Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

amp noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 12:50 AM
JamHooks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry amp noise

does anyone have problems with engine noise, when they put in aftermarket amps? What I really want to know is there a proper ground point in the z? Because that motor noise is makeing me crazy? I have filters on the amp now but I like the clean sound of the amp. Any suggestions would be helpfull
Old 03-02-2004, 03:28 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

It sounds like you have a ground loop or basically a difference in potential from the ground on the radio to the ground on your amps. When this difference in potential exists, noise enters the system. You will have 2 options to fix it, try a couple different ground locations, keeping the ground as short as possible. OR get rid of the factory head unit and install an aftermarket head unit. Either of these methods will work, but tracking down ground loop problems can be very nerveracking ! So it may be easier to install a new head unit. The only other way for noise to enter the system is inductively, ie via the rca wires beng too close to computers or power wires.

Here is a link on helping to find your problem, a technical paper by one of my favorite comapnies, AudioControl:
http://www.audiocontrol.com/techpapers/tech1002.pdf

Good luck finding your problem, and you can always put in a new head unit, if you cannot figure out your ground loop problem...so I guess its always good to have a backup plan.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
JamHooks

thanks....0h it was the aftermarket head unit. (pioneer 6500dvd) The rca lines have no grounding sheild, or not a very good one. We grounded it prob solved.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:07 PM
grutter

Originally posted by JamHooks
thanks....0h it was the aftermarket head unit. (pioneer 6500dvd) The rca lines have no grounding sheild, or not a very good one. We grounded it prob solved.
I posted the results of a similar problem some time ago. Also found the problem to be the RCA cables. Beware of "directional" cables with grounding only on one end. They can also introduce engine noise.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:00 PM
JamHooks

thanks again. I ckd that already. It was the wireing harness on the head unit like i said. But now I got new problems. My gps sending unit is not sending. So I gotta take the whole thing apart again to see if it was pluged in. Maybe the fix is thru the head unit. I reset the head and that didn't work. Im gonna try resetting the navi. itself (pioneer nav).I'm almost pos. that everything was in place, when we put it back together. Well I was working on the backup cam. When my friend was putting the headunit back in.