Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

My car classed in XP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:54 AM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My car classed in XP?

I am doing a tt may 8. I answered some questions and they classed me in xp. I know I can figure out nasa's class system really easy as they use the super easy points system. But scca is confusing to me. I went on their site and went blind reading rules in pdf and gave up and posted here. What exactly is xp and how outright slaughtered will I be? My car has a built n/a block with cams. The suspension: hotchkis sways with powergrid endlinks, tc kline da koni's, zeal front top mounts, eibach race springs with coilover sleeves in the front, kinetix front camber arms, and the stock revised springs in the rear. The brakes are stock brembo's with ss lines and carbotech xp8's. I can run on street tires or bfg r1's.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 AM
akomsr1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your build isn't too extreme. It would actually fall into SM but 350Z are unfortunately excluded from this class. I'm not too familiar with the rules, but prepared classes are the least restricted classes below Mod classes (which consist of formula type racers). In prepared you are allowed to cut almost anything you want as well as relocate and redesign the suspension. Any engine is allowed but I'm not sure if they must be from the same manufacturer. Almost no restrictions as far as engine and transmission gear mods. Most importantly, I believe true racing slicks are allowed as well. AP is the slowest while XP is sort of a a catch all class for the more extreme builds. In other words, a very well prepared class car is very light, very fast, and very powerful. But, it's a pretty thin class in SOLO2 and SOLO1 probably has even less competitors.

Here's the rule book
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_R...Solo_Rules.pdf
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
1cockyZ

Well just read all the rules for BSP and my build puts me out.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:39 AM
akomsr1

Yeah your motor puts you out of BSP. The next step up from there is SM but the 350Z is a two seater so straight to Prepared you go =)
Old 04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the Z is completely eligible for SSM (nee SM2), which is the purpose-made two-seater SM class.

I don't know why they'd put you in XP unless you had an engine swap. A built engine on a production block is no problem in SM.

note: this applies to Solo II, but since the class names you're using are all Solo II (autocross) class names, that's what I thought you were talking about. I have no idea about Solo I (time trials). But I think they use classes like T1-3, GT1-3, IT, SSB-C, etc...and they are classed via the GCR.

Last edited by guitarist; 04-23-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:48 PM
1cockyZ

When I looked a while ago it would have been a B street modified but now I don't know why ssm wouldn't be where I would go. NASA still definately has a much better system IMO. Its a time trial but the people I am running with use the solo class system I guess. I just do it for the track time but coming in last is never fun.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM
ke0ki2k

sounds like a super street mod car in autox? I'm not familiar with SCCA TT's though. Even engine swaps are legal for SM2 if youre using an engine from the same manufacturer as the chassis, so XP doesnt make any sense unless you changed the attachment points or style of suspension. the good news is that SSM cars at nationals were quite a bit faster than XP cars last year...ya might wana stick to XP.

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 04-23-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:51 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed, you should be classed at SSM, not XP