Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Ebay generic Windows CE GPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 AM
l2iceman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay generic Windows CE GPS

hey guys,

so my plan is to grab the 06+ navi console and install a Magellan 1700 GPS unit.

I was looking around, and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111070517382...84.m1423.l2649

This GPS(and the like, plenty of different sellers on ebay) is pretty cheap ($69.99 shipped), and has AV-in (rear view camera input), BT(don't care for this) and being based on Windows CE, I can install other navi software.

The screen is a 7" touchscreen LCD with the same resolution as the Magellan unit(800 x 480).

My main want is the AV-in and navigation, the rest is a bonus(SD card, plays videos, has bluetooth for calling, etc, a few games built in, and so on), especially for the price.

Just wondering if there is anyone on here who has one of these generic ones?

My question is surrounding the AV-In, I'm wondering if it would automatically switch to aux video when I go in reverse(by wiring the camera's power to the reverse light wire) or if I would have to go into the menu and select the aux input...

The Magellan unit will automatically switch to aux video.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:49 AM
l2iceman

Update: I posted on a GPS thread and apparently most of these will switch to AV-In once it detects a signal(ie. go into reverse).
Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I'd probably opt for the magellan - as it's not a whole lot more $. The Magellan is proven reliable and high-quality, you'll always be able to get support and updated maps easily, and FWIW, I'd never want anything to do with any Windows OS in my home or car.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM
l2iceman

Hey Dean,

I was thinking the same thing, but I found out that the Magellan is also Windows CE based and there have been plenty of people hacking it and uploading other software just as with the generic ones.

The price difference to Canada on ebay is $69.99 for the generic vs $150-$200+ for Magellan, so it is twice the cost more. However you are correct in that there is a positive track record for Magellan. I'll see which one I end up going with and once I do complete this, I will post up pics and a review!

The ol Ball n Chain is not very happy about me spending $600+ for the centre navi console, buttons/finisher lol so I'm looking through scrap yards and calling around hoping to find one, so this may take a few months. Although I may just get the centre navi console and fabricate my own finisher pieces and wrap it in leather or something.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM
dcains

The OEM systems sucks, anyway, and if your car didn't originally have it, install is a giant pain in the @***. I've got a $100 Garmin in my console (forget the model number), which works far better than the OEM CE-based system in my wife's Acura TL-S. The map updates are quite easy to source on the 'net, too, and the touch screen interface is also far easier to interact with than the OEM. Search the threads here for aftermarket GPS installs, and you might be able to find a nice used unit or a refurb for a good price. I realize that's sometimes tougher north of the border, though. You don't necessarily need the navi type console to install an aftermarket unit.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:00 PM
l2iceman

hey Dean,

I should clarify lol I don't mean to install the OEM navi, I meant the OEM centre console piece for navi equipped 06-08 350z. I plan to keep the OEM Bose system as I'm happy with it and I'm not a fan of having a double din navi unit down there(I've had plenty of these in the past). So whether I go with the Magellan unit or the generic ebay China GPS units, I'll be encasing them with the OEM navi console.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:14 AM
dcains

Sounds like you've got a good plan. There are several threads here about doing such installs, with some useful info. This guy is local to me, and his install looks great:

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-unit-etc.html
Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM
l2iceman

thanks Dean, yepp I've seen that thread as well as most on here, which is where I did my research on the parts I need. I'm likely going with the Magellan unit, but I'll post a review if I end up with another unit.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The GPS unit from China is a compromise; you will enjoy better quality with the Magellan GPS device. With this said, the Megellan is overpriced when comparing to competitive devices, but its build is probably (but not certainly) better.

--Spike
Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 PM
goracerx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've wanted to do the same thing in my 08. I've never found the parts on Sea Bay. I can't believe there's no $10 plastic piece to replace the $250 control panel that won't be used. I also thought about dropping a droid dock in the space for the control panel.

I have the 9055LM. The free map updates are nice but the Bluetooth is not compatible with any modern smart phones. Even their latest 9275 only links to an Apple 4. So, 1700 should be fine.

I removed the cubby and just wedged it in the hole. It stays put and works but not as clean as the NAV console conversion.

I have the reverse camera. It's wireless and taps in to the rear reverse bulb. The wireless makes it a bit slow. Sort of stutter. Most of the time whatever is behind you is stationary though.

Last edited by goracerx; 05-16-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:57 PM
l2iceman

yea, there are three pieces: the navi console, finisher, and button control panel. I'm looking for the first two. For the control panel, I plan to measure the space and cut out a piece and wrap it in leather and hope it looks decent lol I also may take apart the speaker in the back and relocate it to this piece to have a nice clean look while having the navi unit audible.

As for the wireless camera, I've never looked for a wireless one...this is a good idea lol How bad is the stutter anyway? I mean if it's something like a split second, I can't see that being too bad. Would certainly save time of having to route the wire through the car to the unit.

Did a quick search of eBay and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIRELESS-CAR-REAR-VIEW-CAMERA-FOR-NISSAN-LIVINA-GENISS-TIIDA-GT-R-/160945028647?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item2579123e27
Old 05-17-2013, 01:09 PM
dcains

Wow, didn't know they made a wireless cam. I've had a similar wired version for a few years, paid about the same, and running the wire really only took 15 or 20 minutes.