Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Hot Lap timing system

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 05:24 AM
mberthia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Lap timing system

Has anyone installed a Hot Lap system in their car without having a roll cage or harness bar ? There seems to be enough dissagrement on whether a roll cage or harness bar is better for a street driven car with occasional track days that I have not purchased either of them.

Any good way of installing the received solidly in place ?

Thanks
Martin
Old 07-23-2005, 08:26 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mberthia
Has anyone installed a Hot Lap system in their car without having a roll cage or harness bar ? There seems to be enough dissagrement on whether a roll cage or harness bar is better for a street driven car with occasional track days that I have not purchased either of them.

Thanks
Martin
One of the guys that tracks with us, used to use zip ties and straps it to the headrest of the passenger seat. Then he leaned the seat back to point the ir beam out the back window. I'm not sure if it would work on the driver's side though.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:47 AM
daveh

I've saw a corvette driver with a great idea. He made a metal bracket shaped like a stair step then closed his trunk on it. It sat on the outside of the car and was easily tranferred to any car of his choice.
Let me know if this makes sense.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:59 PM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by daveh
I've saw a corvette driver with a great idea. He made a metal bracket shaped like a stair step then closed his trunk on it. It sat on the outside of the car and was easily tranferred to any car of his choice.
Let me know if this makes sense.
It didn't make sense at all. What I'm envisioning in my head right now would make anyone laugh their heads off.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:01 PM
rednezz

Thanks
Martin

I zipped tied my sensor to the passenger side visor and tilted the visor down to a 45 degree angle. I then mounted the display where the NAV goes with velcro. It works great at the track and I am able to take it down when I go home.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:05 PM
daveh

Piece of metal that looks like this. Mount the transmitter on top of it and close your trunk on the bottom bend.

edit: had to insert the periods because the spaces were deleted. Pretend the periods are not there and you are left with a piece of metal that is bent like stairs.

......._____
......|
......|
___|

Last edited by daveh; 08-01-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:59 PM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by daveh
Piece of metal that looks like this. Mount the transmitter on top of it and close your trunk on the bottom bend.

edit: had to insert the periods because the spaces were deleted. Pretend the periods are not there and you are left with a piece of metal that is bent like stairs.

......._____
......|
......|
___|

I think I get it now...the lower left lip of the bracket is secured by shutting the hatch, thereby clamping it in place. The transmitter is actually mounted outside the car then... That is certainly unconventional!
Old 08-02-2005, 05:10 AM
mberthia

Originally Posted by rednezz
I zipped tied my sensor to the passenger side visor and tilted the visor down to a 45 degree angle. I then mounted the display where the NAV goes with velcro. It works great at the track and I am able to take it down when I go home.
Where do you point the sensor ? towards the passenger side or towards the driver side window ? The transmitter signal is ususally placed on the driver side of the track.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 05:31 AM
rednezz

Where do you point the sensor ? towards the passenger side or towards the driver side window ? The transmitter signal is ususally placed on the driver side of the track.

Thanks

The events I attend usually put the transmitter on the passenger side so I point the sensor out the passenger window. I don't know if it would work pointing out the drivers window but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as there isn't any obstruction.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:33 PM
mberthia

Originally Posted by rednezz
The events I attend usually put the transmitter on the passenger side so I point the sensor out the passenger window. I don't know if it would work pointing out the drivers window but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as there isn't any obstruction.
That's the best option so far. I'll have to buy one next month and try it out. I'll ask the PCA guys to make sure that they will let it pass inspection. I assume inspection has never been a problem for you ?

Hanging out from the hatch is also good but I would need to be careful with a braket that would not move and scratch the paint. That will be plan B for now.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 05:25 AM
rednezz

That's the best option so far. I'll have to buy one next month and try it out. I'll ask the PCA guys to make sure that they will let it pass inspection. I assume inspection has never been a problem for you ?

Hanging out from the hatch is also good but I would need to be careful with a braket that would not move and scratch the paint. That will be plan B for now.

Thanks

No I haven't had problems with the PCA inspections. Actually it was the instructors that told me to try mounting it like that. Just make sure you zip tie it down good. Also, what I did to test my sensor position is I hooked it up and put the display in setup or test mode (It displays a 0 when it receives an IR signal). I then got a TV remote control and I had my girlfriend aim the remote from approximately the same location and angle from where the transmitor would be. While I was in the car looking at the display I had her push the channel changer on the remote to see if the sensor was detecting a signal. You can try that to see if your sensor location will work for you.

Last edited by rednezz; 08-03-2005 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:21 PM
sfarrah

Either way i'd suggest going with a cage or roll bar rather than a harness bar. If you roll over with a harness bar, you're basically screwed. If the roof collapses in on you you're toast as you're held upright in your seat. If you have a cage, it won't collapse. If you don't have a cage, and you don't have a harness, at least you can lean sideways or forward to prevent you from getting crushed. Just my $.02.