Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Nissan Performance Festival with Relentless Autosports

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nissan Performance Festival with Relentless Autosports

This past weekend, California Speedway was host to the Nissan Performance Festival and Toys 4 Tots event put on by Nissan Sport Magazine, Speed Ventures, and Team Transport. The event was a blast and a success on all accounts with high attendance in everything from the car show, to the track day, and autocross competition! Relentless Autosports was there of course, how could we not be with a Nissan specialized time attack only a few hours away! We showed up with three 350Zs;The Double Down Time Attack 350Z, Scott's (WA2GOOD) blue 350Z, and Skyler's (fallenromeo) white 350Z.

The course was a little different than the one you usually hear about when events are run at California Speedway. This was not just the infield course, this was the same configuration JGTC ran when they were here, the same course that the Grand-Am Cup series runs, and the same course that incorporates the entire front straight along with 14 degree banked turns 1 & 2 from the NASCAR oval! This, as you can imagine, produces some VERY high speeds and a big "whose got the biggest set" factor going into NASCAR turn 1. In the time attack car, we were seeing speeds in excess of 170mph at the end of the front straight and in the N/A blue car it was pedal to the floor in 5th gear the whole way not even lifting through 1 and 2 entering at about 145mph.

The time attack 350Z had been virtually un-touched since the Redline Time Attack finals in Laguna Seca a few weeks prior. We hadn't even taken off the exhaust turn-outs we had to run at Laguna to get past the sound limits . We unloaded the car Saturday morning and upon a quick visual inspection noticed some cracks in the front rotors, one of which we already knew was warped as well. We quickly made the decision to save the car for Sunday which was the bigger day for the event and just parked it all day Saturday. Sunday came and we went out in our first session. Scott was driving on his warm up lap in the first session of the day and must have run over some debris causing a left front blow out sending him back to the pits. Luckily we had some old spare eBay (literally) tires that were not really the right size or compound, but they were fairly close to what we had in the rear, so we put them on both fronts. Then again on the first lap of the warm up session of the second time out, a turbo pipe blew off and was run over by our own front tire. Luckily the tire came out ok this time, but the turbo pipe was history. I thought to myself, this is going to be one of those days. A HUGE favor from Viet (rookie) and a borrowed turbo pipe from his insane widebody FX and we were back on the track. Third session out and the car was fine! The tire setup was less than exceptional but Scott still managed to get out there and make a few clean timed laps that looked really fast from the stands. Last session of the day and it was finally my turn to drive the time attack car. I haven't driven this car on anything but street tires since 2006 so I was taking a bit to get used to Hoosiers, when on my second lap the coupler that gave loose the first time had ripped. It must have gotten a weak spot or a small tear from the first time. Well it was the end of the day and the car show portion was over, so after getting a tow back to the pits, we gave Viet his turbo pipe back and loaded the car up on the trailer to await the results.

Scott's blue 350Z was also out there and both he and I were having an absolute blast driving an N/A 350Z again. This was the car's first time out on the track and it did surprisingly well. The only mods to the car are Megan coilovers, Megan BBK, Cusco Sways, cat-back exhaust, and a pop-charger. We ran on Toyo R888 100 treadwear R-Compounds as well and that car was screaming! We got a lot of seat time in that car, especially myself, and we took a lot of passengers with us in that car as well so that was fun. I know I might take some flak for this, but I think the Megan BBK is probably the best brake kit I have ever driven on the Z, and the coilovers were pretty good as well.

Skyler's white 350Z was also a lot of fun. Skyler's car is equipped with Stance coilovers, an intake, and exhaust as well. We started off running that car on street tires, and then moved to some RA1s to go have some fun for the last session on Saturday. Scott was behind the wheel of Skyler's car, I was piloting Scott's blue car, and both of us had passengers. Both of us, as well as a Turbo Porshe, ran right with eachother the whole session and it was interesting to see the differences between the two Zs. Skyler's Revup had the edge on power and a higher rev limiter, but the Megan BBK vs. stock brakes were no competition.

We only entered the time attack car and Scott's Z into the competition and made a clean sweep taking home 1st place in Unlimited with the time attack car, 1st place in Modified with the blue car, and 1st and 2nd place overall in both cars! The fastest time for the time attack car was a 1:48.476 driven by Scott Bush and was the fastest overall time. The fastest time for Scott's blue car was a 1:56.125 driven by Mike Bonanni and was the 2nd fastest overall time.

CLIFF'S NOTES
- Nissan Performance Festival Time Attack at California Speedway
- 170+mph in the time attack car
- 1:48.476 lap time in time attack car
- 1:56.125 lap time in N/A 350Z with Megan coilovers & brakes.
- 1st Place Unlimited in time attack car + Overall fastest time.
- 1st Place Modified in N/A 350Z + 2nd Overall fastest time.

Hopefully more pictures and some video will surface from the event. We had a guy with us taking some pics and I will post those when I have them but if you find some pics/video around the internet of either Z please post them here!

Last edited by SinCity350Z; 12-05-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM
roger22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cal Speedway

Saw you guys out there. Next time I will find some time to chat with you guys. I had the 03 Black Track Model with hard to miss Stillen on it.

How do you guys like the Toyo 888's versus say NT01 or RA1's??

I need to move into R-Compound for next season.

Congrats on the first place again.

Paul
Old 12-05-2007, 03:06 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Hey Paul! Yeah we saw/heard you out there . The R888s are awesome and come in perfect sizes for us (295/30/18 Front, 315/30/18 Rear). The RA1s and NT01s are pretty close performance wise as well, but didn't come in sizes we really liked. I believe the RA1s and R888s are the same compound, but the R888s have a little different sidewall technology and tread blocking (obviously). There is a definite difference between the RA1s and the R888s and it feels like an improved upon RA1, which is exactly what it was made to be. The NT01 is pretty comparable too, but not as good as either Toyo in my opinion and they were really loud. Tread life wise, they are all rated at 100 treadwear so they will all be pretty even in that respect. So basically while they are all relatively close performance wise, I say R888, then RA1, then NT01.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:15 PM
roger22

Thanks, now that the season is over I need to "improve" the car a little.

Better tires and suspension to start. So many choices so I need to do my
homework.

I was happy with the brakes so far except Laguna where they faded a little.

How much camber should you run with the 888's..

I still drive the car to the track so I can't go crazy, I know on R-compounds you don't need as much as say a slick.

I have -1.5 up front now and the edges are pretty worn indicating I need moe neg camber.

Thanks

Paul
Old 12-05-2007, 03:23 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Well, unfortunately you will never find a setup thats ideal for both track and street so it depends on what you want more. You are either going to wear out your street tires too quickly or your track tires too quickly. -1.5 is for sure on the street side of the spectrum. I would suggest maybe starting with -2.5 up front and -2 in the rear and then adjusting from there. Do you have a pyrometer, or access to one?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by roger22
Thanks, now that the season is over I need to "improve" the car a little.

Better tires and suspension to start. So many choices so I need to do my
homework.

I was happy with the brakes so far except Laguna where they faded a little.

How much camber should you run with the 888's..

I still drive the car to the track so I can't go crazy, I know on R-compounds you don't need as much as say a slick.

I have -1.5 up front now and the edges are pretty worn indicating I need moe neg camber.

Thanks

Paul
Nice car Paul, hearing it kinda made me miss my stillen SC. We have ALOT of track experience with the Stillen SC, Give me a call sometime and we can go over a few things that might point you in the right direction and help you out with a great streetable / trackable set up and I will show you how it all works.

Just call or PM me......
Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Wish i could have been there , work sucks at times. Maybe next year.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:34 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Congrats Mike, Scott & Relentless team! The car must be insane to drive on full power!
Old 12-06-2007, 04:58 AM
roger22

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
Nice car Paul, hearing it kinda made me miss my stillen SC. We have ALOT of track experience with the Stillen SC, Give me a call sometime and we can go over a few things that might point you in the right direction and help you out with a great streetable / trackable set up and I will show you how it all works.

Just call or PM me......
Wil do, need to figure out where to spend the money wisely!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Thanks Kuah!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by kuah@splparts.com
Congrats Mike, Scott & Relentless team! The car must be insane to drive on full power!
Yes, thanks Kuah. All of your parts on the cars are working flawlessly. Anything new comming out for the Z33 platform from you guys in the near future?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
Yes, thanks Kuah. All of your parts on the cars are working flawlessly. Anything new comming out for the Z33 platform from you guys in the near future?
Bumpsteer adjustable front outer tie rod ends should be ready soon I am resuming R&D on the rear upper arms, hopefully I can get that product out in the first quarter next year...
Old 12-08-2007, 10:09 PM
fallenromeo

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Bumpsteer adjustable front outer tie rod ends should be ready soon I am resuming R&D on the rear upper arms, hopefully I can get that product out in the first quarter next year...
If you need help calculating the R&D tax credit let me know! Im an expert at that stuff!

Congrats to Mike and Scott on the great driving. I wish I could have been there to see it, but I had to go get too drunk with my co-workers at our Christmas party and embarrass myself.

I wish my car could have pulled its weight, but those stock brakes just can't compare with those Megans. If I can come up with some money hopefully I will see a set of those in my future.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Sweet! Both products should be exciting!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:43 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by fallenromeo
If you need help calculating the R&D tax credit let me know! Im an expert at that stuff!

Congrats to Mike and Scott on the great driving. I wish I could have been there to see it, but I had to go get too drunk with my co-workers at our Christmas party and embarrass myself.

I wish my car could have pulled its weight, but those stock brakes just can't compare with those Megans. If I can come up with some money hopefully I will see a set of those in my future.
Thanks man, your car was fun! Brakes are definitely the weak link on the Zs stock. Thanks again for letting us bring it out!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:26 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Full gallery up now at...

http://www.doubledown350z.com/gallery12207.htm
Old 12-10-2007, 07:01 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Saturday 12/01 Mike Bonanni = NA (mild mods) RA's Blue 350Z / Scott Bush = NA (no brakes mild mods) Fallenromeo's 350 Z

Sunday 12/02 Mike Bonnani = NA Relentless Autosports 350Z / Scott Bush = TT Double Down 350 Z

http://www.speedventures.com/results/Default.aspx

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 12-11-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:43 PM
sfarrah

Congrats on another impressive event!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:22 AM
RKnight

Mike, do you guys use a pyrometer to determine adjustments to your suspension settings or just go by how the car feels. I was suprised in the fact that I never saw anyone break out a pyrometer after a session all weekend. At autocross events you see a lot of people using them.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:52 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

^^^Usually we do.