Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

High-End Audio Build Complete!!! (McIntosh, Morel, Seas Lotus Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
NoahzBurnt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm down bing

I has US AMps tubes back in the day...nothing sounds as sweet as tubes!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, well, as long as you are famaliar with the cost of the tube amps, remember how much the tubedriver 2x25 rated one was? lol...these are 2x100 watters

http://www.dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_209

but you are right, they sound so nice, i heard both the iasca pro ultimate winning bmw and the Emma expert unlimited winning beatle at our booth in CES, both run all tube active front stage off of nobeliums...man...i thought my system sounded like a boombox after that

b
Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 AM
SQ Kuk

DLS A3's are the best damn amps i have ever used. So much power, great channel seperation, open sounding and top end is super smooth.

I heard both those cars, the beetle was much better than the BMW. BMW didnt sound that great IMO. I dont understand how he won ISQC. Imaging and staging was all jacked up. Unless they didnt put the real settings on.

Bastards wouldnt let me listen to it at World Finals!

Those tubes are freaking expensive, i hear they play flat up to 130k hz
Old 06-01-2007, 08:11 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Originally Posted by SQ Kuk
DLS A3's are the best damn amps i have ever used.
I'm glad to hear this.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:45 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

DLS A3's are the best damn amps i have ever used. So much power, great channel seperation, open sounding and top end is super smooth.

I heard both those cars, the beetle was much better than the BMW. BMW didnt sound that great IMO. I dont understand how he won ISQC. Imaging and staging was all jacked up. Unless they didnt put the real settings on.

Bastards wouldnt let me listen to it at World Finals!

Those tubes are freaking expensive, i hear they play flat up to 130k hz

i agree, i liked the vw as well, its a european style of SQ tha ti enjoy, all about precise placement, perfect detail. though you have to admits a beetle is some what of a "cheater" car interms of SQ, being you can sit so far back (even without hte seat rails he had), and a huge dash...

Who demoed the bimmer to you? was it the owner who is Thai, or Peter, our tech? depending on who did it you may get a different impression. When the owner demoed it, he played at low volume and had tracks that did show case the imaging and placement pretty well, while not on par with the vw, its still good, and when petere did it, he showed off the dynamic headroom of the system, whcih was among hte best i have ever herad. american judges it seems, enjoy dynamics more so than the subtle last ounce of placement and detail...and thats why it won, the car was built from the beginning to compete in iasca

b

p.s. i se you are from socal, speak of the A3s, and having been at finals, you wouldnt happen to be Keith, who own rookie class with our stuff would you? I spoke to Pinny at the show and we were all like, wow, no one expected that, but with such a wel known shop behind the install, we werent suprised just curious, if you are indeed him, love to meet up wtih you sometime and take a listen to your car

Last edited by 16psibrick; 06-01-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:06 AM
SQ Kuk

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
i agree, i liked the vw as well, its a european style of SQ tha ti enjoy, all about precise placement, perfect detail. though you have to admits a beetle is some what of a "cheater" car interms of SQ, being you can sit so far back (even without hte seat rails he had), and a huge dash...

Who demoed the bimmer to you? was it the owner who is Thai, or Peter, our tech? depending on who did it you may get a different impression. When the owner demoed it, he played at low volume and had tracks that did show case the imaging and placement pretty well, while not on par with the vw, its still good, and when petere did it, he showed off the dynamic headroom of the system, whcih was among hte best i have ever herad. american judges it seems, enjoy dynamics more so than the subtle last ounce of placement and detail...and thats why it won, the car was built from the beginning to compete in iasca

b

p.s. i se you are from socal, speak of the A3s, and having been at finals, you wouldnt happen to be Keith, who own rookie class with our stuff would you? I spoke to Pinny at the show and we were all like, wow, no one expected that, but with such a wel known shop behind the install, we werent suprised just curious, if you are indeed him, love to meet up wtih you sometime and take a listen to your car
Pinny demo'd the beetle and the Swedish guy that smelled like B.O. demo'd the BMW. the BMW also won multiple Asian competitions as well, so i know its a top performer. I was controlling the 2 vehicles to my liking. Personally, Peter Petracca's MB sounded much better, Imaging, staging, tonality and dynamics. Finals sucked *** last year. Only 1 or 2 great cars, even had 1 guy sandbagging the Pro class, not many vetarans competing at all. IASCA's going downhill.

Did you get to stop by the DLS suite where they were demoing the DLS home audio gear? I took a quick listen and i must say, the top of the line speakers are not bad at all.

I am not Keith, but you know what, i met him locally at some meets and we know each other. I ended up driving with him so he can make it to Finals, I know it meant alot to him and since i was going anyway, i decided to drive with him. He wanted to leave Socal on wednesday and make it to Hotlanta by friday, thats about 2100 miles. HES CRAZY!

Well known shop behind the install?? HAHHAHAAAHHAHAHA dont get me wrong and im definitely not talking crap. installer is really good and the owner is an awesome guy, love him to death, but its not what i call a famous shop.
What did Pinny say about the shop and do you know the shops name, just to be sure were talking about the same one.

Considering the money he spent to build that system, he better win. He is not running the A3, i think he has a A4 and A6.

I dont know a lot of people running A3's, theyre expensive. In order to run a 2 way active system, you need 2 of them. Thats almost 2g's retail.

Last edited by SQ Kuk; 06-01-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:25 AM
pushing4wardbac

Thats some amazing gear.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:36 AM
SQ Kuk

Originally Posted by kwame@z1
Old sub choice was too big to suit my application, new sub came in the mail today. Seas Lotus SW300 *NEW VERSION:"

Car is still at the shop going through the install.
did you buy that from Eng?

Nice subs by the way, at 2005 world finals, i hit 142dbs with 2 of them and 1200 watts. Awesome SQ and pounds for an SQ sub.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice subs by the way, at 2005 world finals, i hit 142dbs with 2 of them and 1200 watts. Awesome SQ and pounds for an SQ sub.
No Eng did not have them yet when I purchased them. I got it from a guy on Ebay off all places.

I am only running 300 watts to each of them. I heard them untuned last weekend and I was more then impressed. Eng says these have more low-end than the pre-2007 version, so I could only imagine how these would sound with 1200 watts.

What amps were you using to produce that much power?

Last edited by Kwame; 06-01-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:06 PM
SQ Kuk

Rockford Power T5002. Nothing special to my system 1.1 cu ft for each chamber. Factory Honda battery.
I was running the original SW300, not the newer ones. I think ill have to upgrade.

Originally Posted by kwame@z1
No Eng did not have them yet when I purchased them. I got it for a guy on Ebay off all places.

I am only running 300 watts to each of them. I heard them untuned last weekend and I was more then impressed. Eng says these have more low-end than the pre-2007 version, so I could only imagine how these would sound with 1200 watts.

What amps were you using to produce that much power?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Kwame

Rockford Power T5002. Nothing special to my system 1.1 cu ft for each chamber. Factory Honda battery.
I was running the original SW300, not the newer ones. I think ill have to upgrade.
I do not know much about Rockford equipment.

I am just trying to imagine 1200 watts with these subs and I am realizing with the insanely low THD these Mcintosh amps have, 600 watts from a Mac amp is probably the equivalent in clean power as 1200 watts from some other amp manufacturers.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:04 PM
SQ Kuk

the rockford is 1200 watts is rated at 14.4 volts at 2ohms bridged with .1% thd.

anything lower than .1% thd is not even audible by the human ear. I dont see how 600 watts low thd power can affect subwoofer power. maybe if the rockford put out 10% THD but not at .1%

the RF Power series amp offer serious power for subs, efficiency of the amp is somewhere around 40% so it draws a lot of current, but damn do they have power.

I used a Brax for the front stage and let me tell you, that amp didnt even put out its rated power. Tested on an audio precision bench, 3 channels were at around 97-99, i channel was around 90. its rated at 110x4. Sounded clean and offered great top end extension, but power wasnt there.

Last edited by SQ Kuk; 06-01-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:15 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

hey bud...

maybe i remembered wrong, but i thought audioshoppe was the shop behind keith's install? maybe i heard wrong, but i do know that shop pretty well from word of mouth to do some good work...

i was so busy talking to dealeres who came by the car audio booth that i never had a chance to go to the home audio side, but i did hear similar comments about hte new drivers and the amp and reciver they got. did i see you over there? i was the big asian dude haha the only one in the DLS booth

yeah that was peter who demoed the BMW to you then, played pink floyed overall pretty loud stuff?

iasca been going down hill for years now lol...the car i wantd to hear if i could have made to finals was eddie dejesus's truck, not sure thats who you meant by sandbagging...he had the truck completely rebiult before finals...and cuased a bit of a stirr, though honestly non of it was eddie's fault or intention...chalk up another mess up to iasca IMO...

the car that diesappointed me this year at ces was the focal car, for how much interior work was done, i thought it'd sound better, maybe it was becuase the guy demoing to me had no clue whats going on...but didnt sound very good at all...

Last edited by 16psibrick; 06-01-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:09 PM
CaliBoy

damn man next time we have a party bring ur car so the DJ can hook up his **** to ur system
Old 06-03-2007, 06:10 AM
shadrool

the rockford is 1200 watts is rated at 14.4 volts at 2ohms bridged with .1% thd.

anything lower than .1% thd is not even audible by the human ear. I dont see how 600 watts low thd power can affect subwoofer power. maybe if the rockford put out 10% THD but not at .1%
FYI mcintosh amps are rated @ 12.4v 4ohm stereo @ .005thd and 12.4v 4ohm bridge @ .007thd.
with mac amps being close to 90% efficienct. 300watts is adequate to push a sq sub. the best thing about kwames sub install are that the subs are firing to a focal point on the rear hatch creating a compression, rolling off the window to the focal point. the front stage. good job on this kwame. or should i say the installer? haha

Last edited by shadrool; 06-03-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by shadrool
FYI mcintosh amps are rated @ 12.4v 4ohm stereo @ .005thd and 12.4v 4ohm bridge @ .007thd.
with mac amps being close to 90% efficienct. 300watts is adequate to push a sq sub. the best thing about kwames sub install are that the subs are firing to a focal point on the rear hatch creating a compression, rolling off the window to the focal point. the front stage. good job on this kwame. or should i say the installer? haha
We should say good job on the installer. Hmm why do I feel like I know who this is .
Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
SQ Kuk

Originally Posted by shadrool
Youre smoking crack if you think a class a/b amp can run at 90% efficiency. Max efficiency is at about 70% at full output, at lower output, its less efficient. How the hell is it 90% efficiency, class D/T? Youre smoking crack if you think Class D can compare in sound with Class A/B.

THD ratings have almost no effect on sound as long as it is .1% or lower. When amps reach a certain limit, THD rises exponentially. Key point is, THD rises exponentially, and will usually hit a wall where you get no more output and instead, just extra distortion.

I have tested my MC420M with the power gard off. It did about 80 watts a channel before it just starts to clip. Now thats with 1 channel driving a resistive load. It is rated at 50x4, with all channels driven, that 80 watt figure will be lower.

I never said 300 watts would not push a sub, it was a response to inform him that decent output can be reached with these subs, as long as you have enough power. IASCA had different watt classes and a SPL portion to the SQ competition. Goal is 135db, i was in the 1-600 watt class, i was running a Brax X2400.4 rated at 110x4. With 440 watts already, i had only 160 watts left for a sub, guess what, how do you reach 135db with SQ subs and only 160watts? Cheater amp, the Rockford T5002 is rated at 75x2. My total wattage accord to IASCA's calculation is 590, so i just made it below the 600 mark. I benched that amp to be 1200 watts @ 2ohms just before it clipped. that is more than double its rated power, Its rated to put out 500x1@2ohms mono.

"the best thing about kwames sub install are that the subs are firing to a focal point on the rear hatch creating a compression, rolling off the window to the focal point."

Is that suppose to be a good thing for SQ? Focal point... hahaha, more like big *** reflection. I beg to differ. Would you like me to school you. Just let me know when.

FYI, Just because i have a low post count doesnt mean im a noob in the audio industry nor my experience. I have installed for several years, i have been a sales manager for 3 years, been a sales rep and have competed in IASCA and USACi. I have ran Alpine, Alpine F#1, Pioneer, Brax, Arc, Tru Technology, DLS, Linear Power, Diamond, McIntosh, Butler, JL, Focal, Soundstream, Adcom, Rockford, PPI, Seas Lotus and others.

Last edited by SQ Kuk; 06-05-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:22 AM
QdotJ

Eng's a good man... I got my 10" Seas Lotus for a steal, Kwame thanks again for informing those who may not have known about this high quality sub. (Such as myself... )

Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
SQ Kuk

Originally Posted by QdotJ
Eng's a good man... I got my 10" Seas Lotus for a steal, Kwame thanks again for informing those who may not have known about this high quality sub. (Such as myself... )

ENG is the MAN! Can you do Eng and I a favor? send him some pictures of the Lotus gear so he can add it to his gallery.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Kwame

Youre smoking crack if you think a class a/b amp can run at 90% efficiency. Max efficiency is at about 70% at full output, at lower output, its less efficient. How the hell is it 90% efficiency, class D/T? Youre smoking crack if you think Class D can compare in sound with Class A/B.

THD ratings have almost no effect on sound as long as it is .1% or lower. When amps reach a certain limit, THD rises exponentially. Key point is, THD rises exponentially, and will usually hit a wall where you get no more output and instead, just extra distortion.

I have tested my MC420M with the power gard off. It did about 80 watts a channel before it just starts to clip. Now thats with 1 channel driving a resistive load. It is rated at 50x4, with all channels driven, that 80 watt figure will be lower.

I never said 300 watts would not push a sub, it was a response to inform him that decent output can be reached with these subs, as long as you have enough power. IASCA had different watt classes and a SPL portion to the SQ competition. Goal is 135db, i was in the 1-600 watt class, i was running a Brax X2400.4 rated at 110x4. With 440 watts already, i had only 160 watts left for a sub, guess what, how do you reach 135db with SQ subs and only 160watts? Cheater amp, the Rockford T5002 is rated at 75x2. My total wattage accord to IASCA's calculation is 590, so i just made it below the 600 mark. I benched that amp to be 1200 watts @ 2ohms just before it clipped. that is more than double its rated power, Its rated to put out 500x1@2ohms mono.

"the best thing about kwames sub install are that the subs are firing to a focal point on the rear hatch creating a compression, rolling off the window to the focal point."

Is that suppose to be a good thing for SQ? Focal point... hahaha, more like big *** reflection. I beg to differ. Would you like me to school you. Just let me know when.

FYI, Just because i have a low post count doesnt mean im a noob in the audio industry nor my experience. I have installed for several years, i have been a sales manager for 3 years, been a sales rep and have competed in IASCA and USACi. I have ran Alpine, Alpine F#1, Pioneer, Brax, Arc, Tru Technology, DLS, Linear Power, Diamond, McIntosh, Butler, JL, Focal, Soundstream, Adcom, Rockford, PPI, Seas Lotus and others.
I don't know who you are but you honestly have forced me to unsubscribe from this thread, regardless of the fact that I started it.

Quick Reply: High-End Audio Build Complete!!! (McIntosh, Morel, Seas Lotus Inside)