Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Do I Need P/S Cooler & Oil Pan Spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 04:16 AM
zman2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I Need P/S Cooler & Oil Pan Spacer?

Getting ready to track my Z in hot Florida.
How important is a better power steering cooler?
What is the worst that can happen with the stock cooler?

Important to have either new oil pan or spacer?
Thanks
Old 04-08-2005, 04:49 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't need either right away. I had over a dozen track days on my Z before I boiled the power steering fluid and decided to get the cooler.

I suppose the worst that can happen with the stock cooler is that your power steering could diminish/fail, but you'll see & hear signs of that coming long before it would actually fail. For me, I decided to upgrade after hearing a very loud thumping/banging/cavitating sound from the front of the engine bay during cornering (the sound would increase in speed and volume the more I cranked the wheel, and would go away as I unwound the wheel.) Once I installed the Nismo PS cooler, the problem was solved.

Unfortunately, I don't have much input on the oil pan spacer, as I'm still running all stock for that and haven't had any problems.

Gary
Old 04-08-2005, 12:06 PM
speedform

[QUOTE=GaryM05]You shouldn't need either right away. I had over a dozen track days on my Z before I boiled the power steering fluid and decided to get the cooler.

Agreed.....your steering will tighten up a bit as you loose/boild the PS fluid. Not a big deal right away. Just go have some fun. cheers,
Old 04-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put in the higher capacity ARC oil pan (6.75 qt) and a high capacity Koyo radiator, and kept the stock thermostat. The car ran Big Willow in 106 degree air temps and while there were other cars that were either encountering heat problems or feathering back to keep running, the car just cruised around and the needle stayed in the sweet spot all the time. If you are going to be running in hot air, the combination is certainly worth considering.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:29 PM
AznIceRckt

Originally Posted by GaryM05
You shouldn't need either right away. I had over a dozen track days on my Z before I boiled the power steering fluid and decided to get the cooler.

I suppose the worst that can happen with the stock cooler is that your power steering could diminish/fail, but you'll see & hear signs of that coming long before it would actually fail. For me, I decided to upgrade after hearing a very loud thumping/banging/cavitating sound from the front of the engine bay during cornering (the sound would increase in speed and volume the more I cranked the wheel, and would go away as I unwound the wheel.) Once I installed the Nismo PS cooler, the problem was solved.

Unfortunately, I don't have much input on the oil pan spacer, as I'm still running all stock for that and haven't had any problems.

Gary
excellent info, you just saved me some money for a while.

phil