Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Track Day Check List

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 01:45 PM
shaun_walsh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Day Check List

Hey,

I am looking at getting a bunch (7-10) of folks to a track day in May/June. I have only been once and loved it. I don't think any of the others have been before. So I wanted to put togehter a qucik list do(s) and don't(s) for them and myself. Here is what I have so far and would like to get feedback on:

Before we go:

Check tires for tread, get new ones if needed
Get new brake pads, don't guess, just do it
Clean out car of misc. stuff that can fly around
Get a good detail/wash (we are showing off our toys)
Check Tire pressure (What should I tell them? over or under?)

Bring with you:

Folding Chair
Plenty of water
Duffel Bag to hold stuff while you drive

While you are there:

Rent a hemet and timer (If we need them that day)
Listen to the instrructors they know more than you think, and you will be amazed at what they can do with your own car.

That is the list so far, let me know what you would add?

Thanks,

Shaun
Old 04-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to the Speedventures site www.speedventures.net
they have a prep check list for the car and I think one for you and your team and friends which is pretty handy to just click and print.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:14 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaun_walsh
No tread can be a good thing depending on your tyre selection.

Oh, you need to add beer to your list. After a long day at the track, there's nothing better than a ice cold beer to wrap things up.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:52 PM
speedform

Hey,

I am looking at getting a bunch (7-10) of folks to a track day in May/June. I have only been once and loved it. I don't think any of the others have been before. So I wanted to put togehter a qucik list do(s) and don't(s) for them and myself. Here is what I have so far and would like to get feedback on:

Before we go:

Get new brake pads, don't guess, just do it
Clean out car of misc. stuff that can fly around
Get a good detail/wash (we are showing off our toys)
Check Tire pressure (What should I tell them? over or under?)

Bring with you:

Folding Chair
Plenty of water
Duffel Bag to hold stuff while you drive

While you are there:

Rent a hemet and timer (If we need them that day)
Listen to the instrructors they know more than you think, and you will be amazed at what they can do with your own car.

That is the list so far, let me know what you would add?

Thanks,

Shaun

Where is Wildomar? Norcal?

Start tire pressures at OEM recommended psi. For those that haven't been to a track event before I doubt they'll need to adjust anything. Have them learn the course and the car first. Adjustments will come with more experience.
As far as instuctors go, listen to everything they say. Short of knowing where the gas, clutch and brake pedal are there is precious little that can be used to compare street driving with on track experience. Your basically learning to drive all over again.
Have fun and keep the shiny-side up!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:25 PM
shaun_walsh

Thanks, for the input. Wildomar is out by Temecula.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:23 PM
speedform

Thanks, for the input. Wildomar is out by Temecula.
Ok. Closer than I thought. Are you guys planning to hit a track day next month. If so, I'll be instructing with Speedtrialusa, May 21-22nd. at Streets of Willow. It's a nice, safe course to learn on. cheers,
Old 04-13-2005, 08:27 PM
stumpmj

I'd also add a torque wrench, brake fluid, window cleaner, paper towels, sunscreen, a basic tool kit (for you and to help out other people) and spare brake pads for the rear if you have a non-track model. I also bring a floor jack, tire gage, painter's tape (for making numbers), and food (track food=$$$).
Old 04-14-2005, 02:14 PM
zman2

Default Cut off your dust shields

Heat destroys your pads.
Cut off your dust shields.
Try Axxis Ultimate pads.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:10 PM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by John
No tread can be a good thing depending on your tyre selection.

Oh, you need to add beer to your list. After a long day at the track, there's nothing better than a ice cold beer to wrap things up.

I'm starting to run out of tread on both of my outer edges (Toyo T1S). The inner and outer edges are worn about the same amount. But the inside tread's got plenty of life in them (at least double the amount). I also run 40psi, so it's not due to low pressure. But, when I bought these tires, I noticed that the treads are so much deeper in the center section than the outer edges, so I already speculated that the edges would be completely bald by the time I even get halfway through the center portion of the tread.

Now, do you know if the T1S are one of those tires that's supposed to be last a while on bald edges? We're not going to get rain here for a while, so I'm not to concerned about hydroplaning, but it just sucks because the centers look like they have at least 10k more miles of life.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:16 PM
shaun_walsh

Thanks for help folks, I am going to paln this event for the Willow Springs day on May 21.

shaun
Old 04-15-2005, 08:31 AM
stumpmj

Originally Posted by mc350z
stumpmj

i noticed you said extra rear pads. ive noticed this too. i had my rear pads wear out on me twice at track events. why is it that the rears pads wear so easily when the fronts do most of the braking????

They wear quickly for a couple of reasons: 1) The pads are TINY. 2) Because the heat capacity of the rear braking system is so limited, I believe it sees higher temperatures than the front brakes which causes greater pad wear. 3) If you're using a BBK, a fair amount of braking force is redistributed to the rear brakes for better overall braking performance. Cutting off the dust sheilds definently reduces rear brake pad wear. If you look at what the dust shield covers, there's no way for aire to reach the rotor vents!
Old 04-16-2005, 07:26 AM
John

Originally Posted by dnguyent
Now, do you know if the T1S are one of those tires that's supposed to be last a while on bald edges? We're not going to get rain here for a while, so I'm not to concerned about hydroplaning, but it just sucks because the centers look like they have at least 10k more miles of life.
I have never used my T1S' on track since they are on my Nismo street wheels. However, I will suggest that you take your wheels to a tire shop and have them swap the tires left to right (and vice versa), that way your outside edges will be on the inside on the opposite side of the car (and you'll maintain your directional pattern too). I do this with my R-compounds since I wear the outside part of the front left (since most tracks run clockwise) and the inside part of the right rear (viscous diff = spinning inside drive wheel = quasi "one-tire fire" ).
Old 04-17-2005, 06:20 PM
speedform

Thanks for help folks, I am going to paln this event for the Willow Springs day on May 21.

shaun
Watch out for turn 9. If you go in too hot it will bite ya! Turn 3 can catch people off guard as well. Respect those two areas and Willow is cake. I'll be instructing at Streets of Willow the same weekend. Maybe I'll stop by and meet you guys. Have fun!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:17 PM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by John
I have never used my T1S' on track since they are on my Nismo street wheels. However, I will suggest that you take your wheels to a tire shop and have them swap the tires left to right (and vice versa), that way your outside edges will be on the inside on the opposite side of the car (and you'll maintain your directional pattern too). I do this with my R-compounds since I wear the outside part of the front left (since most tracks run clockwise) and the inside part of the right rear (viscous diff = spinning inside drive wheel = quasi "one-tire fire" ).
Unfortunately, both my inside and outside treads are equally worn. The inside edges are worn due to negative camber and toe-in, while the outsides edges get worn due to cornering on track days. Seems to like I got no way out of this one.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Originally Posted by dnguyent
Unfortunately, both my inside and outside treads are equally worn. The inside edges are worn due to negative camber and toe-in, while the outsides edges get worn due to cornering on track days. Seems to like I got no way out of this one.
Yes, there's a solution.......MORE TRACK DAYS!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:45 PM
THX723

Shaun,
I see you're also in California. Where are you located? A bunch of us are scheduled to attack Buttonwillow this May 6th (appox. 3 weeks time).

Check out this THREAD

Cheers,