Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

0 Guage

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 11:17 AM
tractng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tacomaboy,

I finally got the grille to sit flush (at least one side). I over sanded the right grille and now it has a hold. I just ordered another one. I will keep on trying to get it perfect.

I kind of wish I live closer to you so we can do the sub box man. I was thinking about that box too. I recently build a small fiberglass box in the stock location. My first fiberglass experience. But I am looking to build another box.

The key thing is try to use a rolller instead of the brush. I never used cotton over a resin mat. A mat is so hard to use.

By the way, whats the difference between resin and fiberglass? Is resin a "liquid" and fiberglass is called when it is dried up?

Tony
Old 10-11-2004, 11:28 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my understanding, and I have not yet done this (I will practice on somethign small first...)

The resin and hardener are the *goop* that you spread onto the fiberglass (which is the fabric like material). The fiberglass gives the strength, but the resin gives the hardness...

Its like paper mache on crack I think.

I also have a power sander which should help....
Old 10-11-2004, 11:35 AM
jizzler

nice setup i had the same problem with the doors, took me and my friend several hours to get my speakers and panels on. My grill doesnt cover up my speaker either. I am hoping sanding it down will do the trick. I'm running cdt es620 at the front, and left the rears out. Those are enough for me
Old 10-11-2004, 01:02 PM
mumra

I dont have a lot of time right now but the big thing about mounting the door speakers really doesn’t as much to do with depth as it does with where the speaker is mounted. The window will interfere with speakers with large magnets almost regardless of the speaker spacer. Rule of thumb...if you have speakers with large magnets, you are better off moving the speaker hole a little farther away from the window than building a very deep speaker spacer.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:13 PM
tacomaboy

Pics so far...
Everything is done, rear speakers have changed a bit. I pulled the rear tweets and XOvers and need to tune for midbass, and I am working the sub box now. Its a pain.

And the page has a looong way to go as well.

http://www.tacoma.tzo.com/Z_Install.htm
Old 10-15-2004, 09:40 PM
tractng

tacomaboy,

The front speakers look like it wouldn't be touching the grille at all. Nice job.

Tony
Old 10-15-2004, 11:11 PM
mumra

hey tacoma...i was checking out your website and noticed you went to Mexico for the honeymoon. What did you think of the place you stayed at? Was it good or did you think you may have been able to do better? I am trying to plan my honeymoon for july of 05.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=95173

Stereo is looking good. Im waiting to see your sub though
Old 10-15-2004, 11:24 PM
tractng

mumra,

I just came back from Puerto Vallarta. Really relaxing place. The package was like $590 per person (inclusive resort). Includes free meal, flight, and board. The food was great. Nice people there too. I stay at the Melia.

I have been to Cancun. Its a party town, so don't go there for the honeymoon. Hawaii was ok.

Let me know if u need more info.

Tony
Old 10-17-2004, 07:08 AM
tacomaboy

We went to Play Del Carmen and stayed at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo.

It was friggin beautiful. We stayed 5 nights it cost with air, from Austin 2100 all inclusive. So the price can not be beat. Bring about 1000 for xtras. Food was not great. If you go expecting that, youll be happy. We went expecting great food so we were disappointed.

Also, we spent too much time IMO shopping at PlayaCar. My wife loooooves shopping. I love the beach. So thats my big regret. But there is always next year right?

I have been to Puerto Rico as well, and I prefer P.R. but for the money, if you stay in the touristy areas, Mexico is a better deal. But overall P.R. is a more beautiful place.

We are going to Vegas for our Anniversary. Good luck and congrats!!
Old 10-17-2004, 07:10 AM
tacomaboy

Yeah the front speakers were a PITA till I decided to cannibalize the OEM front speakers then they fit PERFECTLY.

The sub is on its way. The box anf FG are done. It needs to be trimmed sanded and body filled. No process pics, sorry. I had zero help doing it, so I couldnt take any pics. It was hard enough as it is. So far it came out nice, the fg is not even, so it may or may not work... but I am hopeful.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:31 PM
mumra

Thanks for the info guys! I am looking into both places and weighing my options. So many places to consider...

Oh, and have fun in vegas! Just went there about a month ago and had a kick *** time!
Old 10-20-2004, 08:26 AM
tacomaboy

OK, I have moved to a 350Z tech forum. I hope to meet some guys there. I hate waiting 3 days to find any responses. Sorry yall. This was such a great site other than the down time, which COMPLETELY ruined it.

- ZBOY at 350Z tech forums
Old 10-20-2004, 08:57 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by mumra
Thanks for the info guys! I am looking into both places and weighing my options. So many places to consider...

Oh, and have fun in vegas! Just went there about a month ago and had a kick *** time!
You might want to consider Cancun. I stayed at the Blue Bay Village there on my honeymoon. VERY pimp. Plus the cost was like ~1500 then and it included airfare, all meals, and all drinks at the hotel...
Old 10-20-2004, 04:03 PM
ZZZealous007

Originally posted by tacomaboy
From my understanding, and I have not yet done this (I will practice on somethign small first...)

The resin and hardener are the *goop* that you spread onto the fiberglass (which is the fabric like material). The fiberglass gives the strength, but the resin gives the hardness...

Its like paper mache on crack I think.

I also have a power sander which should help....
Dont forget to use a respirator. Fiberglass particles and resin fumes have cancerous properties.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:44 PM
tacomaboy

I have been using a very thick mask for paint fumes. I cannot smell the resin with it on. Hopefully it should help.