Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

REAR Tow hook question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 AM
halfrice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REAR Tow hook question

So i know we have the front tow hook that screws in, but some events require a rear tow hook as well, any recommendations on where and how to install it on the z? thanks

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 08-25-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: title update for searching
Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have one, check driver's side rear.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:53 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Z already has one..

*edit you beat me to it... ya rear, drivers side near bumper plastic...
Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
imonlykidden

Yeah, It's hidden if you are not trying to find it. I had a Cusco rear tow hook fabricated to it so it would be a little bit more visible.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ pics??
Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 PM
NismoZ_840

Wink

Originally Posted by imonlykidden
Yeah, It's hidden if you are not trying to find it. I had a Cusco rear tow hook fabricated to it so it would be a little bit more visible.
Do they make one that is blacked out or is Carbon Fiber?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Stillen Z

I, too, was wondering what to do about a rear tow hook. Are you folks sure that's a tow hook down low on the driver's side rear?

It certainly looks like it could be, but it seems a little on the flimsy side. If the car is being pulled straight back, it looks like it would be fine. But, if any side load is put on it (as in getting you out of gravel trap when the tow vehicle cannot line up directly behind you), it looks like it will bend pretty easily.

And a second problem is that it looks like the hook is low enough and recessed far enough back that any tow chain or rope attached to it will rub pretty severely on the lower part of the bumper cap.

Anyone out there have any experience getting pulled out of trouble at an awkward angle...did the hook bend? Did the lower part of your bumper cap get get torn up?

NismoZ 840, I'd sure appreciate it if you'd post a picture or two.

I heard of one owner who cut a small access panel in the rear bumper cap directly behind the license plate, then welded a threaded receiver to the structure that is right behind the cap. When at the track, he'd remove the licence plate and screw a front tow hook into the receiver and, voila!, a rear tow hook. I didn't see this myself, but I heard about it from someone who supposedly saw it with their own eyes.

Any opinions on whether this is a viable solution? It seems like it would be if the structure immediately under the rear bumper cap is strong enough.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear tow hook works fine (I know) if you add something like this on your track days:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3709t26/=2d08y6
Old 06-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Stillen Z

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
The rear tow hook works fine (I know) if you add something like this on your track days:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3709t26/=2d08y6

How would adding a connector link do anything? The link would, in effect, just be the first link in the tow chain. If my concerns about the OE hook bending under side load and damage to the bumper cap are valid (I don't know if they are), how does a connector link change things?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oddly enough, I never found the OEM front tow hook, although I did buy the car used. Where would it be stashed?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:00 PM
z_mini

Justed got these installed.

IMGP3956.jpg?t=1245279539

IMGP3954.jpg?t=1245279393
Old 06-17-2009, 03:03 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
Oddly enough, I never found the OEM front tow hook, although I did buy the car used. Where would it be stashed?
Should be with your jack and tools.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoZ_840
Do they make one that is blacked out or is Carbon Fiber?
No, rear tow hooks are purely functional units that tend to be big and beefy. Carbon fiber won't be the material of choice. I had a 3/8" aluminum tow hook fabricated for the rear of my Z. But it still snapped when being towed out of the gravel trap at last years' June Sprints at Road America. Then the front end loader had to use the OEM rear tow hook. With the tow strap hooked up, they had to lift the entire rear of the Z out of the gravel trap. Bent the rear bumper upwards and actually creased the LR fender as it put so much pressure on this area.

Now I have another large tow hook welded to the RR aluminum bumper brace. I hope to not use it this year...
Old 06-17-2009, 03:47 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How would adding a connector link do anything? The link would, in effect, just be the first link in the tow chain. If my concerns about the OE hook bending under side load and damage to the bumper cap are valid (I don't know if they are), how does a connector link change things?
It doesn't and I wasn't addressing your concerns. I've run the above and have been pulled out of Buttonwillow silt without a problem. Practical experience trumps Internet Engineering every time. :-)
Old 06-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Stillen Z

Originally Posted by z_mini
Justed got these installed.

That is slick. Where did you get it?

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
It doesn't and I wasn't addressing your concerns. I've run the above and have been pulled out of Buttonwillow silt without a problem. Practical experience trumps Internet Engineering every time. :-)
I take it, then, that in your experience side loads do not bend the OE hook? And what is your experience regarding the tow chain/rope damaging the bottom of the bumper cap? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 PM
NismoZ_840

Originally Posted by dkmura
No, rear tow hooks are purely functional units that tend to be big and beefy. Carbon fiber won't be the material of choice. I had a 3/8" aluminum tow hook fabricated for the rear of my Z. But it still snapped when being towed out of the gravel trap at last years' June Sprints at Road America. Then the front end loader had to use the OEM rear tow hook. With the tow strap hooked up, they had to lift the entire rear of the Z out of the gravel trap. Bent the rear bumper upwards and actually creased the LR fender as it put so much pressure on this area.

Now I have another large tow hook welded to the RR aluminum bumper brace. I hope to not use it this year...
I was just ribbing the Z Goths (what else can I black out on my Z...) and CF ******. I'm not really looking for black or CF tow hooks
Old 06-17-2009, 07:33 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Z mini is there one on each side???? can you show us some father back pics?

yes, where did you buy them? or did you just have someone fab them up for you?

-J
Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Also, Has anyone fabricated a rear lift point? I use the drivers side oem tow hook to lift the rear of my Z at drift events where i want both rear tires off the ground at the same time.

I have been wanting to fab a piece that mounts in the center that i can use to lift the car evenly.

I have an aftermarket exhaust so i have room in the middle......I have been thinking of using some of the existing structure points back there to mount a block that protrudes down to serve as a lift point.

I cant get to the diff with my jack and now i have a nismo finned cover, so that wont work.
-J
Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 PM
halfrice

Always wanted the air jacks, wonder how much they would cost
Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
Also, Has anyone fabricated a rear lift point? I use the drivers side oem tow hook to lift the rear of my Z at drift events where i want both rear tires off the ground at the same time.

I have been wanting to fab a piece that mounts in the center that i can use to lift the car evenly.

I have an aftermarket exhaust so i have room in the middle......I have been thinking of using some of the existing structure points back there to mount a block that protrudes down to serve as a lift point.

I cant get to the diff with my jack and now i have a nismo finned cover, so that wont work.
-J
I have the NISMO finned cover as well, and could slide a low race jack (from Costco!) past the NISMO and through to the diff. Now I have the single MD Shockwave, so just slide 'er right through the middle. My car is pretty low on TC Kline DA Coilovers.

Quick Reply: REAR Tow hook question