Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Debate: Race vs School lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:20 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spf4000
Depends on the school too. I noticed that they teach much more aggressive lines at racing schools compared to HPDE events held by SCCA and NASA and such. Plus, most HPDE schools teach people that you're supposed to drive out to the optimum exit line (even when you're still within the tire's grip limit), while racing schools teach people to let the car drift out to the optimum line at the exit. If your car is not going out to the optimum exit point on its own, it shows you that you still have some grip left, and you can either adjust your apex a bit earlier or increase your acceleration coming out of the corner.

But I think it's okay for HPDEs to be teaching safer lines. Most of the people attending HPDE have little to no experience, so I wouldn't want them teaching people to use lines that have no margin for error. There are plenty of crashes at HPDE events as is.
+1

The schools I have attended, in my area, they, instructors, don't teach the race lines, unless your an advance driver.

A Novice driver, 1st time at the track, I doubt they are going to teach a race line.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:09 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there's some confusion about what a "race" line is. If a driver in a race is all by himself on the track (leading or DFL) they will drive a line pretty close to what the driving schools teach. Each track has a fast qualifying line that's close, but not exactly what's taught at driving schools and that's what a lone racer should be shooting for. Turn 2 at Willow Springs has three different "lines" depending on the situation at hand.

When another car is overtaking or being overtaken the line driven is different. This is what's described as the "race" lines. These lines are slower around the track because two cars closely racing each interfere with driving the perfect line. That's why a third driver farther back can catch up.

A defensive "race" line is usually down the middle of the track entering a turn, forcing the overtaking driver to go around the outside. There are very few drivers that can make a pass on the outside stick.

An offensive "race" line is as far inside as required and as late braking as possible to get a front wheel even with the overtaken driver's door. You get to that point and the inside driver owns the corner and the outside driver has to give way and allow racing room.

Both of the above descriptions are very general and there are a lot of variation (both good and bad). Driving a car in a race while trying to overtake or keep from being overtaking is very different from time trials or qualifying. Remember, the winner of a race is the first car across the finish line, not the car with the fastest lap(s).
Old 12-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Stack

You're all wrong

The race line is whatever line you happen to be on during a race... period. Whatever it takes to finish the race, preferably in front of everyone else, preferably using the slowest lap times possible.

The debate Marty has started should actually be called School Line vs. Time Trial or Qualifying line.

In my not-so-humble opinion of course... especially seeing as how I don't race except in the virtual world.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:21 PM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stack
You're all wrong

The race line is whatever line you happen to be on during a race... period. Whatever it takes to finish the race, preferably in front of everyone else, preferably using the slowest lap times possible.

The debate Marty has started should actually be called School Line vs. Time Trial or Qualifying line.

In my not-so-humble opinion of course... especially seeing as how I don't race except in the virtual world.
Ok smarty-pants, then what's the Bench-racing line?

Old 12-30-2008, 05:25 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman

According to my kids, it the short cut through the shopping mall in Midnight club.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:34 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Radius = MPH

Bigger radius = faster
That's not fully the case.

It should be..the sooner on the throttle = faster.

many corners actually call for a sharper turn in, then an increasing radius arc to apply the throttle sooner and straighten before the track out.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
stuntman

Originally Posted by mhoward1
That's not fully the case.

It should be..the sooner on the throttle = faster.

many corners actually call for a sharper turn in, then an increasing radius arc to apply the throttle sooner and straighten before the track out.
If you want to go that far, I will take it a step further.

It really is a case-by-case basis. Depending on the car's power, grip level (mechanical, tire, and aerodynamic), the cars weight, the type of corner, etc...

For medium and higher speed corners where putting power down isn't an issue, first off the radius will be larger than a tighter lower-speed corner, and second, as speeds increase, the line will be more constant than lower-speed corners (generally speaking).

I for one am for straightening the exit sooner and putting the power down earlier but on data, sometimes constant-radius and higher mid-corner speeds with later on-throttle points will be faster.

Arguing on the internet is useless, you need to look at data of a more constant-radius line compared to a later apex/earlier on throttle line to determine for that car and corner, what line is faster.

But yes, R does = MPH in all regards, its a formula (much more complex but simplified to R=MPH) developed by Colin Chapman...
Old 12-30-2008, 06:13 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

Well lets screw up the whole thread and talk about the rain line...LOL
Old 12-30-2008, 06:18 PM
stuntman

Originally Posted by WXSigns
Well lets screw up the whole thread and talk about the rain line...LOL
Thats simple, the line that has the most grip for THAT lap
Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Stack

I think you're reading it!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Stack

Stuntman's right actually though, it is definitely a case-by-case basis ... While I'm of the opinion there's "A" perfect line around any given track (i.e. the "line" is the same whether for a miata or Stuntman's Semi), the approach and manipulation of the car around that line will vary based on the innumerable variables that go with each aspect of equipment, experience, and track.

And comparing data is only truly worth anything if, and only if, a driver is consistent enough and skilled enough to make the car do what he or she wants... then make it do something else in the same turn, THEN come back, and do the other thing again.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:20 PM
stuntman

/thread
Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
spf4000

While I'm of the opinion there's "A" perfect line around any given track (i.e. the "line" is the same whether for a miata or Stuntman's Semi), the approach and manipulation of the car around that line will vary based on the innumerable variables that go with each aspect of equipment, experience, and track.
Not true. A lightweight, low HP momentum car has a different optimum line through corners compared to a high-HP, heavyweight car. Lines even change depending on whether you're running racing slicks or radials.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:13 AM
Stack

Not true. A lightweight, low HP momentum car has a different optimum line through corners compared to a high-HP, heavyweight car. Lines even change depending on whether you're running racing slicks or radials.
And therein lies the debate... I thought about this in the shower this morning (cause I knew this exact post would be waiting for me):

There is an optimal line around every track based on the track layout and construction. It's not just geometrics, it's also turn layout, surface quality, camber, width, etc. etc. THAT line does not change (except when one of the construction or layout factors changes permanently.) On any given track, depending on your vehicle, your driving style, your risk threshold (and again, ALL the other variables) you will have to compromise that line in some way. So... to put it simply, once and for all (at least for me):

YOUR line might change, but THE line does not.

Does that make sense to anyone else?
Old 12-31-2008, 06:34 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Stuntman's right actually though, it is definitely a case-by-case basis ... While I'm of the opinion there's "A" perfect line around any given track (i.e. the "line" is the same whether for a miata or Stuntman's Semi), the approach and manipulation of the car around that line will vary based on the innumerable variables that go with each aspect of equipment, experience, and track.

And comparing data is only truly worth anything if, and only if, a driver is consistent enough and skilled enough to make the car do what he or she wants... then make it do something else in the same turn, THEN come back, and do the other thing again.
great post, and I would also add that the track has to be looked as as a whole vs corner by corner. The optimal line is a specific corner may have to be sacrificed a bit to flow better in to a corner that has a higher priority over all.

In truth, being able to just look at data is a huge step forward for the non-F1 driver. The systems that now are available to anyone can really be a great leaning tool for those who are trying to fine tune what they know.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:33 AM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

FWD has a different line. I've tracked both RWD and FWD and the turn into Apex is completely different.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:54 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Let's not forget that every race track is different and needs to be factored into the discussion. But to me and for each HPDE or track day I have instructed at, teaching the fast (also known as the qualifying or ideal) line has to be the prime topic. Why? As others have said, the fast line usually has the widest arc throughout the turn, maximizes speed and minimizes turning forces. In other words, the fast line is usually the safe line!

The "race line" as described here doesn't make much sense. Yes, during a race you can deviate from the ideal line to overtake in that turn . Most racers will then intersect the proper racing line after making the pass until it's time to make another one! The ones who don't have usually been repassed or spun off to the side...

The point is, novices have a lot of information being poured at them at a typical track day or HPDE. Why would you NOT teach the ideal racing line to them from the very outset? Sure, everyone (depending on their car setup, RWD vs. FWD, etc) will modify that line slightly for their best entry, apex and exit, but it's not nearly as radical as making a pass.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 AM
mpowers

What? Their is a race line?

mpowers
no one ever told me,lol
Old 12-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by mpowers
What? Their is a race line?

mpowers
no one ever told me,lol
Yeah... if you'd have waited to become HPDE Champion before going racing you'd know that
Old 12-31-2008, 10:18 AM
mpowers

Yeah... if you'd have waited to become HPDE Champion before going racing you'd know that

Damn!

mpowers

Quick Reply: Debate: Race vs School lines