Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Track Junkies w/ VQs - Is an oil cooler a must have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:53 PM
M1r4cL3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track Junkies w/ VQs - Is an oil cooler a must have?

First off, I did search and found some good info but nothing I would consider definitive.

I've heard considerable talk lately about stock 370s going into limp mode on the track for excessive oil temps their VQs produce.

I've also heard talk about excessively tracked 350s spinning barings and/or consuming oil.

Is the temperature of my oil something I should be highly concerned about?
Should I get an oil cooler ASAP?

I would like to avoid discussion about F/I 350s or those race prepared. I want to know about the average Joe Schmoe tracking on high level street tires, in intermediate level run groups, around 5-6 times per year.

Please share your input, expertise, advice if you have experience or insight into this.

Last edited by M1r4cL3; 09-14-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Typos > me
Old 09-14-2009, 04:31 PM
pchio

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Adam, do you have DE or HR? I have no overheating problem with me DE on the track, even in a very hot day in willow springs, I had my heater on with full speed btw. One time I forgot and kept my A/C on, the water temp gauge did went up to about 3/4. I dont have an oil cooler, but I do have the bigger stillen oil pan which adds about 3 more quarts of oil. On the other hand, my friend's HR (stock) overheated about 3-4 laps on the same day tho, plus another Z at the same day spun his bearings and needed to get it towed.

So my suggestion is, YES, get an oil cooler or at least a bigger oil pan. Better to be safe instead of spending big money for engine repair.
Hexxus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't go wrong having an oil cooler, so either way, you're win-win.
halfrice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been doing about 3-4 track events a year with the z, been holding okay but also starting to worry, so will be installing an oil cooler in the near future.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

370's have wimpy main bearings vs the DE (not sure about the HR, never really studied them)

You also have to really define 'track'. For your typical lapping day on street tires, it's really your call. Certainly won't hurt as mentioned, but depends on the sessions you run, the type of track, etc. I used to do quite a bit of track use (mainly Lime Rock, on r comps) before I built the motor on my car, and never once had any issues (no oil cooler). Now I run a built NA motor with ~2000 rpm more than stock and still run without an oil cooler, though now it's just for street fun and weekends, no more track stuff for the Z
Old 09-14-2009, 05:09 PM
M1r4cL3

Originally Posted by pchio
Hey Adam, do you have DE or HR? I have no overheating problem with me DE on the track, even in a very hot day in willow springs, I had my heater on with full speed btw. One time I forgot and kept my A/C on, the water temp gauge did went up to about 3/4. I dont have an oil cooler, but I do have the bigger stillen oil pan which adds about 3 more quarts of oil. On the other hand, my friend's HR (stock) overheated about 3-4 laps on the same day tho, plus another Z at the same day spun his bearings and needed to get it towed.

So my suggestion is, YES, get an oil cooler or at least a bigger oil pan. Better to be safe instead of spending big money for engine repair.
What's goin on Pat... long time no see

I have a DE... early 2004 performance model.

Up to this point, I haven't had any overheating problems either. As far as I know my water temp gauge reads pretty consitent and never above 1/2 but I will keep a closer eye on it now.

I kinda feel the same way as you, it's better to have overkill rather than under kill. Better to spend a lil now instead of a lot later. But then again, I don't want to make unnecessary expenditures either.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:22 PM
M1r4cL3

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
You also have to really define 'track'. For your typical lapping day on street tires, it's really your call. Certainly won't hurt as mentioned, but depends on the sessions you run, the type of track, etc. I used to do quite a bit of track use (mainly Lime Rock, on r comps) before I built the motor on my car, and never once had any issues (no oil cooler). Now I run a built NA motor with ~2000 rpm more than stock and still run without an oil cooler, though now it's just for street fun and weekends, no more track stuff for the Z
I guess I would define 'track' as HPDE on full road courses. There are a number of great tracks here in NorCal. The one I've been driving on is Thunderhill. I would like to branch out at least once this year and hit Infineon, Laguna Seca, and/or Reno-Fernley. I also anticipate an opportunity to hit Streets of Willow in SoCal in the not-so distant future.

As previously, my experience level is intermediate and I've been running 180tw street tires. Nothing hardcore or over the top about me.

Good to know that you didn't really have any problems.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ah oh, beware of Solo-350z's wrath.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:33 PM
plumpzz

Not too scientific but I noticed that running mobile 10w-30 on a HPDE, my oil pressure was pegged at 60psi at 6000rpm. Normally I'm at 60psi at 60mph at 3000RPM. I'm guessing the oil was loosing viscocity due to overheating. It was enough for me to get a GTM oil cooler. Its cheap insurance. Costs less than one track day..
Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

the stillen oil cooler adds 1 quart additional vs stock
Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 PM
M1r4cL3

370's have wimpy main bearings vs the DE (not sure about the HR, never really studied them)
I've recently read an article (originating from Sport Compact Car) talking about oil coolers and such. The only thing is, the reference "tracked" Nissans but they don't really say what level they mean. Are we talking hardcore track guys or Joe Schmoes.

The SCC article states:
"... we've seen and heard of two consistent signs of weakness from the people within Nissan Motorsports.
VQs and previous generations of Nissan motors, stretching from the QR to the RB series, all use a modern-style bearing material that's fairly intolerant to heat. While older engines used a tri-metal, lead-based alloy (designated F-770 internally by Nissan) that held up well at elevated temperatures, newer bearings use a lead-free material (for environmental reasons) that's far less tolerant of high oil temperatures. This is why most new Nissans from Sentras to Skylines all use oil coolers and bearing failure is so common for track-bound GT-Rs and 350Zs. At temperatures below 300 degrees F, where most synthetic oils are still stable, the newer lead-free bearing material has already changed chemically and been damaged permanently. Even at 250 degrees F, these bearings have lost significant load-bearing capacity."
It also goes on to offers info about early model VQs (i'm assuming they mean DE) that may conflict with your assertion:
"Early generations of the VQ also used small bearings, which have less surface area to reduce friction and mass. The drawback is more load per bearing area. When coupled with a bearing material intolerant of high temperatures, that results in a lot of spun bearings in hard-driven cars."

Last edited by M1r4cL3; 09-14-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

my statement was only with respect to VQ's (bearings on VQ35DE vs the VQ37HR)
Old 09-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HR - i saw 150+c oil temps... so yes , oil cooler is a very good idea.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
mistico

I've done over 20 track days(half on Rcomps) on my 06 without an oil cooler, some in 100+F heat. This winter I'm installing a Koyo radiator, oil cooler and oil pan spacer just for peace of mind. The car is turning more and more into track only car so it makes sense.
For a street car that sees the track only a few times a year, not a must, but a wise thing to do at only about $400.

This is what I'll install: http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...cat=266&page=1
Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
uglyduc

Where are you guys mounting your coolers?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:55 PM
mistico

^ it mounts on the aluminum section of the front bumper. You need to drill a couple of holes.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:04 PM
uglyduc

It seems directly centered on the backside of the front bumper is the only place you can mount like that. The left and right side of the bumper has a slight curvature making a flush mount difficult.

Does anyone have pics of the kit mounted centered off the back of the bumper?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 PM
M1r4cL3

my statement was only with respect to VQ's (bearings on VQ35DE vs the VQ37HR)
Fair enough ... the article is a bit ambiguous in nature. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:13 PM
M1r4cL3

I've seen in a couple places that 248F seems to be the magic number u want to avoid.

Does anyone have any readings of the DE oil temps out on the track? Is anyone getting 248F in their not-built N/A DE?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 AM
dnguyent

I've had an oil cooler for almost 4 years that I sourced from Bat, Inc. I installed one only because I noticed appreciable power losses during the later part of a 20-minute session. I never ran any temperature tests, and haven't installed a proper oil temp sensor to see what was going on. I merely did it as a precautionary measure. I do an average of 8 track days per year. So far, the engine is still fine (~45 DE days), but these are just DE's, not TT or races where I'd probably push the car a lot harder (not enough safety equipment to justify it).

Quick Reply: Track Junkies w/ VQs - Is an oil cooler a must have?