Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

help for suspension set up

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:54 AM
sasquatch308

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help for suspension set up

I need to figure out my suspension finally on how I want it for track driving but also for street.
I came across Hotchkiss sways as they are fully adjustable.
then coilovers I've heard KW V.3 are too soft, but looking at clubsports but are a little pricey. as well as Tein, Cusco, HKS hypermax Sports, Stance...
any light you guys with experiance with these coilovers that can lend me some quick advice would greatly be appreciated.
Alex
Old 09-18-2009, 08:11 AM
ldstang50

search, there's TONS of information already on here
Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 AM
sasquatch308

already looked through this thread for track, and the suspension area. got information, but not towards a comparison. as most of the coilovers seam for better feel for DD or what not or full out race prepped cars. I'm not naive enough to not search first. now I'm here asking for answers
Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 AM
ldstang50

here's what a search of kw coilovers brought up

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...d-reviews.html

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...d-reviews.html

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coilovers.html

Wow that took 2min and 31 seconds, to search, click, copy then paste

You're right, that was so hard to find, I'm not sure how other people have done it.

Anything else we can do for you??? You need a search done for a local gas station, insurance agent, GPS so you can find your way back home?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ldstang50
Anything else we can do for you??? You need a search done for a local gas station, insurance agent, GPS so you can find your way back home?
Hello, welcome to OnStar. How may we help you today?

OnStar Forum Service: helping noobs since 1998.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take it easy on the guy fellows, he was pointed to this section (not by me) because it was thought this was the section of the board with the most knowledge on the subject.

To me this section is just what it's titled, so he would have to take any advice gained here with a gain of salt when it comes to the "Street" part of what he wants. Lot's of setups being run here aren't going to be the greatest on the street. And that is not to say we'd want to send him out on cheap generic stuff.

For what he want's I would consider Kw Variant 2 or 3. And then if much tracking actually get's done, a consideration for deleting the progressive rear springs that come with the setup. Yes, trackside comments do exist about the Kw Variant 3 that's it's too soft. I see that as a plus for the street and in any event no matter what your doing you don't want things so stiff that it doesn't allow the suspenison to do it's job.

Concerning the other brands mentioned based on your needs.

Monoflex: Too much spring and too much damper

HKS sport: Too much rear spring and too much damper (would only consider if you've kicked the VLSD to the curb and installed something that actually limits slip and I still think its not going to be too friendly on less then smooth roads in the street).

Stance: show me a dyno and I might raise a eyebrow

Cusco: Liked by people I trust to know good and bad behavior, default to Kw however

Kw Clubsport:Overkill for your needs. Another problem, Ohlins DFV isn't that much more. Granted you trade up to pillowball upper mounts, your choice within a range of spring rates, and different valving along with fatter piston rods and pillowball upper mounts vs the variant 3. However, it's still a twin tube and I would not trust it with spring rates much higher then the V3. I'm not clear on what the bigger piston shaft means for total oil volume.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 09-18-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he was pointed to this section (not by me) because it was thought this was the section of the board with the most knowledge on the subject.
That's true but there is always a price to pay when on a quest for knowledge:

Old 09-18-2009, 04:02 PM
sasquatch308

thanks for the help. Idstang I appreciate the concern and will let you be the first to know of I need anyother help . Come and collect your toll...

Thanks Gsedan35 that is What i was looking for.
Alex

Last edited by sasquatch308; 09-18-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:47 PM
wulfgang

Rather than starting a new thread, I'd like to also get suspension input for just a strut/spring combo (no coilovers) from track guys. For the occasional track day (4-7 per year), would you shell out $1.5k+ for coilovers, go with something like koni struts and/or Eibach springs, or just keep it stock?

Again, I have no interest in drop, just what you think might be nice for track days and a bit of fun on some mountain roads.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 PM
guitarist

Originally Posted by wulfgang
Rather than starting a new thread, I'd like to also get suspension input for just a strut/spring combo (no coilovers) from track guys. For the occasional track day (4-7 per year), would you shell out $1.5k+ for coilovers, go with something like koni struts and/or Eibach springs, or just keep it stock?

Again, I have no interest in drop, just what you think might be nice for track days and a bit of fun on some mountain roads.
The answer will come down to what you want to get out of your track days, and/or how much compromise you can live with on the street.

Do you mind putting up with 358 days of too much noise/minor discomfort (good shocks will make even very stiff springs pretty OK to drive on) for 7 days of seriously improved performance? Are you competitive about your track days? Do you have aspirations toward time trials?

Would you rather have a comfortable but still fine-handling car for the street? Do you already have dedicated track wheels and tires (this is the single biggest improvement over stock, in terms of sheer performance and lap times)? Have you reached the limits of the stock suspension and actually need to upgrade in order to continue progressing?

If you answer these questions for yourself, you'll likely come to an answer. Higher performance springs and dampers will likely mean a bit more noise, depending on how they attach. Setups that don't create more noise and stiffer ride characteristics (even if well-damped) probably won't offer much in the way of a performance boost over stock either.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:37 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

What he said.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:16 AM
betamotorsports

Here's what's on my 2006 250Z and it was good enough for a pro driver in my car (not me) to match the NASA TTC lap record (1:56.xxx) on the Cal Speedway Roval course and run 150mph through turns 1 and 2:

1. Koni sport shocks.
2. Nissan Motorsports adjustable ARBs.
3. Custom machined Hydlar front UCA bushings.
4. 18 x 10 RPF1s with 285/30-18 BFG R1s.
5. Stock 2006 350Z spring package.
6. OS Giken LSD.
7. Stock engine, trans, rear gears.
8. Stock base mdoel brakes with Hawk DTC70 pads and air ducting.
9. Big, giant brass *****.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Here's what's on my 2006 250Z and it was good enough for a pro driver in my car (not me) to match the NASA TTC lap record (1:56.xxx) on the Cal Speedway Roval course and run 150mph through turns 1 and 2:

1. Koni sport shocks.
2. Nissan Motorsports adjustable ARBs.
3. Custom machined Hydlar front UCA bushings.
4. 18 x 10 RPF1s with 285/30-18 BFG R1s.
5. Stock 2006 350Z spring package.
6. OS Giken LSD.
7. Stock engine, trans, rear gears.
8. Stock base mdoel brakes with Hawk DTC70 pads and air ducting.
9. Big, giant brass *****.

What is #2, ARB's. Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 12:03 PM
guitarist

Originally Posted by mw9
What is #2, ARB's. Thanks
Anti-roll bars.

But imo, #9 was the most important item on that list
Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 PM
sektor 11

+1 on #9. wow. 150mph?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:07 PM
betamotorsports

Yup. The best I could manage was 135 even after riding with Erik in my car about 3 feet from the outside wall at 150.

My ***** are little marshmallow ones.