already have an aftermarket one in his car?

I would say just as a gift that would be the best option. Not a BOSS or PYLE one either. My recommendations are Pioneer and Alpine, but thats a personal choice. You should buy it based on desired features.

If you do get him one, either steal his car and get it installed for him, or if hes the DIY kind of guy make sure you get him the head unit, a dash kit, and wiring harness. (I don't think you'll need an antenna adapter, or at least I didn't)
Old 09-30-2012, 04:35 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Is the BF going to do the install himself? If so just give him a budget and he can fugure out.
If someone else would do it just get an estimate from an audio installer. If you need help
with the budget, I would say $3000 to $4000 should be fine.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 PM

Kenwood DNX>>>>
Old 09-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Smilie face

Haha that's not a bad idea... Just get a new car right :0) I don't know what he has in his car right now but I think he installed it himself. He knows how to install the other car parts so I'm guessing he would enjoy figuring it out himself. If he dooesnt, he has some friends that do mechanics. I don't know why I never thought about stopping by an audio shop. I should really do that but online has better deals right? What's the difference between the speakers/subwoofers/sound system? What exactly am I looking for when I go to the store?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:28 PM
cubs4worldseris

Bring his car to an audio shop. Have the shop give you the specific part numbers and manufacturers for the parts needed. Order the parts online.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Collin Lacy

I would be really careful about going to an audio shop. They have to charge much higher prices because of having the overhead of a brick and mortar store compared to online services. If you DO go to an audio shop, don't go to the audio section at Best Buy, find an actual decent shop, as I've gotten really bad information when I was first learning about car audio. In addition, some sketchy shops will just try and sell you whatever they need to get rid of.

I would recommend asking this on an actual audio forum like DIYMobileAudio.com however what you REALLY need to do is set a budget. The sky is the limit when it comes to car audio.

What's the difference between the speakers/subwoofers/sound system? What exactly am I looking for when I go to the store?
"Speakers" create the mids and highs of your listening experience. In this car a normal setup would be 6.5 inch COMPONENT speakers for the front doors. Component means there is a 6.5 inch that creates the low(ish) tones and mids, along with a tweeter that goes in the sail to create the highs. (You DO NOT need the two rear speakers in this car they are placed horribly and contribute almost nothing)

"Subwoofers" create the low tones of a system.

"Sound System" Usually refers to the set of equipment you put into the car, including the speakers, subwoofer(s) and amplifier(s) to power them.

What you would be looking for when you go to the store can vary a lot, again based on your budget and everything you want to get. If you get him new speakers, you'll want to get him an amp to power them cause the current head unit power isn't enough. If you get him a sub you HAVE to get an amp to go with it. You can get an amp that does both the front speakers and the sub in one if you want.

Stuff You Need Depending on What You Buy
-Subwoofer
--Sub Box (enclosure to hold the sub)
--Speaker wire
--Amp
---"amp kit" (everything you need to install the amp except speaker wire and tools)
-Front Speakers
--Speaker Wire
--Amp
---Amp Kit
-Head Unit (if he doesn't already have one)
--Dash Kit
--Wiring Harness
Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Is your BF a member on this site?. If so then he should have an idea about what he wants. Let him do the study and just provide the money.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Bruno350z

Buy 2 of these
http://www.jlaudio.ca/10w7ae-3-car-a...-drivers-92114

This
http://www.zenclosures.com/Nissan-35...x-p/z210ar.htm

This
http://www.jlaudio.ca/hd900-5-car-au...plifiers-98223

2 of these
http://www.jlaudio.ca/zr650-csi-car-...-systems-91122

And this puppy
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IVEW...D.html?tp=5684

He would love you forever
Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Collin Lacy

Originally Posted by beezee
Is your BF a member on this site?. If so then he should have an idea about what he wants. Let him do the study and just provide the money.
Then she becomes a bank instead of a gift giver. Not nearly as cool, obviously I'd love it if my girlfriend came up to me and said "I'm paying for your audio system" but it'd be even more cool if she handed me some packages with a bunch of rad gear. If she handed me some alpine Type E's or something I would probably thank her profusely and then put them in my sisters car while she wasn't looking, but this girl is doing her homework so we don't have to worry about that.

Lol, serious boner for JL huh? I'm still a proponent of the Screw-the-Rearfill movement but to each their own. I think we could do a maybe more budget friendly build, though those links were in CAD so I don't know what that is in real money.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Bruno350z

Originally Posted by Collin Lacy
Then she becomes a bank instead of a gift giver. Not nearly as cool, obviously I'd love it if my girlfriend came up to me and said "I'm paying for your audio system" but it'd be even more cool if she handed me some packages with a bunch of rad gear. If she handed me some alpine Type E's or something I would probably thank her profusely and then put them in my sisters car while she wasn't looking, but this girl is doing her homework so we don't have to worry about that.

Lol, serious boner for JL huh? I'm still a proponent of the Screw-the-Rearfill movement but to each their own. I think we could do a maybe more budget friendly build, though those links were in CAD so I don't know what that is in real money.
Well she said no budget I personally would never spend that much Lol but if I got them as a gift I'd probably jizz myself
I disagree with you there, I disconnected my rear speakers and wanted to kill myself lol I think they are completely necessary
Old 10-02-2012, 04:38 AM
Smilie face

I never knew forums can be so informational! You guys rock! Thank you for all your help!
@ collin-lacy: thanks for tryin to explain that to me! Now I think I actually know what I'm buying haha. So I don't need to get rear speakers just one pair for the front?
@ bruno350z: that's exactly what I need - a bunch of links to click & order. Or else I'll have to google "best of _____". That's what I usually do when I purchase electronics and it's really frustrating. That's like the "best of the best" I'm guessing... I can really get a new car for all that you listed lols

I remembered him saying something like he wants speakers not subwoofers. I have decided to get one part at a time... Can I get this first or do I have to get all the above items?
So the first or second one?..why do i need two? It comes in one pair.And then if I order that, what's all these dash kits, harness wires.. Amp kits stuff? And all the other wires? :0( i feel completely clueless

So no rear speakers? If I change the speakers first, I am guessing i have to get all these stuff for him to set it up?
-Front Speakers
--Speaker Wire
--Amp
---Amp Kit
--Dash Kit
--Wiring Harness

I think he goes to this site but I'm not sure if he participates in the forums. Shopping for guys are so complicated!

Last edited by Smilie face; 10-02-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Collin Lacy

Alright Alright.

. So I don't need to get rear speakers just one pair for the front?
This is where me and Bruno differ in opinion. I personally think the rear speakers are placed terribly and just mess up the sound from the front speakers. I ripped them out of my car. Bruno likes feeling like hes in the middle of it, and thinks rearfill is the bees-knees.

that's exactly what I need - a bunch of links to click & order. Or else I'll have to google "best of _____". That's what I usually do when I purchase electronics and it's really frustrating. That's like the "best of the best" I'm guessing... I can really get a new car for all that you listed lols
We can get you a different list of gear to purchase if you want, a bit more wallet friendly and yet still super awesome.

I remembered him saying something like he wants speakers not subwoofers. I have decided to get one part at a time... Can I get this first or do I have to get all the above items?
So the first or second one?..why do i need two? It comes in one pair.And then if I order that, what's all these dash kits, harness wires.. Amp kits stuff? And all the other wires? :0( i feel completely clueless
Okay, one part at a time, those are the front door speakers. You can JUST get those if you want, but I would say get an amp with them as well. He listed to buy two of them because you could shove the second pair in the back. As for all the wires and stuff, we can link some to you later so you can get an idea of what they are/cost/why you need them.

So no rear speakers? If I change the speakers first, I am guessing i have to get all these stuff for him to set it up?
-Front Speakers
--Speaker Wire
--Amp
---Amp Kit
--Dash Kit
--Wiring Harness
Bolded some keywords there, do you know if he already has an aftermarket head unit yet?
Rear speakers, depends on the person I say spend the money on the fronts.
The amp you don't technically need, but it'd be sort of like buying a Ferrari and putting wooden wheels on it.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Bruno350z

Originally Posted by Smilie face
I never knew forums can be so informational! You guys rock! Thank you for all your help!
@ collin-lacy: thanks for tryin to explain that to me! Now I think I actually know what I'm buying haha. So I don't need to get rear speakers just one pair for the front?
@ bruno350z: that's exactly what I need - a bunch of links to click & order. Or else I'll have to google "best of _____". That's what I usually do when I purchase electronics and it's really frustrating. That's like the "best of the best" I'm guessing... I can really get a new car for all that you listed lols
Well, I can give you links to where 1 speaker would be the same price of one 350z but I mean that's too ridiculous haha
Collin said, we can get you more of a wallet friendly speaker that's good but we need a budget lol
In that case, you should get a 2channel amp (if you decide against rear speakers) or a 4 channel amp (if you decide to get them). Buy whichever amp with however many speakers, if you buy it from crutchfield (google for website) you can setup which car you have and it will come with all the installation supplies needed for free
-Front Speakers
--Speaker Wire
--Amp
---Amp Kit
--Dash Kit
--Wiring Harness

I think he goes to this site but I'm not sure if he participates in the forums. Shopping for guys are so complicated!
Rear speakers are up to you, I guess it all depends on the person. Like collin said he see's the speakers pointless and I feel like they're absolutely necessary. If anything buy both, give him one and if he says anything say you forgot to pack the other. If he doesn't mention it return it. They have a 60 day return policy.

Guys aren't complicated at all
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
350zjason350z
Know it all

F a system... Volk rims !
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 PM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Smilie face
My bf owns a nismo and he always mentions how he doesn't like his sound system. Anyways I want to get him a new one. The problem is I do not know anything about cars... Nada...zip... so if someone can give me a few suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Currently I don't have a budget, I want him to have the best of the best! Thankssssssss!
Have him lend you the car, and drop it off at a sound audio place. Tell them to take care of it. Sound Traxx in Long Island is reasonable priced and great service.

Do you have a sister with an equal budget who needs a boyfriend?

Quick Reply: Please help! Gift for bf - new sound system?