Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My amp always stays on!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 09:53 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My amp always stays on!

Is this supposed to happen or is it just me? I don't want my battery to die while im sleeping overnight. Is there any way to avoid this?? I hooked up the remote wire to my audio fuse in my fuse block. Someone please help!!! Im going to be so pissed if my car doesn't start tomorrow morning.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:03 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Your remote wire should be going to your remote turn on wire behind the radio. This way your amp only turns on when your radio is on. Your fuse block is always getting power from the battery because it's a wire connected directly to it.

Got a pic of how you set it up?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:23 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Well im about to go to sleep in a few, so I'll post a pic tomorrow morning. Do you think it would be ok to keep it how it is, or will the amp drain my battery? I can't hook up the remote wire behind my head unit because I have the stock. I dunno what to do
Old 03-25-2004, 01:17 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As D@active tuning said, you should not have your remote turn on connected into the power block because it will always be pulling power from the battery. Instead the remote turn on lead should be tapped into a 12 volt source like the cigarette lighter that is only on when the car is on.

I would think that you shouldn't leave it connected to the constant wire because you don't want to have the extra strain on the battery all the time when the car is off. And i'm not sure but it could also affect the amp in some way.

Rajiv
Old 03-25-2004, 07:13 AM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Could I hook it up to anything other than my cigarette lighter?
Old 03-25-2004, 07:45 AM
D@ActiveTuning

The wire that I said....or anything essentially that turns on when the car turns on (and stays on). Every audio installer hooks it up to the remote turn on wire behind the radio usually.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:51 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Accordign to your mods list, you are using the factory head unit...which DOES not have a remote turn on output. So, you will have to create one, or use a switch to turn on/off your amp.

Some companies make a remote turn on rca adapter...which has the abilty to sense output from the headunit, and from there, it actually creates a remote turn on lead. Without this lead, your equipment will always be on, unless you hook up a push button or toggle switch I mentioned above. The current draw from a large amp probably won't kill your battery overnight, but after a couple days, maybe. To me, I would worry more about the amp staying on 24/7 than the battery. This is a problem that I would get fixed soon...

At the very least, hook the amps remote turn on to the ignition on, 12v position behind the head unit, so that it won't turn on unless you are actually in the car, and the car is running or keys in the on position. If you listen to the stereo in your car whenever you are in it, this situation will work out fine...I have a very basic system in my Pathfinder with factory head unit that has it hooked up this way, and it works out ok.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:09 AM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

So the nonbose factory head unit does have a remote turn on? Does anyone happen to know what color the wire is?
Old 03-25-2004, 10:29 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by onecoolee
[B]Accordign to your mods list, you are using the factory head unit...which DOES not have a remote turn on output. So, you will have to create one, or use a switch to turn on/off your amp.

stock hu DOES NOT have remote turn on lead.
you will have to find an alternative source.

Rajiv
Old 03-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the stock head unit in my truck with an amp and a sub... i have the switch hidden in a compartment in the middle. there has been a few times where i've had a brain fart and forgot to turn it off, sometimes over night. everytime, the battery seemed just fine and didnt seem to lose power. i think the only that uses power is the LED indicator. so, i dont know. my 2 cents.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:30 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

I decided to go ahead and install a toggle switch for my amp since its only temporary until I get a head unit. Sorry theres no pics up, I left my camera at work and its missing! Thanks for everyones help.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:58 AM
regis

The stock HU does have a wire to use as a remote turn on.

The antenna amp gets a signal when the HU is powered on.

I think the color is green/white.

anyway the wire comes out of the plug and then runs with the coax for the antenna.