Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

need help hard wiring Valentine One Please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004 | 10:14 PM
wuhou

Question need help hard wiring Valentine One Please...

I've done a lot of searching and while there are a lot of posts on the topic -- i can't seem to find one with simple, clear directions. I don't want to do a stealth install..just the straight up simple hardwire.

if someone could explain the hardwiring to me like they were explaining it to a 5-year-old (which is about my mental capacity), i would be eternally grateful. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2004 | 03:54 PM
Audito350Z

The V1 instruction book is very clear on how you need to wire the connector for the V1. Follow those and you will do fine.

As for where in the car, that's a different story. Here's how I did mine, which is probably a lot harder than some of the others you will find:

I wired the V1 connector to the 12v plug in the rear console. I removed the floor of the compartment behind the passenger seat for access to behind the console. I also removed the 12v plug... it will snap out of it's spot in the console.

I also removed all the screws of the part of the console the runs between the seats. There's one on each side near the back, one under the coin holder and two under the big compartment. And it snaps to the front console near the climate control *****. I did this so that I could lift the console up and run the V1 power wire up the front of the car. I did not remove the shift ****, just lifted the console up a bit.

Following the directions in the V1 manual I wired the V1 "direct-wire power adapter" to the red wire of the 12v plug. I used a length of coat hanger (tape one end of the wire you need up there and fish it up under the console from the back) to direct the power adapter power lead up to the hole where the 12v plug attaches. I threaded the wire through the opening and spliced it into the power wire of the 12v plug. This way, I could pull it all back through when I snapped the 12v plug into it's spot. The V1 power adapter is too big to fit through the opening.

I wired the ground to a bolt under the console that I just lifted up. Once everything was spliced I made sure to cover it all with electrical tape. I used the velcro tape to hold the V1 power adapter to the innards behind the rear console. I used duct tape to direct the ground and power wires.

I snapped the 12v plug back into place. Next, I threaded the V1 power cable (telephone line) through a hole in the metal behind the console and into the area under the now-raised center console. You may need longer telephone wire that what comes with the V1 to do this next part...

Now, I ran the power cable along the now open area unde the center console up to the front dash. Then along the passenger side dash under the dashboard. From there to the A-pillar. Up the A-pillar tucked into the weatherseal to the top of the windshield. Along the top of the windshield tucked under the headliner to the center of the windshield. From there to the V1 that is mounted just under the rearview mirror.

Once that was finished, I replaced the center console and the floor in the box behind the passenger seat.

Cheers,

PeteH
Old 02-07-2004 | 05:35 PM
wuhou

wow - that's quite an install. nice job and thanks for the instructions.

I'm actually looking to do something simplier. It looks like a lot of people are going around the left side of the windshield and down the a-pillar to the fuse box by the dead pedal.

Reading the V-1 booklet - they explain how to use the direct-wire adapter..but not how to wire directly to the fuse box. Assuming I don't want to use the wire from the rear cigarette lighter -- should i:

1. direct wire to a wire by the fuse box? which one is the correct wire?
2. splice the red wire and wrap it around the cigarette lighter fuse?
3. buy a piggy-back thingy to connect it?

I'm a little nervous about splicing the wire and simply wrapping it around a fuse and plugging it back in -- but it seems like that's the most popular choice?

Any thoughts?
Old 02-08-2004 | 01:41 PM
Audito350Z

That is an easy way to do the install, and none of the above....

In my Audi A4 I was able to find a fuse that was on/off with the ignition (the rear window wiper fuse). I pulled out the fuse. I removed about 8 or 10 mm of the insulation of the power wire of the V1 power adapter and pressed it into the opening with the fuse. So, the fuse pushes the wire into the slot to make contact. Should be the same with the Z.... just need to find the fuse for something like the cig lighter.

PeteH
Old 02-08-2004 | 03:18 PM
03 Z for ME

Wouldn't it be possible to simply hard wire it into the rear view mirror? Our mirror is powered... Could you simply tap into there?
Old 02-09-2004 | 06:22 AM
Audito350Z

yep... there are a few who have tapped into the mirror power... not sure how it works with the V1's power adapter.

PeteH
Old 02-09-2004 | 11:52 PM
wuhou

Audito -- i did what you said and plugged in the power wire with the fuse and it works just fine. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2004 | 07:26 AM
Audito350Z

Originally posted by wuhou
Audito -- i did what you said and plugged in the power wire with the fuse and it works just fine. Thanks!
Cool! Glad I could help.

Cheers,

PeteH
Old 07-23-2004 | 06:44 PM
Jspec350z

Thanks for the information guys. I was wondering if the direct power adapter is necessary? Can I just hard wire a telephone cord to power? I was thinking of tapping the rear view mirror with a small length of telephone cord. I just need the wiring diagram of the plug? Anyone know this?
Old 03-05-2011 | 06:38 AM
roywilson

Default valentine hard wire

greetings,
i need to hard wire my valentine one. i have read the posts. i don't live in the US now, and don't have access to any other cords or devices.

the rj11 cord has a red, black, yellow, and green wire. what color goes to what?

i don't think i can pose the question any simpler than that.

regards, roy wilson