Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

High-End Audio Build Complete!!! (McIntosh, Morel, Seas Lotus Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:02 PM
JimRHIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude ... its not a big deal to mount them in the factory spot ... I promise you

All you need is a drill press and a 2" bit ... or some steady hands and a pair of clamps and a table.

I can't find any pics on this computer here ... but I have put tons of tweeters up there. If you don't want to drill those ... you can put them into the kick panels no problem. That takes all of .... oh 25 seconds and a phillips head screwdriver
Old 05-13-2007, 10:04 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by kwame@z1
Just when I think I am satisified you are making me second guess my installer. Looks like I will be driving up to CT this week, but is it too late? Can the tweeter still be mounted elsewhere?
Your installer isn't wrong on puttting them there ... and they will sound fine there to most any ears that hear them ... but if I was dropping five figures on my audio system ... I'd want every last bit of performance out of it.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

So you want me to mount them in the sail panels, but to remove the makeshift grill that covers the stock tweeters?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:51 AM
HARRYPOTTER

all I did was drill the correct size hole in the sail panel, and shoved the tweeter right in...the focal tweeters are a good fit, and it looks really good too...

but he's right it's really simple.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 AM
QdotJ

I must admit that the sail panel blocks alot of the sound coming from the tweeters. I was washing my car on Saturday and could the tweeter a bit better from the outside of the car and inside. I never noticed before.

With my new Morel Dotech MKII's I have the tweeters in the kick panel; I can actually hear them now..

I'm thinking of flush mounting them and dropping them a bit lower and closer to the midrange. Where they are now keeps my size 14's from touching them.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:28 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

^
I originally had my DLS tweets mounted in about the same place in my kick panels. When I was sitting in the seat, I could not see the tweeter- it was hidden under the dash- which meant the sound was being blocked too. I lowered them and moved them closer to the doors and am much happier.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:37 PM
NoahzBurnt

kwame.....meause the overall diameter of the flush mount cup that comes with those tweeters...go to Home Depot and get a hole cutter drill bit thing....drill the tweeter using one of the stock little holes as a pilot hole and cut out that bad boy.....pop in the flush mount cup...pop in the tweet and you will have a nice set-up.....most high-end installs I have done I leave the tweeters behind the stock grills because it looks cleaner and most people don't know the differcne....the competition SQ cars I have owned have all had work done to image and prevent blocking of the tweeter

the offer stands if u ever wanna tune her to your liking!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 03:24 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
kwame.....meause the overall diameter of the flush mount cup that comes with those tweeters...go to Home Depot and get a hole cutter drill bit thing....drill the tweeter using one of the stock little holes as a pilot hole and cut out that bad boy.....pop in the flush mount cup...pop in the tweet and you will have a nice set-up.....most high-end installs I have done I leave the tweeters behind the stock grills because it looks cleaner and most people don't know the differcne....the competition SQ cars I have owned have all had work done to image and prevent blocking of the tweeter

the offer stands if u ever wanna tune her to your liking!!!
Well the shop is going to do most of the tuning, but if I don't like how it comes out I will take you up your offer. Don't expect a phone call anytime soon as I am a long long way from driving this car.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Mr_Drifter

as far as tweeter placement goes, i agree...the stock location blocked a lot of the sound, plus it put the damn things right next to your ear. I went another route and custom mounted them in my doors. Now they are lower and can swivel 360 degrees. The sound is perfect to me. see attachment.

High-End Audio Build Complete!!! (McIntosh, Morel, Seas Lotus Inside)-new-hu-007.jpg
Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Mr_Drifter
as far as tweeter placement goes, i agree...the stock location blocked a lot of the sound, plus it put the damn things right next to your ear. I went another route and custom mounted them in my doors. Now they are lower and can swivel 360 degrees. The sound is perfect to me. see attachment.

Attachment 146164
I went over the tweeters with my installer and the way they are really is the perfect spot for them. We looked at the different options when i was there yesterday and trying to cut the grill and mount them flush with this style of tweeter really isn't the look I am going for. Not to mention the stock looking sail panel doesn't bring anymore uneccessary (sp?) attention to the interior (Stereo wise).

Mr. Drifter. your install is clean it looks good.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 AM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
^
I originally had my DLS tweets mounted in about the same place in my kick panels. When I was sitting in the seat, I could not see the tweeter- it was hidden under the dash- which meant the sound was being blocked too. I lowered them and moved them closer to the doors and am much happier.
Here is a "photoshop" rendition of the tweeter in a lower position;(rush job only spent a few mins on it.) I must admit that the sound is a bit brighter from the passenger side, not to mention I can actually see the tweeter. I will grab my hole saw today or this weekend and move the tweets down a bit. Trial and error.

Last edited by QdotJ; 03-18-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:14 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Originally Posted by QdotJ
Here is a "photoshop" rendition of the tweeter in a lower position;(rush job only spent a few mins on it.) I must admit that the sound is a bit brighter from the passenger side, not to mention I can actually see the tweeter. I will grab my hole saw today or this weekend and move the tweets down a bit. Trial and error.
That's the ticket. I used some velcro to move them to different places and found that area the best (except for the dash, which sounded pretty good.) Aim them up and in (I use a laser pointer just to be extra geeky). Unless you get them up above your legs and such, you'll always hear the passenger side a bit more... your brain will compensate. Then get a processor with time alignment and have some fun.

Last edited by DVFlyer; 05-16-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Kwame

Talking The Fiberglassing Begins !!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 06:50 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

!
Old 05-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Kwame

Thumbs up AMP Racks

Guys these aren't the finished products at all, I just asked the shop to take prelim. pictures to show you guys...

Old 05-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Kwame

Talking This is how you fit 2 12" Subwoofers in a Z and keep most of your trunk space.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:47 AM
HARRYPOTTER

wow...you are going to need a power upgrade after this monster of a syatem is complete...lol....nice fiberglass work...

you pleased with it so far?....those sub boxes must be CRAZY thick
Old 05-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Kwame

I am only gaining maybe 40lbs over what the car would have weighed with the spare, jack, tools and the side foams still installed.

Am I pleased? Every car i buy from now on will only be worked on by this shop. This is my 3rd stereo install and obviously the most elaborate, but in the same breath I can say it has been the most enjoyable for me and I think it is solely because of the shop.

By the way here is the shop's info for anyone who is interested:

Custom Alarm Radio & Sunroof Corp
(203) 637-5584
1380 East Putnam Ave
Greenwich, CT 06830

Ask for Mike, very very cool guy.

Last edited by Kwame; 05-18-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:10 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Love the sub boxes.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great, cant wait to see the finished result though i persoanlly may have put the amps int he trunk in the stock spare portion to but i think they are going for a window display for hte amps whcih is very cool too

b

Quick Reply: High-End Audio Build Complete!!! (McIntosh, Morel, Seas Lotus Inside)