Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

The Tire DB - Posts about Track and AutoX tire brands

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 PM
mzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Since you mentioned it - Pacific Raceways it is I have done 3 days there by now and feel like I am ready to start playing with pressure settings. Looks like 42-44 PSI cold is way too much. No wonder I was bouncing like a ball in turn 2
Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 PM
350Zdj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WXSigns
In two laps at Pacific your going to raise the psi easily by 8-10 PSI. This is why a lot of instructors at Pacific tell people to do two laps to get R-compounds up in heat then go more aggressive on the track.
+1

The tyres are gonna heat up during the action so as a result, you will have more pressure later on. Steering response is pretty soft at the beginning but as the tyres heat up, they get better. After doing 1 full hour at the track my brand new Invo showed no signs of getting chewed up at the side walls.
Outer patch shows more wear though. Thus the need for camber kit.

btw i live in the middle east and it gets pretty warm here so i need lower tyre pressure

Maybe 37-38 psi front and 35- 37 psi rear is enough for you during the cold season.

good luck!

Last edited by 350Zdj; 01-10-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mzz
Since you mentioned it - Pacific Raceways it is I have done 3 days there by now and feel like I am ready to start playing with pressure settings. Looks like 42-44 PSI cold is way too much. No wonder I was bouncing like a ball in turn 2
With that PSI I'm surprised your not bouncing like crazy coming out of t9 onto the front straight.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:06 PM
mzz

Originally Posted by 350Zdj
+1

The tyres are gonna heat up during the action thus you will have more pressure later on.
Yes, that's why I mentioned I get 47-49 when heated up. I was not really sure how much is enough. Now, looks like I probably should be running around 35 cold (front), which would bring me to around 42 hot.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 PM
mzz

Originally Posted by mzz
Yes, that's why I mentioned I get 47-49 when heated up. I was not really sure how much is enough. Now, looks like I probably should be running around 35 cold (front), which would bring me to around 42 hot.
Funny enough but T8-T9 usually goes pretty smooth. Slippery but smooth. It's T2 where I really start asking myself if my tires are doing good.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 PM
350Zdj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mzz
dont forget to keep the rear tyre pressure lower than the front.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 PM
mzz

Originally Posted by 350Zdj
dont forget to keep the rear tyre pressure lower than the front.
Check that

Found a good summary on tirerack for adjusting for under/oversteering: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=58.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:54 AM
julian

36-37 psi hot
Old 01-11-2009, 06:03 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you kinda new at tracking, try this plan for street tires (not R-comps):

Start out in the morning with factory "COLD" tire pressures (likely 35 psi), and then check them ASAP at the completion of each session when you pull back into the paddock. Then let the excess pressure out down to not more than 40 PSI "HOT"....do this after each session.

After you get a better feel for your tires/track/ambient Temps/etc, you will find that you use a COLD STARTING pressure of as low as 30-32 and different front-to-rear and left-to-right pressure differences as suggested below. Or you may find on a really cold day (new freezing) that you may need to have a higher pressure (higher than factory cold pressure recommendations) for the 1st session of the day. For example: I sometimes run LF= 30 psi, RF 32 psi, LR=31, RR=32 on a predominantly "right-turn" track since the LF tire will get hotter than the RF...same goes for the LR tire. It normally gets hotter than the RR, thus the tire pressure will grow at different rates so my starting psi is different, but reach a similar "hot" psi on the track.

I live in Atlanta, GA and we track all year long. So when it is 30 deg in the mornings, my COLD PSI is much different/higher than when it is 90 deg for the 1st track session. But the process of lowering the pressure after each session is the same.

Note: If you are running a 2-day event, you will need to "air-up" the morning of the second day since you will have let so much air OUT of you tires. I might find 2nd day starting PSI as low as 20 PSI before adding back in air.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 AM
OPTIMO

Originally Posted by julian
36-37 psi hot
I'm in this ballpark.

I normally start with 35PSI COLD.

Then after my first session, I immediately take a reading of PSI. It's normally 41-42. I normally shoot for 38psi hot, so I would let the pressure out until it reached 37PSI.

Next time out I should be running at 38psi when I'm hotlapping.

It's also a great time to get an IR read of how hot the front rotors are.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:44 AM
mzz

Thanks to all of you! I was definitely on the wrong side with my higher pressures. Makes perfect sense to keep the contact patch as wide as possible. Next time I will do what you suggest and check it after each session to keep it under 40.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by laze1

Start out in the morning with factory "COLD" tire pressures (likely 35 psi), and then check them ASAP at the completion of each session when you pull back into the paddock. Then let the excess pressure out down to not more than 40 PSI "HOT"....do this after each session.

After you get a better feel for your tires/track/ambient Temps/etc, you will find that you use a COLD STARTING pressure of as low as 30-32 and different front-to-rear and left-to-right pressure differences as suggested below. Or you may find on a really cold day (new freezing) that you may need to have a higher pressure (higher than factory cold pressure recommendations) for the 1st session of the day. For example: I sometimes run LF= 30 psi, RF 32 psi, LR=31, RR=32 on a predominantly "right-turn" track since the LF tire will get hotter than the RF...same goes for the LR tire. It normally gets hotter than the RR, thus the tire pressure will grow at different rates so my starting psi is different, but reach a similar "hot" psi on the track.

I live in Atlanta, GA and we track all year long. So when it is 30 deg in the mornings, my COLD PSI is much different/higher than when it is 90 deg for the 1st track session. But the process of lowering the pressure after each session is the same.

Note: If you are running a 2-day event, you will need to "air-up" the morning of the second day since you will have let so much air OUT of you tires. I might find 2nd day starting PSI as low as 20 PSI before adding back in air.
Very well put.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:35 AM
laze1

Thnx!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:37 AM
laze1

Added advice:

Purchase a good racing-type air pressure gauge, and use it exclusively!

Why: If you tested with 5 x tire gauges, you would likely get 5 different readings, so just use one gauge all the time for this tire tuning process.

Originally Posted by laze1

Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 PM
akomsr1

Hi guys. Will 17x10 +18 fit without a problem on all four corners using stock suspension? I'm planning on running 275/40/17 street tires on them. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:52 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A day late and a dollar short, but here are my 17x10 +25 FNs with 275/40 rubber.

akomsr1: It'll be close. It'll probably more depend on which tire you choose and if/when you change your suspension set-up. My +25s were so close to the upper arm that I ran a 3mm spacer; then they lightly scuffed on the outside edge. That puts them at a net +22, yours will be an additional 4mm out. You may need a lot of camber or a smaller tire to not scuff the outside. I'll probably try a few gentle laps without the spacer next time to grab some more room, as I've seen people run 275s with this set-up a bunch. The 275 Hoosier may be wider than another 275 tire you choose though:

Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
akomsr1

Thanks Scott (and thanks for replying in my other thread too)

Although Hoosiers should run much wider than street tires in the same size, their specs show they have the same section width. Maybe I'll go with a 9.5 inch square setup just to be safe.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by akomsr1
Thanks Scott (and thanks for replying in my other thread too)

Although Hoosiers should run much wider than street tires in the same size, their specs show they have the same section width. Maybe I'll go with a 9.5 inch square setup just to be safe.
Some more knowledgeable members w/r to Hoosiers have stated that they are wider than their specs indicate. . .
Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 AM
akomsr1

Originally Posted by scotts300
Yup, they sure are (17x8.5, 17x9.5). They came with the car when I bought it, so I used them while scrubbing in new Hoosiers on 17x10 FN01R-Cs; I'll be selling them soon. Funny - I'm using RPF1s for autocross also. 17x9.5 +38s with 275 V710s.
Scott, did you have any problems with the RPF1 17x9.5 +38 in front? Would this be a safer fit than the +18 offsets they offer? I'm not sure how much suspension clearance our cars have.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by akomsr1
Scott, did you have any problems with the RPF1 17x9.5 +38 in front? Would this be a safer fit than the +18 offsets they offer? I'm not sure how much suspension clearance our cars have.
Depends on what tire brand you choose. The 275 Hoosiers are supposed to be run on a 10" or more wheel (even though I ran a set of R5s on 17x9.5s for years without issue). You'd need a spacer with the +38, but I think that may be a better choice than the 17x10+18 in the front with a 10 or 15mm spacer if there aren't other sizes available.

Quick Reply: The Tire DB - Posts about Track and AutoX tire brands