Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

To go aftermarket or keep the Bose that is the?????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 04:40 AM
Stinger1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To go aftermarket or keep the Bose that is the?????????

First of all I have the first year model with the Bose and navigation setup. To those of you thinking of making a change here are the facts. When I test-drove my car I didn't pay much attention to the radio. I was talking with the salesman about performance and safety issues with the car. I just assumed with a name like Bose I was in for a treat. Well those of you who know are chuckling right now. Treat was a far cry from what we all received from Nissan and Bose. I complained enough and was told they would give me a new radio. After the install it did sound better than before but the over all system still could not put out a clean sound. Well, next came the AMP replacement. Those of you know this helped tweak the system to sound like a normal factory stereo. Nothing great but much better than what we started out with. The entire system at this point is still not putting out a clean enough sound for most of us and certainly should not be confused as a premium sound system still. The holdback for most of us doing any kind of upgrade was because we didn't want to lose the look or the voice navigation. And, I am sure most of you like myself had a hard time finding anyone who wanted to tackle the job. Well, I decided to replace the speakers and amps and keep the factory head unit. I figured that would be good enough from what I read in these forums. The Car Stereo Store on Greenville Ave. in Dallas performed this. I had purchased my speakers and subs on the Internet and built my own sub box to fit in the factory location. When they were hooking all this up they pointed out to me the radio and the remanufactured sticker on it. We all thought that was pretty chicken sh*t after being told it would be replace with new. But that's another story, which I have posted in the To Nissan Forum and have been totally slammed by my interpretation of the word NEW! Anyway back to the results. All this investment did was make the already insufficient radio louder. Yes, it could go louder on the volume scale but the highs from my tweeters were so harsh it actually hurt. So after a week of this I contacted The Car Stereo Store and we talked about replacing the head unit and how we could wire the navigation to still function. From reading these forums I knew I needed a head unit with telephone mute. I also wanted an AUX jack for my ipod. We decided on the Eclipse 8443 unit. I want all of you to know the install went beautifully.
They did have to install a separate speaker for navigation but it performs like the factory set up. This was the first 350Z they had performed this on. Bottom line is this! The stereo is now up to my standards. I do spend about two hours a day in my car and that time is spent listening to music. If you are looking for the fix you have to replace that head unit. I don't think you even need to buy real expensive sound equipment. Anything other than the Bose should work. I invested more money than I should buying really high-end stuff. I think others can do it cheaper and still be very happy with the outcome. By the way Sam is the owner at The Car Stereo Store and the installer was Ben. Both great people and their work on my car was first rate. Maybe this information will help some of you save a few dollars on your upgrade.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:57 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink To each his or her own, they say

I'm sorry to hear that you went to all that extra trouble to retain the OEM BOSE HU and ultimately were not satisfied with the end results. After I took delivery on my Z, I too was extremely disappointed with the BOSE audio system that was part of the Z Touring package. I also was hoping for the said BOSE amp replacement to be the solution. We know now that indeed is was NOT.

I was determined to keep the functionality of the existing 6 CD in-dash player. After some significant research, I decided to purchase the AudioLink PD-4 LOC and the CableLink harness. http://www.linkmeup.com/ This specially designed device allowed me to plug right into the original car factory harness (no splicing // no searching for the right colored wires ,etc.) It's the perfect interface for this particular task. I'm very pleased with the final results. Not only does it sound great - but I didn't encroach on the extremely limited interior cargo space. The installation is now absolutely stealth. My current audio system is what it should have been from day one.
Attached Thumbnails To go aftermarket or keep the Bose that is the?????????-350installc.gif  
Old 02-23-2004, 04:46 AM
Stinger1

I thought about your setup but was quickly told it would not improve the signal being put out by the head unit. And, the headunit is where the problem lies on these earlier models.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:55 AM
frankmusic

Cool Enjoy your tunes.

When you say that you were informed about the problem appearing in the 'earlier models', does that mean that the BOSE HU was actually a different model than that of a (for example) 05/03 - 350Z build date? My car was manufactured during that time frame. Now it sounds loud and clean with plenty of thumping bass.

The set up that I have shown, converts the BOSE goofy 2 ohm signal to 4 ohms. The AudioLink LOC also provides two sets of switches for the front & rear. In this way you can leave the one set of speakers that came with the car and change them at a later date. The PD-4 has high and low frequency adjustments too.

The best part is that should a person who chooses this particular path of upgrade, can also swap out the BOSE HU in the future with any choice of after market HU and still be supported by the newer components.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:18 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to ask but where did the PD-4 get installed, by the HU behind the console or all the way in the back? Looking at the picture seems it would go by the HU...

Also, you show 6.5 up front but no tweeters. Did you remove them, or kept the originals, or changed them?

This is 100% what I want to do. Now I just need a good shop to do it right for me...

Last edited by slaponte; 02-23-2004 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Stinger1

Default Re: Enjoy your tunes.

Originally posted by frankmusic
When you say that you were informed about the problem appearing in the 'earlier models', does that mean that the BOSE HU was actually a different model than that of a (for example) 05/03 - 350Z build date? My car was manufactured during that time frame. Now it sounds loud and clean with plenty of thumping bass.

The set up that I have shown, converts the BOSE goofy 2 ohm signal to 4 ohms. The AudioLink LOC also provides two sets of switches for the front & rear. In this way you can leave the one set of speakers that came with the car and change them at a later date. The PD-4 has high and low frequency adjustments too.

The best part is that should a person who chooses this particular path of upgrade, can also swap out the BOSE HU in the future with any choice of after market HU and still be supported by the newer components.

I am not sure when Bose and Nissan came through with any changes but you may have received the updated head unit. Remember, my radio was replaced and my AMP. I am assuming that what I ended up with was as good as what they are using now. Three different car audio shops told me that the problem in the sound quality was in the head unit. I had with me a diagram of a set up using the PD-4 and was told that the unit would do exactly what you said convert the signal to 4 ohms allowing it to be used either way. (Factory head unit with aftermarket speakers or aftermarket head unit with factory speakers.) But, I thought upgrading the speaker and Amps was the solution so I went that direction. I am just stating that the aftermarket head unit is going to make the biggest improvement in sound quality. I did things backwards. I spent 750.00 dollars for AMPS, 300.00 for Subs and another 400.00 dollars for speakers. Plus the cost of about 700.00 dollars to have it all installed . If I had to do over again I would start with a quality head unit and maybe the PD-4 converter. I would of saved a small fortune. I know that the speakers aren't great but they’re as good as what comes in other cars with great sounding systems. I stated earlier that even with all my upgrades, before replacing the head unit, the system was painful to listen to. All my upgrades just seemed to amplify the problem. I know everyone likes differ, but I truly think starting with replacement of the head unit will show the biggest improvement in overall sound quality. Not knocking your setup. If you like it, great! I am just saying if you do put in an aftermarket head unit at sometime, you will know what I am saying. The others on this forum who have replaced the Bose all seem to be extremely happy. Now that I have replaced everything it sounds awesome. But all I was ever trying to get was a clean sound and I think that is obtainable at a lot lesser cost than what I went through.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:38 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So question from the bystanders : Is there a head unit that fits the console as is and holds the 6CDs like the OEM? So same functions+ as the OEM, and fits in place?

(I clarify : with fits the console I mean same face size as the OEM, not a thin regular size HU with filler trim or whatever...)

Last edited by slaponte; 02-23-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:49 PM
frankmusic

Cool It's your choice

Sorry to ask but where did the PD-4 get installed, by the HU behind the console or all the way in the back? Looking at the picture seems it would go by the HU...
The PD-4 will fit neatly behind the existing BOSE HU. On the console you could then install the remote Bass control **** (for even more or less bass)

Also you might want to print out the illustrated diagram above to show to your potential car stereo installer. I did the install myself. I wasn't interested in the thought of having others pulling my car apart. Since the car is relatively new MOST installers are clueless to upgrading the BOSE unit. I went around asking a number of Car Stereo shops about this. Not one of them knew about the LOC that was made for this purpose. They offered to sell me whatever they had on their shelf. Car installers in general will just tell you some erroneous information (as seen above) if they know that you are unaware of your options. The easiest thing for them to do, is to change your whole original set up. They're figuring, why should they try to experiment, when they can sell you everything brand new. It's well worth it for them because of the bucks that they'll make charging you their typical car stereo inflated prices - is part of what they do.

Again, the results were well worth the efforts. The sound is now what it should have been in my Z.

Regarding another HU that will store 6 in dash CDs . . . . that you'll have to some research on.

Last edited by frankmusic; 02-23-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:08 PM
frankmusic

Thumbs up Bass controlling on the fly

Installing the BassLink remote control **** in your Z center console is another nice addition.
Attached Thumbnails To go aftermarket or keep the Bose that is the?????????-zbasscontrol2.gif  
Old 02-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Stinger1

Originally posted by slaponte
So question from the bystanders : Is there a head unit that fits the console as is and holds the 6CDs like the OEM? So same functions+ as the OEM, and fits in place?

(I clarify : with fits the console I mean same face size as the OEM, not a thin regular size HU with filler trim or whatever...)
I don't know of an aftermarket radio with the same specs.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:33 PM
grutter

Default Re: To each his or her own, they say

Hey Frankmusic...

I was wondering if you ever finished your stereo install !
Great idea... where'd you get it <grin>

Another forum member came by to hear my setup and is now doing the same thing.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:54 PM
frankmusic

Default Here he is Folks!!

grutter,

Yes, I completed the system over the holidays. THANKS TO YOU - my installation went smoother than silk.

I have been spreading the 'AudioLink' word, so to speak, on other 350Z forums as well. Sometimes you can help members by sharing the personal stereo adventure. And then there are other times when you just can't seem to convince them that the advice IS very sound and it WILL indeed work.

If anybody is reading this...... and you've got questions about a decent audio upgrade (retaining the BOSE HU)

................grutter is YOUR Man!

Because He IS da MAN!!!

Old 02-26-2004, 05:12 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Originally posted by slaponte

I saw a HU by Nakamichi that is Double din with 6 changer. I don't have a link to it.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:24 AM
lascala26

I had the Bose and PD-4. It was ok, but not amazing. I chose to get rid of it and upgraded to an aftermarket HU. You have no idea what you are missing. The sound is 100 times better. You would have to hear it to believe it. You will not get good sound as long as the source of your signal is the BOSE HU. Look at my signature for my components. Make the change!!! Well worth the price.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:04 AM
Stinger1

Originally posted by lascala26
I had the Bose and PD-4. It was ok, but not amazing. I chose to get rid of it and upgraded to an aftermarket HU. You have no idea what you are missing. The sound is 100 times better. You would have to hear it to believe it. You will not get good sound as long as the source of your signal is the BOSE HU. Look at my signature for my components. Make the change!!! Well worth the price.
Hear! Hear! My point Exactly!
Old 02-28-2004, 05:26 AM
grutter

Originally posted by lascala26
I never suggested that the Bose HU was on-par with most aftermarket HU's. However, most of the sound mangling is done within the Bose amps, not the HU. The nice thing about using the PD4 is that it allows you to replace your amps and speakers, maintain the factory appearance, 6 cd changer, and Nav integration, and eliminate the 'sound compensation microphone input to the Bose system. You'll wind up doing all the steps necessary for a high-end install, except change out the HU. Done right, you wind up with an incredibly improved sound system, and instead of spending $1000 on a great HU, you spend $170 on the LOC's.

I don't want to knock the guys that replace their HU's, it's a great mod and will absolutely improve SQ over the OEM HU. But I can't say that the Z is a vehicle that high SQ is a concern while driving. With Nismo exhaust, RT cats, etc, SQ isn't a major concern.

So the poiont is, there is a good alternative for improved sound for those that would rather keep the stock appearance (I've heard this concern repeated many times, especially from our Roadster members). And if you want to change out the HU in the future, the rest of the system is completed. Just remove the Bose HU and PD4 and replace with your choice of aftermarket HU.

Regarding the comment "you don't know what your missing". You are correct, I don't. I've had members listen to my sound system. It sounds good. I'm satisfied with it. It's an impressive sound with good range. If the system sounded this good from the factory, no-one would be complaining about the sound in the Z.

Last edited by grutter; 02-28-2004 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:40 AM
frankmusic

Thumbs up Thanks Buddy

Unfortunately, to further explain methods and the benefits of upgrading the Z Touring audio system to people that already have their minds made up ....... you will find IS futile.

Although, good job on this effort as well!

Old 02-28-2004, 12:25 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

I can tell you this. Those that NEED (think they do anyway) high quality will only be satisfied with aftermarket EVERYTHING. The reason is, it is that much better. Those of you who are not sure will probably be satisfied with the bose HU and PD4. The key is that you don't know what your missing. If you are not used to a high quality system then most decent systems sound good to you.

Main thing is that you are happy with what you have. I think the PD4 is great because you can easily upgrade it if you want and there is a valid point (for some) in keeping the stock appearance and in dash 6 changer. If you are in this group then sound is not the FIRST priority and you will be happy with a mid-grade system.

I am in the music industry, producer, recording, engineering etc.... The funny thing to me is that I see soooooo many people with all this "top of the line" after market stuff that is tuned with that low thump etc... that it sounds like ***. By the way I have recorded over 100 different drum kits, drummers, samplers etc.. and can tell you that the low thump thing is completely artificial. However with the right music it's a must. (i kinda like it for some stuff but not mainstream rock etc..)

Summary: If you want to upgrade to something that sounds decent and maintains the factory look and in dash 6 then the PD4 with different amp and speakers is the way to go.

If you want a great system toss all the bose stuff in the trash and start from scratch.

TIP for those shopping for speakers... when you go listen in the stores to audition speakers bring YOUR OWN cds so you know what it is supposed to sound like. Also, make sure that you run the HU with the EQ settings flat so you hear the natural response of the speakers. Also make sure you listen at different levels because a lot of speakers don't come to life until a certain volume level.

BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK..... Keep it stock.....Keep it turned off......listen to the engine purrrrrrrrr.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:04 PM
frankmusic

Smile True Enough

The funny thing to me is that I see soooooo many people with all this "top of the line" after market stuff that is tuned with that low thump etc... that it sounds like ***.
I do agree with that assessment. I too, have participated in many studio sessions. I was on the other side of the glass....playing the drums. While suffice to say that I'm NOT tone deaf, I think that it is more a matter of what one hopes to derive from a particular upgrade. Some people might want to be heard in the next state. (more dynamat - more dynamat)

When grutter began his research on a 350Z BOSE upgrade, most members had told him that installers were saying that this was impossible. I'm here to say that it is not. Besides, it IS a dramatic improvement. He often lends his advice to others on many other electronic mods with the 350Z. He is always quick to offer good advice for those who are interested and he doesn't throw stones at others offering half baked opinions.

I like the fact that I did NOT succumb to shelling out $2000 or $3000 for a complete outright swap. (not to mention what they might have to have paid a shop for all the new goodies that were installed - YIKES!)

Again, you're right when you state that this method will work for some people, but there are others who may still be unhappy. So be it.