Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

!!Pioneer AVIC-N1!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 07:38 PM
zonester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!Pioneer AVIC-N1!!!

Hey guys! Trying to install this baby but came across a problwm. THis unit has Built in GPS and to make it work right I have to connect a lead from the reciever labled "speed detection circuit lead" to "vehicle injection computer" according to the manual. IT suppose to detect the distance the vehicle travels.

This unit also has a built in dynamic display that sees the voltage, acceleration, angular velocity, few other doo dats. I beilieve that's another reason why I need this "speed detection circuit".
Greatly appreciate any help.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:25 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I installed the AVIC-N1 in my G35 coupe. According to someone on g35driver.com, the speed detection wire on the G35c is the green/white wire that is connected to a brown connector. This is located behind the radio. Assuming Nissan is consistent, you might try looking for something similar.
Attached Thumbnails !!Pioneer AVIC-N1!!!-doubledin-040.jpg  
Old 04-05-2004, 11:26 AM
pablosbrain

More likely its to keep you from watching DVDs while in transit and also to keep you from changing your travel parameters while moving as well.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:40 PM
alexj74

Hey Zonester, looking into getting the same head unit and was wondering how hard it would be to install by yourself. I previously installed a Pioneer CD/Sirius head unit and was wondering how much more wiring there is? I have all the wiring harnesses from my previous install, what do you think? I really want to do it myself so I can save a couple hundred if I purchase it through E-bay.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:48 PM
JJGALIA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey xswl0931

I thought the avic n-1 does everything? So what is that other head unit doing under the avic?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:27 PM
xswl0931

Default Re: Hey xswl0931

Originally posted by JJGALIA
I thought the avic n-1 does everything? So what is that other head unit doing under the avic?
The AVIC-N1 does do everything, but it only has a single DVD-ROM, so if you want to play CD's (like MP3 cd's) you have to eject teh nav dvd and put in the cd. It has a memory nav feature so that the nav continues to work if you already have a route in so the cd an play and you get guidance, but I wanted to avoid swapping nav in and out if I want to search for POI (point of interest), plus I had the DEH-9400MP from my Pathfinder which I no longer drive since getting the G35c (but still own). So I installed that in the AUX input of the AVIC-N1. Works pretty good although the DEH-9400MP has more audio options than the AVIC-N1 so I would prefer to hook the AVIC-N1 to the AUX input of the DEH-9400MP but would lose auto mute for driving guidance, oh well.

As for the wire, I believe the speed detection wire is used when the nav loses connection to a GPS satellite (like going through a tunnel) so it can still estimate where you are at. It doesn't have anything to do with preventing usage of nav/dvd playing while driving. There is a seperate wire that you are supposed to connect to the parking brake that does that. You just have to ground it and the unit will think the parking brake is always on. Pretty easy.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:12 PM
iklim

is the screen size 7" or 6.5"?
Old 04-06-2004, 02:37 AM
supsup

xswl0931
so i want to know how is the sound quality of the N1?
how many EQ bands?
can u take some photo of it in some menu mode?
also is there any graph on the monitor when u play cd with N1?
thax
Old 04-06-2004, 03:44 PM
xswl0931

Originally posted by supsup
xswl0931
so i want to know how is the sound quality of the N1?
how many EQ bands?
can u take some photo of it in some menu mode?
also is there any graph on the monitor when u play cd with N1?
thax
The sound is definately better than the "premium" Bose headunit, but I'm still using the stock speakers. I plan on getting my Infinity Kappas in a week or so.

Only 3 band parametric equalizer.

I'll try to post some pics tonight after I get home from work.

Haven't played a cd yet on the N1 as I'm using my other unit. However, if it's like Radio play, there isn't any spectrum analyzer (lame!). I just keep it on the nav or vehicle dynamics display.

Speaking of the vehicle dynamics, it wasn't a major consideration, but it's pretty neat. They have 3 guages with 8 different settings. Looks like they have everything needed to compute horsepower and 0-60 times, but they don't do it. Maybe a firmware upgrade later on will provide that functionality. (doubtful)
Old 04-06-2004, 11:13 PM
xswl0931

If you haven't been to http://www.avic-n1.com, you should go there first.

Here's a few pics. This first one is the vehicle dynamics.
Attached Thumbnails !!Pioneer AVIC-N1!!!-doubledin-046.jpg  
Old 04-06-2004, 11:15 PM
xswl0931

Here's the radio menu.
Attached Thumbnails !!Pioneer AVIC-N1!!!-doubledin-048.jpg  
Old 04-06-2004, 11:17 PM
xswl0931

Here's the equalizer menu
Attached Thumbnails !!Pioneer AVIC-N1!!!-doubledin-049.jpg  
Old 04-06-2004, 11:18 PM
xswl0931

Finally, here's the nav menu. So far, I'm pretty happy with the unit.
Attached Thumbnails !!Pioneer AVIC-N1!!!-doubledin-051.jpg  
Old 04-07-2004, 12:24 AM
outkast564

those of you who already have avic-n1 installed where did you guys put your gps antenna and how hard is it to find the back up lamp signal?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:49 AM
supsup

yeah ...how hard to install DIY?
how long it take?
what are the major points on doin install?

thax for helping guys..
Old 04-07-2004, 08:16 AM
xswl0931

My install was in a G35c so it's a little different than the 350z most likely.

If you've ever installed a car stereo, then it's not much more difficult. The only additional things you have to do is:

1. install the seperate unit, this I installed under the driver seat
2. hide wires, I was able to hide this under the carpet from the seat to the head unit and around the back seats for the rear
3. hookup speed detection wire, you need a service manual or someone with a service manual to figure out where that is
4. hookup gps, there's a nice corner in the back in the corner next to my 6x9 speaker where I could put the gps antenna, didn't even need to use the sticker as it was just the right size that the antenna doesn't move around
5. hookup reverse signal, just need to tap into reverse light assembly
6. hookup parking brake signal (or ground it if you want to simulate the parking brake is always engaged)

Took me about 4 hours, your mileage may vary.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:13 AM
zonester

Hey guys, I can get these units through my work at dealer cost. I can get it for you as a "demo" unit. I don't want to **** off any retailers in this forum but I'd be happy to get few of them for anyone here at this forum. My dealer cost is $1760. LEt me know if you want it. PM me and I can discuss payment issue.

NOW. I have one more question. Is is necessary to tap into reverse signal just like speed detection wire... Please help.

Rich
Old 04-07-2004, 09:15 AM
zonester

does anyone have service/shop manual that can help me with location of speed detection lead?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:20 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Please see your other thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=68842

Problem solved !

I took alot of time to cut/paste from the shop manual to solve your problem, and hopefulyl others can benefit from my work.

Everyone here doing any upgrades at all should have a Factory Service Manual--its hard to put a price on its worth. GO BUY ONE ! (or contact me)...
Old 04-07-2004, 11:49 AM
zonester

Default Pro...

Originally posted by alexj74
Hey Zonester, looking into getting the same head unit and was wondering how hard it would be to install by yourself. I previously installed a Pioneer CD/Sirius head unit and was wondering how much more wiring there is? I have all the wiring harnesses from my previous install, what do you think? I really want to do it myself so I can save a couple hundred if I purchase it through E-bay.
I would recommend you get a pro to install. It's not that hard but there are tons of wires to terminate and time consuming issues. You also have to buy wire harness kit, new 1 Din kit, ect..
HOWEVER< if you treat your car like your own kid like myself (cuase I don't have one) , I wouldn't trust anyone to just install. They'll just hack things and not tell you about it until you discover it later. By that time its too late to point fingers.

Quick Reply: !!Pioneer AVIC-N1!!!