Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

REAR Tow hook question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iStan
Should be with your jack and tools.
Well I removed all that crap, and it wasn't back there. Dang.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I take it, then, that in your experience side loads do not bend the OE hook? And what is your experience regarding the tow chain/rope damaging the bottom of the bumper cap? Thanks for any info.
No, I did have the rear tow hook bend about 30 degrees. A couple hits with a hammer bent it back. And yes, the tow strap (race track tow guys use strap, not chain) scuffed the bottom of the bumper cover but it waxed right out.

Please remember that if your car goes off track and requires a tow out of whatever you got yourself into, there will be damage to the car beyond a bent rear tow hook and a scuff on the rear bumper. Taking your car on a race track guarantees paint chips, scrapes, windshield cracks, etc. And that's if you're really lucky and don't wreck.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
No, I did have the rear tow hook bend about 30 degrees. A couple hits with a hammer bent it back. And yes, the tow strap (race track tow guys use strap, not chain) scuffed the bottom of the bumper cover but it waxed right out.

Please remember that if your car goes off track and requires a tow out of whatever you got yourself into, there will be damage to the car beyond a bent rear tow hook and a scuff on the rear bumper. Taking your car on a race track guarantees paint chips, scrapes, windshield cracks, etc. And that's if you're really lucky and don't wreck.

Obviously this mod isn't for the faintest of hearts, and i sure hope no one here is doing this cause they wanna have the "JDM tow hook sticker" and look at me la...la..la...mentality..

I don't understand why owners bring their cars to the track, have a blast and repeatably say "That was so much fun, oh man, i cant wait to come again"

Then they get home and start crying and bietch'n about how their car is all scrapped up and how they hit so many cones and that they don't wanna mess up their pretty little daily driver......wha..wha......

It is what it is......You Gotta Pay to Play!.........you can't bring that weak azz crap to the play ground .....the fifth graders will whoop your azz.....

Worst of all, i hate the ones that cant take it, and start crying "it isnt worth it, and your dumb" passing judgment as if I'm an idiot for going out on a track and ruining such a pretty car........(who the hell bought it cause it was pretty???) Hell like if going to the track with a car thats designed too is wrong or something

ehh, sorry for the rant...

-J
Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Stillen Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by betamotorsports

Bending the tow hook isn't a cosmetic issue. You can't see the hook anyway unless you're on the ground laying on your back so any cosmetic issue associated with a bent hook is not relevant. On the other hand, bend the hook a few times and whack it back into place each time and pretty soon metal fatigue may set in and the hook cracks or breaks off altogether when you need it most.

To be sure, mulitiple uses of the rear tow hook probably means you were off the track and into the weeds more than once. But, it happens. And over a long enough period, being in the gravel on several occassions is pretty likely.

I don't see much wrong with 1) my figuring out if the tow hook is strong enough to do the job (apparently it's not) and 2) figuring out an alternative if it is not. In this case, it seems that the tow hook is pretty marginal, good for a few uses, but maybe nothing beyond that.

Yes, track duty will inevitably lead to cosmetic damage (and more, of course, if you hit something). But, trying to avoid damage beyond the inevitable stone chips and cone scuffs seems reasonable. Track cars can look good or they can look like battered escapees from the crusher. How they look doesn't necessarily correlate with lap times, but my observation is that front running cars are usually the better looking ones. And if you're not a front running car, it's still better to look good than not.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:16 PM
imonlykidden

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
^ pics??
Z_Mini posted basically what I have done. Mine is Black though.

Originally Posted by NismoZ_840
Do they make one that is blacked out or is Carbon Fiber?
Yes, I had to call cusco for the black one, they sent me the red one.

Sorry for the delayed response, I cannot get pics as of now. I am currently overseas right now. Baghdad, Iraq. So basically what Z_mini did I have done, having my shop bolt and weld it for more stability. Might reinforce it more, If I decide to do something else i'll be sure to post pictures.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:01 PM
z_mini

VTR Got them for me and did the install. If you want I can find out were he got them from.

IMGP3970.jpg?t=1245365899

IMGP3967.jpg?t=1245365999

IMGP3968.jpg?t=1245366036
Old 06-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Stillen Z

Originally Posted by z_mini
VTR Got them for me and did the install. If you want I can find out were he got them from.
Yes, please post that information. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 PM
imonlykidden

Oh fack me, I am not sure which ones I have anymore, If i have Nukabe, or cusco. Been a while since I have been home and seen my car. haha, Oh well. All in all I did it like Z_mini.

okthxbi
Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious what Nukabe towhook that is?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Plenty of the Motorsports sites have good hooks like Pegasas Racing.

The OEM hook is pretty stout though.