Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

RELENTLESS AUTOSPORTS / SinCity 350Z Cage (preview)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:09 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, everyone seems to be so concerned about this cage not "fitting within" the rules of SCCA, NASA, FIA, etc.
Although I do appreciate the concern, keep in mind this car IS being built to be strictly a "Time Attack car" and that has been our goal with it all along. My cage builder/fabricator has, and is building it to the specs that I have given him. He also builds off and on road cars and trucks that are currently competing and winning classes ranging from anything from Pro Stock, Top alcohol, and Top fuel NHRA drag cars, to SCORE and CORE buggies and trucks, all the the way to NASCAR NEXTEL CUP & Busch Series cars, and NASCAR Craftsman trucks. He currently has a vintage Indy car and 2 Spec Miatas in his shop this week. He and I are well aware of most sanctioning bodies rules and regulations, but like I said this car does not, nor was ever supposed to conform to these rule books. This cage is very safe and is made well. If here in the near future we do decide to use the car for anything other than the Time Attack series that the car was built for (Redline Time Attack) we will then address what needs to be addressed then.

This car is already showing a great amount of improvement in rigidity and I am anticipating some good test results.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:34 PM
ULLLOSE

I don't think anyone is trying to give him a hard time and say it is unsafe, it is very nice work, and you guys made it clear what it was built for. The thing to keep in mind is just because the "Time Attack" uses one set of rules or one sanctioning body this year that does not mean it will always be that way. Also the drivers interest may change in the future and he may want to expand into another series, just if/when that was to happen be prepared to make some changes. I don't actually think you could build one cage right now that you could run in every series, they all think they know what is best and none of them agree on it.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

thats too sick wow awesome bro
Old 04-12-2007, 04:43 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ULLLOSE has a pretty good summation of it. At some point you just have to make a choice and go with it. I don't think Redline Time Attack, which is just a small group of guys that do HPDE events (nothing wrong with that) is comparable to large formally organized event sanctioning bodies that have gone to the extent of drafting, adopting and implementing comprehensive rules. Go to the NASA website and download the CCR if you want a couple of hours of quality "quiet time"! I did a six point custom roll bar, but not full cage, in my Infiniti, because I wanted something additional for protection for what I intended to use my car for....HPDE events and learning but not for competition, and I wanted to maintain streetability and comfort (the car still has the a/c, leather back seats and stereo system!). IT is not going to meet the specs for the cages either in SCCA and NASA. The real key is just to be thinking ahead to what classes is the car likely to fall into for the events that you are thinking about running, and then to evaluate whether the competitions you would like to run require a cage as they define it. They have plenty of things you can do that do not require a cage, including many Solo type events (I think). But if you are going to go out there and race, way different story.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:56 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a call from Scott. They scaled the car to see what it weighed and we dropped over 100 lbs! Last time we scaled it was at 3280 with 1/8 tank of gas and no driver. Today after we ripped out the interior sheetmetal and replaced it with the full cage, the car weighed in at 3,167 with about 1/3 tank of gas and no driver.

I was expecting to gain a few pounds or come out even, but this was more than a pleasant suprise!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 PM
bverschage

looks good, can't wait to see it done
Old 04-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SinCity350Z
Just got a call from Scott. They scaled the car to see what it weighed and we dropped over 100 lbs! Last time we scaled it was at 3280 with 1/8 tank of gas and no driver. Today after we ripped out the interior sheetmetal and replaced it with the full cage, the car weighed in at 3,167 with about 1/3 tank of gas and no driver.

I was expecting to gain a few pounds or come out even, but this was more than a pleasant suprise!
WOW! The advantages of going with chromoly and avoiding the crazy expectations NASA/SCCA has. Good Job
Old 04-12-2007, 03:21 PM
skidmarq

That will be a blast to drive, I demand a full report after the next time attack!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:57 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skidmarq
That will be a blast to drive, I demand a full report after the next time attack!!!
And you will sureley get one!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
WOW! The advantages of going with chromoly and avoiding the crazy expectations NASA/SCCA has. Good Job
Thanks, and no kidding about those crazy NASA, SCCA, and FIA cage rules. ............. Even the 3400 lb. NASCAR cars I drive that AVARAGE over 180+ MPH. are only required to have 1 3/4" .090 wall chromolly cages, and they are said to be some of the safest form of race cars. I can't believe the rediculous OVERKILL on some of these sanctioning bodies roll cage rules.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:51 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by skidmarq
If not before. I will do my best do give a full report after I test the car at Streets of Willow next Friday and Big Willow Springs on Saturday. Should be pretty bussy, have a lot of things to try.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks very promising Mike. Really looking forward to your driver perspective after giving her a few turns around the track at the limit.
Then tell us about how the car runs.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Z33_SPL

I think the design of this cage is poor. Like somebody said earlier, the key to a good cage is triangulation. And this cage has none. What is the point of all those bars connected to the harness bar? You need at least a diagonal bar from the drives side top to the passengers side bottom of the main hoop, in the event the car rolls over and skids on its roof. Also, I would've ran the rear bars to somewhere lower (looks like there's not enough angle). I would also hope that he will be putting gussets in the A and B pillars as he did between strut towers. You might also want to stitch weld the chassis while the car's apart, that should make a big difference. At least this cage is better than the yellow VRT car's cage (that cage is a joke).
Old 04-14-2007, 11:08 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Z33_SPL
I think the design of this cage is poor. Like somebody said earlier, the key to a good cage is triangulation. And this cage has none. What is the point of all those bars connected to the harness bar? You need at least a diagonal bar from the drives side top to the passengers side bottom of the main hoop, in the event the car rolls over and skids on its roof. Also, I would've ran the rear bars to somewhere lower (looks like there's not enough angle). I would also hope that he will be putting gussets in the A and B pillars as he did between strut towers. You might also want to stitch weld the chassis while the car's apart, that should make a big difference. At least this cage is better than the yellow VRT car's cage (that cage is a joke).
Thanks for your concern. The cage was not complete in those pics. The cage is very well engineered (by a mechanical engineer) and has plenty of structural support for chassis rigidity and safety, and is well triangulated. The A pillers are now gussetted and it is now complete with a ton of stitch welded chasssis seems. I have seen, used and have experience with alot of roll cages in my life and have access to some of the best race car fabricators in the country, so trust me, this cage was build just perfect for what it is designed to do and with the intentions we have for it.
Thanks for looking out though

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 04-14-2007 at 11:26 AM.