Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

JRZ Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 05:16 PM
ALong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRZ Shocks

Just received the prototype set of JRZ Shock absorbers for the 350Z. Absolute works of art. They are double adjustable with seperate adjustments for both rebound and compression. The shock bodies and lower mount "forks" are aluminum, the lower forks are CNC machined from a solid piece of aluminum. Both front and rear shock bodies are threaded so you can run a coilover in the rear if you choose to. I will get some photos as soon as I can.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: JRZ Shocks

Originally posted by ALong
Just received the prototype set of JRZ Shock absorbers for the 350Z. Absolute works of art. They are double adjustable with seperate adjustments for both rebound and compression. The shock bodies and lower mount "forks" are aluminum, the lower forks are CNC machined from a solid piece of aluminum. Both front and rear shock bodies are threaded so you can run a coilover in the rear if you choose to. I will get some photos as soon as I can.
Of course you know I'm jelious

When you talked about them in another thread you didn't mention that they will have threaded bodies, that's a huge plus.
Eibach makes a 5" OD spring in their ESS line that we can run in the back, I would fine tune the ride height by cutting and or shimming the upper spring seat. But, what spring rate range did they set the valving too? Given what I recall about the company, they are going to be $2k+ correct?

They don't have adjustable length bodies to adjust vehicle height independent of the perches and they? Monotube?
Old 01-08-2005, 09:46 AM
ALong

JRZ can build the shocks to any valving spec that you want, we are running 700/750lbs springs so they built them with that in mind.

Expect to pay roughly $2500 for single adjustables and $3500 for double adjustables (we got double adjustables), they have not set their pricing for these shocks yet but figure those numbers will be close.

All height adjustment is done by the spring perch. This adjustable lenght on the shock tube is something you only see from the Japanese manfuctures. JRZ can build the shock to any shock body lenght that you want so they can shorten or lenghten the shock bodies to your specs.

The rear shocks also have threaded bodies so you can run a coilover on the rear if you want....
Old 01-08-2005, 09:59 PM
GY-Z

damn, i really got to have a road trip down to seattle to check this goodie out.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:53 AM
daveh

'They don't have adjustable length bodies to adjust vehicle height independent of the perches and they?'

I never understood the benefit of this feature. If you adjust the length independently, you then have to alter the bump stop because you're effectively altering the stroke. JIC adusted my shocks this way and the first big dip I hit in the road caused my whole car to bottom out and scrape my underbody. People have been cornerweighting cars for years without this feature.
Am I just not understanding this feature?
Someone educate me to the benefits of this..
Old 01-09-2005, 02:17 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, I am also confused about this feature.

700 LB spring rates???????? Sorry, I want to have a BIT of comfort on the street. That's close to double OEM rates.

ALong, how much are you planning on lowering?

Doesn't ANYONE understand "Roll centers"?

Last edited by EnthuZ; 01-09-2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:46 AM
ALong

EnthuZ, the springs themselves lower the car aprox 1.5-2.0", depending upon how the corner weights end up, the front may be a little lower or higher than this...
Old 01-14-2005, 02:12 PM
zfastest

Sorry but I gotta ask too....why in gods name would you use such a stiff spring rate?
Old 01-15-2005, 05:41 AM
ALong

Its a racecar.......
Old 01-15-2005, 12:46 PM
ALong

I have pictures of the shocks now, but cant post them, can I email them to someone who can?

Thanks
Alex
Old 01-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice....def curious to here your impressions once they are on!

By having an adjustable lower bracket, you are not affecting stroke at all. It's definitly not just a Japanese coilover thing....some manufacturers offer it, others do not, though it largely depends on how much stroke is designed into the damper in the first place, as well as how much shorter the damper is vs stock in the first place.

If you want to email me the pics, I can post them

z1sales@z1auto.com
Old 01-16-2005, 06:50 PM
daveh

If you use the adjustable lower bracket then you have to change the bumpstop so the car doesn't bottom out before the shock correct? What is the advantage to not adjusting the stroke. Don't most shocks have the same dampening characteristics regardless of what position the stroke is in? Sorry to get off topic but I think others have the same questions.

The JRZ's sound awsome by the way. Can't wait to see the pics.

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
Nice....def curious to here your impressions once they are on!

By having an adjustable lower bracket, you are not affecting stroke at all. It's definitly not just a Japanese coilover thing....some manufacturers offer it, others do not, though it largely depends on how much stroke is designed into the damper in the first place, as well as how much shorter the damper is vs stock in the first place.

If you want to email me the pics, I can post them

z1sales@z1auto.com
Old 01-20-2005, 04:30 PM
GY-Z

here's the pic of Along's JRZ shock

Old 01-20-2005, 04:48 PM
ALong

First, thankyou Ian for posting the pictures.

If anyone has any questions about the shocks let me know. The rebound adjuster is at the very top of the shock shaft (Its the Gold colored ****) and the compression adjuster is at the bottom of the shock body/top of the mount fork (its the Red anodized wheel). I believe each are adjustable to 12 different positions (JRZ has not sent us the "manual" for them yet).
Old 01-29-2005, 08:42 AM
ALong

Just checked my info on the spring rates, and did not post the correct spring rates before, they are acutally 625lb Front and 700lb rear springs. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:24 PM
daveh

bump to an older thread. Have you had a chance to run these yet? Impressions?
Old 03-05-2005, 04:49 PM
ALong

Dave, they are on the car but the car is still partially dis-assembled, should have the car on the road before the end of the month but still have to finish re-installing the interior, need to have all the windows re-installed, remove the A/C, install the Nismo powersteering cooler.........etc
Old 03-06-2005, 07:37 AM
daveh

ok. I just realized that the racers group is right in my neighborhood. I left them a message last week.

Are you running the nismo springs? Is this a T2 car?

Last edited by daveh; 03-06-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:56 PM
ALong

Dave,
this is a T2 car so using the T2 Nissan Comp springs etc.. Racers Group may not know about the 350Z shocks, we worked directly with JRZ in Holland. You might want to call the shop building my car (SpeedWare Motorsports 425-869-5680) they worked directly with JRZ to develop the shocks and they can order them for you and since you are out of state you wont pay sales tax! I believe the retail cost on the shocks is aprox $880 per shock so figure roughly $3500 for a set. If you run the T2 springs then you will need custom front spring perches to fit the springs, Speedware can also provide these, figure about $300 for the pair.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ALong
Dave,
this is a T2 car so using the T2 Nissan Comp springs etc.. Racers Group may not know about the 350Z shocks, we worked directly with JRZ in Holland. You might want to call the shop building my car (SpeedWare Motorsports 425-869-5680) they worked directly with JRZ to develop the shocks and they can order them for you and since you are out of state you wont pay sales tax! I believe the retail cost on the shocks is aprox $880 per shock so figure roughly $3500 for a set. If you run the T2 springs then you will need custom front spring perches to fit the springs, Speedware can also provide these, figure about $300 for the pair.

Great info, gotta ask, what's the diameter of the front springs? Smaller then oem I take it, right?

Quick Reply: JRZ Shocks