Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Can't replace Radio (The sound doesn't work)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 03:10 AM
ernestz350b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't replace Radio (The sound doesn't work)

Im from Spain and im new in this forum. I have a 350Z (2005) 280hp with the BOSE amplyfier.
The problem that i have is that i been trying to replace the OEM radio for the SONY XAVAX100 with 3 different adapters and none of them worked.
I used these from EBAY:

-NISSAN 350 Z ab Bj.03-05 Doppel 2 DIN Radio Blende Rahmen Adapter Radioblende

-Amp Integration Factory Radio Stereo Wire Harness Premium Cable Plug Adapter

-InCar Tec 29-674 - Nissan 350z Bose Amplified Steering Control Interface Adaptor

With the last one the radio turned on but the sound never works. In none of the cases i've cut cables or sth. I have no idea about car audio.
Ive been thinking about changing the amplyfier for one from Clarion or Alpine and change all the audio system (tweeters, normal speakers...) but it's so expensive so meanwhile i just want that the radio works.
I would like to know if the same thing has happened to someone and can help me.
Thanks!
*sorry about my english jeje

Last edited by ernestz350b; 01-17-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:20 AM
khnitz

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

As mentioned in the other thread, this is an adapter that would allow you to retain the factory Bose amplifier and add the Sony radio:
https://pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-...ment/roem-nis2
Old 01-17-2019, 03:53 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by khnitz
As mentioned in the other thread, this is an adapter that would allow you to retain the factory Bose amplifier and add the Sony radio:
https://pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-...ment/roem-nis2
^^^This. It was mentioned in the other thread and this component works to keep the Blose unit at work. (I helped install a "standard interface" HU into a Bose-equipped Z and it worked great; plug n' play).

You COULD install a new amp (and it's pretty much the way to go to improve on the Blose system) but consider that it's not just the amp that will need to be replaced. The sub has to go away as it runs at a very low impedance - like 1/2 (0.5) ohm. Replacing the Bose sub with an aftermarket unit in the factory location isn't that great either (ask me how I know) so you will "need" to either build a sub-enclosure to fit in the factory compartment OR consider going to an external sub-box. There are many pre-built boxes that are ready to drop underneath the rear strut bar.

In my case, I chose a powered sub-box to replace the replacement sub I put in the factory location 5 years ago. Haven't put it in yet but my Nismo had one mounted just behind the storage compartment wall (was in when I bought the car) and it worked really well. So now I can use my 5-channel aftermarket amp to just run in 4-ch mode driving the four mids & mid-highs with the sub supplying its own power. Not terribly elegant or high end but it sounds good enough.

Given all that, just get the interface cable and call it a day if you don't want to upgrade anything but the HU.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM
ernestz350b

Do you have some tutorial or sth to connect that (amplyfier or the roem nis2)? Keep in mind that i have no idea about car audio :I. pd: thankss!
Old 01-18-2019, 11:48 AM
ernestz350b

Do you have a post explaining this with photos? That's an interesting idea. Meanwhile i would go the easy way but i need an explanation about how to connect the HU.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:50 AM
khnitz

The link should have documentation about the installation of the adapter. On the vehicle side, it should be plug and play with the factory radio connectors. On the aftermarket radio side, the colors will match for the different functions between the adapter and the aftermarket radio if they use the standard (US) aftermarket wiring color scheme (Yellow is Constant Power, Red is Switched Power, Black is Ground, and the speaker wires, etc.). If after reviewing the instructions you are not comfortable completing the installation of the adapter, I suggest finding a car stereo shop to work with to add the adapter.

Last edited by khnitz; 01-18-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:29 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by ernestz350b
Do you have a post explaining this with photos? That's an interesting idea. Meanwhile i would go the easy way but i need an explanation about how to connect the HU.
Originally Posted by khnitz
The link should have documentation about the installation of the adapter. On the vehicle side, it should be plug and play with the factory radio connectors. On the aftermarket radio side, the colors will match for the different functions between the adapter and the aftermarket radio if they use the standard (US) aftermarket wiring color scheme (Yellow is Constant Power, Red is Switched Power, Black is Ground, and the speaker wires, etc.). If after reviewing the instructions you are not comfortable completing the installation of the adapter, I suggest finding a car stereo shop to work with to add the adapter.
No, sorry, no pics. My installation was a near-total refresh with complete new cabling and wiring from power source head unit and amp then new wiring out to the speakers from the amp, so it wouldn't be applicable anyhow. And, I didn't do the cabling install, I farmed it out because it was quicker doing it that way and I didn't have a suitable place to work on it when I lived in an apartment building in downtown Oakland. It helped that I pre-marked all the cables so I knew exactly which cable and wire was which when it came time to install the hardware. I just tied it all up with the HU, amp mounting and final wiring.

As khnitz mentions, the ROEM adapter comes with instructions on how to hook it all up OR, if you get any of your components from Crutchfield.com, they supply excellent custom installation instructions on just about everything they sell (or, I believe you can purchase installation instructions from them for your specific car.... any car).

Last edited by MicVelo; 01-18-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:07 AM
ernestz350b

Thanks for all the help guys!
So this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-...JUhm:rk:1:pf:0
Is that the correct one to buy?
The following users liked this post:
Rich-Ashley (12-22-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:01 AM
khnitz

The picture in the ad shows "OEM1" on the adapter box, but the ad description says"Manufacturer Part Number: ROEM-NIS2" and it is the NIS2 that you need. So I would say it is the correct one, but you may want to confirm it with the seller first.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:59 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...ally-done.html

Here is my first audio build in my 03Z, and the thread is mostly related to my custom 10" JL Audio subwoofer build (fiberglass enclosure mounted in the hatch). I still have the car, and it gets babied...its bone stock, mint shape, and has 33k miles on it. VIN is 5000th one made. The audio has since been upgraded with a new HU, a Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX w/ NAV. I added a couple USB ports to the console for interfacing/usb charging, and a 256GB SD card instaleld behind the faceplate holds all of my music library. The factory nav is still operational, but is very outdated and alot of newer roads are not on the map, so most of the time it thinks I am off roading through the countryside. The Pioneer NAV is superb....I have a similar system in my daily driver.

As a side project, I also added the steering audio wheel controls/buttons from an 06 350Z, and added the steering wheel interface (RSC-SWI) to be able to control the Pioneer from the wheel. To do this, I needed to dismantle the steering column, change the clock spring/spiral cable to one from an 06, add an extra wiring harness (to accomodate the wheel button wiring), rewire a few things, and install the steering wheel interface module. The new HU looks incredible, and fits like a glove and my technology is updated again... my only other upgrade plans are to install a PS4, but I haven't been too focused on that since the HU and wheel work was jsut finished over Christmas. I can put up a few pics of the new HU (in the old thread), if anyone wants to see what that HU looks like installed. The rest of the system, remains unchanged, and the Phoenix Gold amps I am using are still running great along with the JL 10W6V2 sub.

Last edited by onecoolee; 01-23-2019 at 04:02 AM. Reason: corrections
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (01-23-2019)