Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Lilliput or Xenarc?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:48 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lilliput or Xenarc?

Any thoughts on which to get if I'm doing the 7" VGA touchscreen for the in-car pc? Or are they essentially the same screen?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:05 PM
yoonakron

I'm a little biased on this, since I just got a Xenarc and I'm very pleased with it. Hoever, I spent DAYS going through threads on both brands to get pros & cons. Of course, it's always easier to find more cons than pros, but my conclusion is that the Xenarc was the "safer" route to go. "Safer" meaning that I found *less* instances in which the Xenarc started malfunctioning within days of use (or even out of the box). That's not to say it hasn't happened, just fewer *reported* comments. If money isn't an issue, go with the Xenarc and have some peace of mind. To be fair, I have also read a lot of threads in which people loved their Lilliputs.

Old 04-01-2004, 03:47 AM
D@ActiveTuning

What was the cost on the Xenarc and where did you get it?
Old 04-01-2004, 06:35 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Also, did you have a write-up of how you did the install?

For anybody else, here's a good thread making a comparison of the two monitors:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=23908
Old 04-01-2004, 07:51 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my xenarc didnt work the first time, the touchscreen anyway.

but the second did work and I love it.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:14 AM
afr0puff

One thing in that comparison of the brightness, is that they are using the older generation Xenarc model. The new Xenarc models will be the same in terms of brightness. And this is without the added Superbright modification. I heard the problems with lilliput are due to them being refurbished/recycled parts.

I went with a Xenarc for peace of mind. I had one dead pixel on mine. By law they are allowed to have four I think. However, they still replaced mine under warranty. Good Customer service.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:17 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Cool, thanks guys I'll be getting the Xenarc...working with them now to see if there's something we can do.

Any recommendations in terms of a low cost mobile PC that is fairly powerful? I would like to play DVD's, maybe throw a USB tv tuner on it, GPS, internet, and be able to play games possibly.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:14 PM
yoonakron

Originally posted by D@ActiveTuning
Also, did you have a write-up of how you did the install?

For anybody else, here's a good thread making a comparison of the two monitors:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=23908
You can get them at www.avdeals.com or www.hometechwonders.com. The Xenarcs are less than MSRP there and shipping's free. Mine is the older screen (700V) without the upgraded high-brightness CCFL, and it's still pretty good. I've got 2 dead pixels and to be honest, it's not too noticeable. Definitely make sure you get one of the VGA models since you're using it for PC applications.

I had Good Guys do my install, so I can't help you with a write-up. I do have semi-step-by-step pictures of the install, though I doubt they would help. I do know that you're going to have to take it out of the plastic housing to get it into the nav pocket space, which means bye-bye warranty. Then again, the modificiations I needed were for a 2003, you make be able to use a different approach for the 2004.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:34 PM
asindragon

Hey Yoon that's a nice screen, been looking for an answer to filling that pocket but I have an 04' so its a little bit tougher. I've actually seen your car at the Goodguys my friends work there. Nice job on the car. Just wanted to say nice job on the car. That Sony deck was a special order from Japan right?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:09 PM
yoonakron

Originally posted by asindragon
Hey Yoon that's a nice screen, been looking for an answer to filling that pocket but I have an 04' so its a little bit tougher. I've actually seen your car at the Goodguys my friends work there. Nice job on the car. Just wanted to say nice job on the car. That Sony deck was a special order from Japan right?
asindragon, thanks for the comments. Yeah, I special ordered that thing from Japan. Have you ever had your Z in at Good Guys? I went there one time to check on my car, and there were 2 Z's in the install bay (mine, and a Daytona Blue). AND they were pulling in a Black Z too! Any one of those happen to be yours?