Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

High-End Audio Build Complete!!! (McIntosh, Morel, Seas Lotus Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
looks great, cant wait to see the finished result though i persoanlly may have put the amps int he trunk in the stock spare portion to but i think they are going for a window display for hte amps whcih is very cool too

b
There isn't enough space to get all three mac amps in the hatch floor and keep them all in one plane. So I told them I would like to place them back there behind the acrylic cut outs. I still want to keep as much trunk space as possible for those nice days when I am driving the car around all day running errands.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:13 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Man that's coming along great. I can not wait to see it all finished.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:20 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kwame@z1
I am only gaining maybe 40lbs over what the car would have weighed with the spare, jack, tools and the side foams still installed.

Am I pleased? Every car i buy from now on will only be worked on by this shop. This is my 3rd stereo install and obviously the most elaborate, but in the same breath I can say it has been the most enjoyable for me and I think it is solely because of the shop.

By the way here is the shop's info for anyone who is interested:

Custom Alarm Radio & Sunroof Corp
(203) 637-5584
1380 East Putnam Ave
Greenwich, CT 06830

Ask for Mike, very very cool guy.
hmm.. i work in Greenwich
Old 05-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Kwame

I got this little present in the mail today. A 240 amp alternator powdercoated blue! Sickness!!!

I figured with the 3 Mcintosh amps I don't want anything taking away from the next part of my build. Here is a little peak...

Old 05-26-2007, 06:25 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice......
Old 05-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Z1truth

I got this little present in the mail today. A 240 amp alternator powdercoated blue! Sickness!!!

I figured with the 3 Mcintosh amps I don't want anything taking away from the next part of my build. Here is a little peak...

Very very nice...........Who built the 240 amp alternator? I never knew they could do one that high?
Old 05-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Z1truth
Very very nice...........Who built the 240 amp alternator? I never knew they could do one that high?
I had SGP racing custom build one for me. Give them a call and ask for Mark. 240 amps was the biggest available and as is such I wanted to make sure that I was going to be safe.

Last edited by Kwame; 05-26-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Kwame

I just got back in from the shop and I took some pictures of my own.

I had the shop make me a custom shift boot and parking brake lever to match my personal steering wheel. Everything is set to match the blue in my steering wheel. The material we used is a faux alcantara, real alcantara is a licensed product and cannot be purchased from the manufacturer, I decided against ultrasuede because this will hold up alot better.

Now here is where we are with the rear. Of course it is not complete. I requested that the floor surrounding the amp be changed to carpet instead of the vinyl so that will be changed this week. In addition, there will be an acrylic piece going over the amp in the recessed location to both protect the amp and to make the floor flushed. In addition the vinyl on the passenger side subwoofer will be redone to get rid of the wrinkles.

My buddy Mike at the shop fired up the system for me, even though it is completely untuned and I must say I was floored. I can't wait till this phase of my build is done. More updates to follow...

Last edited by Kwame; 05-26-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:29 PM
BlueBoxer

Wow, that is awesome. . .
Old 05-28-2007, 10:38 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

I'm diggin' that for sure. I agree, I think the floor will look better in carpet (or you could always just cover with your stock carpet when not in "show" mode. ).

Do they have to recover the sub enclosure or can wrinkles like that be fixed with a heat gun? I wonder if carpet on those would look better too once you change the floor?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
I'm diggin' that for sure. I agree, I think the floor will look better in carpet (or you could always just cover with your stock carpet when not in "show" mode. ).

Do they have to recover the sub enclosure or can wrinkles like that be fixed with a heat gun? I wonder if carpet on those would look better too once you change the floor?
My installer called me today and informed me that he had already reupholstered the floor panels in black carpet and re upholstered the vinyl on the sub enclosures. Carpet on the sub enclosure would stand out wayyyyyy too much. It would look like a prefabed sub enclosure that you could buy from any place that sells audio equipment.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:25 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great kwame i am working on a rathe rhigh end install also, lets see who gets done first most likely you since i just started on this car hehe
Old 05-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Fluid1

One question: amplifier cooling?

Incredible work. Stunning.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Ichigo

I am not worried about putting expensive equipment in my car. I don't live my life in fear, thats why I have riders on my insurance and we have motion sensors in the shop.
Not to get off topic, but I tried getting my insurance company to carry additional riders on my policy to cover stereo gear, they said no deal, even when I said I WANT TO PAY MORE INSURANCE to cover it. They said all they would only cover is equipment that is still in the factory location so my radio and front speakers are covered but everything else would be a loss....

The gear looks incredible, are you going to lay down sound deadening?

Last edited by Ichigo; 05-29-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Fluid1
One question: amplifier cooling?

Incredible work. Stunning.
I'm not sure what you are asking? If you are refering to the amp locations, the amps have built in fans for cooling and those compartments have more than enough airspace for proper circulation.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Not to get off topic, but I tried getting my insurance company to carry additional riders on my policy to cover stereo gear, they said no deal, even when I said I WANT TO PAY MORE INSURANCE to cover it. They said all they would only cover is equipment that is still in the factory location so my radio and front speakers are covered but everything else would be a loss....

The gear looks incredible, are you going to lay down sound deadening?
Who is your insurance company?

There was only sound deadening material added to the front doors.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Kwame

looks great kwame i am working on a rathe rhigh end install also, lets see who gets done first most likely you since i just started on this car hehe
What equipment will you be using?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:53 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

i will give you one guess lol you should honestly know since its me

i would say compare to your install, probably end up costing similar, you will have more in equipment cost, this install may have a little more in labor part...but different purposes, this is more of a show car with good sq, rather than an all out SQ assault

acutally, looking at what you have again... i think your instlal should probably be quite a bit more expensive than this one i am working on

b
Old 05-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Kwame

i will give you one guess lol you should honestly know since its me

i would say compare to your install, probably end up costing similar, you will have more in equipment cost, this install may have a little more in labor part...but different purposes, this is more of a show car with good sq, rather than an all out SQ assault

acutally, looking at what you have again... i think your instlal should probably be quite a bit more expensive than this one i am working on

b
Bing, sounds good I am looking forward to seeing this install once it is done.

I think next time I embark on an install of this caliber I will be going the route of using all high-end audison equipment. I would have used it in this car but the signature blue of the Mac pieces just go better with the theme.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:54 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

whenever you get into the range of the high end amps: audison, genesis, DLS, Zapco, Mac, etc etc...they will all work well...

i am still itching to do an install wtih the top o fhte line DLS tube amps...but i doubt anyone here have the budget hehehe

b

Quick Reply: High-End Audio Build Complete!!! (McIntosh, Morel, Seas Lotus Inside)