Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Review of JIC FLT-A2, KW V3 and Zeal Function X coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Review of JIC FLT-A2, KW V3 and Zeal Function Xs coilovers

Within the last few months, I was able to try out these suspension setups. Each suspension has it's pros and cons.

JIC FLT-A2:

The ride quality of the JIC's are very stiff. The ride quality would probably not be appreciated by 90%+ Z owners due to its level of harshness. They handle fairly well, but as the shocks age the overall feel is a bit more compromised than its counterparts. The overall quality of the suspension is not too bad for the price. The shocks IMO seem a bit over valved. This suspension also allows for a nice drop if wanted.

PROS:
-Great lowering abilities for OEM suspension style.
-Above average handling when suspension is newer.
-Comes with pillowball uppermounts.
-Fairly easy to adjust dampening.

Cons:

-Rough ride quality.
-Feel of suspension is compromised as it ages.
-Shocks seem over valved.
-Have to utilize zip ties and a generic metal collar to hold brake lines and abs sensors.

KW V3:

The ride of this suspension is great for street use. They feel really soft and comfortable especially since this coilover setup utilizes the OEM rubber upper mounts for the shocks. This shock is definitely too soft for any type of racing. I was also disappointed in the fact that the adjusters on the coilovers were made of some sort of plastic material? That was definitely not something I was expecting with coilovers that have a retail price of around $2,200. It's just too bad that Koni no longer builds the shocks for KW. These also do not allow for much lowering, so for people looking for a nice drop...this is definitely not the suspension for you. The max drop is about 1.5 to 2" with the rear bump stops removed. The overall quality for the price was definitely sub par.

Pros:

-Comfortable ride and great for street driving.

-Cons:
-Generic hardware for the price.
-Lowering ride height is very limited
-No pillowball uppermounts included (Must re-use OEM rubber uppermounts)
-Too much roll for any type of great handling.
-Pain in the butt to dial in dampening and rebound adjustments.

Zeal Function Xs:

This suspension is the entry level suspension that Zeal offers. However, I am very impressed with the overall setup. Surprisingly, the ride quality with pillowball uppermounts and 12/10 kg spring rates is very good. This suspension is great for street driving as well as the weekend racer. However, I would recommend stepping up to their more sophisticated suspension setups for full race applications.

Dampening adjustment as well as ride height adjustment is definitely much easier when compared to OEM style setups. The ride height adjustment has a lot of room for adjustment to satisfy the end user. I was able to completely dump mine. I'm really starting to love the true rear coilover suspension setup. The overall build quality is awesome. This is by far my favorite suspension setup so far. Coupled with Battleversion rear camber and toe arms, adjusting the suspension settings are definitely much easier and i'm surprised more people aren't running this type of setup. I highly recommend Zeals.

Pros:
-Great handling for street/weekend racer.
-Easy ride height and dampening adjustment capabilities.
-Great ride quality utilizing pillowball uppermounts.
-A lot of ride height adjustment capabilities.
-Great overall quality for the money.

Cons:
-A bit pricier than other coilover suspensions.

Last edited by Rickdogg; 03-13-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Fat Back 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rick,

Nice review. I am looking for a new suspension set-up now and this helps alot. I just had one question. I know generally people want to lower there rides but the front of mine is pretty low as it is. I was wondering if the zeals have the ability to slightly lift as opposed to dropping it even more. I would love to have the ability to keep it up during DD applications and slam it to the ground during a track session. Let me know when you get the chance or anyone else that reads this. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by Fat Back 350z
Hey Rick,

Nice review. I am looking for a new suspension set-up now and this helps alot. I just had one question. I know generally people want to lower there rides but the front of mine is pretty low as it is. I was wondering if the zeals have the ability to slightly lift as opposed to dropping it even more. I would love to have the ability to keep it up during DD applications and slam it to the ground during a track session. Let me know when you get the chance or anyone else that reads this. Thanks!
Of course. The Zeals can ride high or really low. However, keep in mind that each time you make an adjustment like that, you'll have to dial in the alignment accordingly.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 AM
jubes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cost of zeals? Arm? Leg? Arm + Leg?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 AM
HawaiianBBQ

Nice job on the review. I have JIC's on my 07. It is a lot of equipment for street and some track. Talk about having more than I need... BUT it is "better to have it and not need it", than to need it and not have it. Thanks to Dat N. and the boys at Speed Alliance for the hook up. BTW the FLT-A2's come in different spring rates for those of you who are intersted in a little softer ride.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Within the last few months, I was able to try out these suspension setups. Each suspension has it's pros and cons.

KW V3:

The ride of this suspension is great for street use. They feel really soft and comfortable especially since this coilover setup utilizes the OEM rubber upper mounts for the shocks. This shock is definitely too soft for any type of racing. I was also disappointed in the fact that the adjusters on the coilovers were made of some sort of plastic material? That was definitely not something I was expecting with coilovers that have a retail price of around $2,200. It's just too bad that Koni no longer builds the shocks for KW. These also do not allow for much lowering, so for people looking for a nice drop...this is definitely not the suspension for you. The max drop is about 1.5 to 2" with the rear bump stops removed. The overall quality for the price was definitely sub par.

Pros:

-Comfortable ride and great for street driving.

-Cons:
-Generic hardware for the price.
-Lowering ride height is very limited
-No pillowball uppermounts included (Must re use OEM rubber uppermounts)
-Too much roll for any type of great handling.
-Pain in the butt to dial in dampening and rebound adjustments.
While I would never own the Kw's because of it's twin tube construction, dyno results and because of it's use of a wide progressive rate spread in the rear. I will disagree with you about the feel of their adjuster's. Having had Variant 2's in my hands last month to run shock dyno's on, those adjusters had very well defined detents, and had a overall feel that was far superior to Koni's adjustment system, they even have better definition then my Bilstein Pss9 adjusters. Now of course I cannot comment about the feel of the compression adjuster on the caniser since variant 2's only adjust rebound from the top of the piston shaft. Also the construction at the top looked more robust then Koni as well, two things that did cast doubt in my mind that Koni is still making the dampers for them, just to be honest. However, it is my understanding that the Kw's are still manufactured by Koni to Kw specs.

Your comments about them being too soft for racing is echo'd across other platforms where trackside comments from S2000 owners and 3 series owners say the same thing.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
I was also disappointed in the fact that the adjusters on the coilovers were made of some sort of plastic material?
you can get metal ones as a no cost option, but kw claims that the plastic (some sort of specially formulated material) are better
Old 03-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Fat Back 350z

Hey rick,

Thanks alot. Gonna do some more research but i think the zeals are the ones I will be going with.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
While I would never own the Kw's because of it's twin tube construction, dyno results and because of it's use of a wide progressive rate spread in the rear. I will disagree with you about the feel of their adjuster's. Having had Variant 2's in my hands last month to run shock dyno's on, those adjusters had very well defined detents, and had a overall feel that was far superior to Koni's adjustment system, they even have better definition then my Bilstein Pss9 adjusters. Now of course I cannot comment about the feel of the compression adjuster on the caniser since variant 2's only adjust rebound from the top of the piston shaft. Also the construction at the top looked more robust then Koni as well, two things that did cast doubt in my mind that Koni is still making the dampers for them, just to be honest. However, it is my understanding that the Kw's are still manufactured by Koni to Kw specs.

Your comments about them being too soft for racing is echo'd across other platforms where trackside comments from S2000 owners and 3 series owners say the same thing.
Thanks for the input. I personally was not impressed with the KW's, but that's my review of the product. I don't think i'll ever be purchasing from them anytime soon as their coilovers do not cater to my needs at all. They are perfect for people that want a comfortable ride.

Last edited by Rickdogg; 03-13-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by warmmilk
you can get metal ones as a no cost option, but kw claims that the plastic (some sort of specially formulated material) are better
I definitely was not aware of that. Thanks for adding that information for those that may want to go that route.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by Fat Back 350z
Hey rick,

Thanks alot. Gonna do some more research but i think the zeals are the ones I will be going with.
The Zeals are really nice. Coupled with the battleversion camber and toe arms...suspension adjustment is a breeze.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:05 AM
tired

How friendly are the Zeals for DD use? I'm talking slammed driving 80+miles/day on bumpy freeways, roads, etc.

12/10 would probably be what I would roll with. Maybe even softer if possible.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by tired
How friendly are the Zeals for DD use? I'm talking slammed driving 80+miles/day on bumpy freeways, roads, etc.

I personally love them. However, the term "friendly" is really subjective depending on the end user. I'm slammed and have been driving all over so cal this past week with no problems. Of course being slammed, you have to worry for debris and major bumps on the road, but that is a given.

My gf even commented saying that these are smooth. Pretty good to hear that knowing that the car is completely stripped with a full cage and spherical bearing/ball joints throughout the suspension.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Sponge

Thumbs up

Thanks for the review Rick. I'll have to take a look at the Zeals now. I also had concerns over the progressive spring for the rear, linear would be a nicer option.

I really just want a firm, aggressive ride without getting my fillings rocked LOL.
Sounds like the XSs may be for me
Old 03-15-2009, 11:59 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Wow. I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews on the KW's.
I hear a lot of people love them, and then a lot of people don't think there that great. (nobody has said there crap yet, so that's good)
I had the V2's on my last car (not a Z) and i thought they were actually very stiff event when set 2/3 of the way up on the damping.
I was seriously considering the V2 for the Z, because a lot of people have said they are very comfortable for DD, but if you set them to hard, they can be quite stiff for the track. Also, i can get them here in europe for A LOT less than in the states.
Rick, when you tried the KW's, did you have adjustable sway bars, and how hard where they set. I ask because i have adjustable sway bars, and i have them set to the middle, and i hardly get much body roll with the TEIN springs. but that's only spirited driving on the street. I guessed that if i got some coilovers that were a bit stiffer than stock and set the sway bars to full hard, it would be a lot better.
Bare in mind that i will only track the car 3 -4 times a year.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by tired

i used to commute oc to la, 90+ round trip on zeals, but in 18/14kg rates, you will be fine. you can even custom spec to whatever you want if you want softer than 12/10.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM
A.H

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
I hear a lot of people love them, and then a lot of people don't think there that great. (nobody has said there crap yet, so that's good)
I had the V2's on my last car (not a Z) and i thought they were actually very stiff event when set 2/3 of the way up on the damping.
I was seriously considering the V2 for the Z, because a lot of people have said they are very comfortable for DD, but if you set them to hard, they can be quite stiff for the track. Also, i can get them here in europe for A LOT less than in the states.
Rick, when you tried the KW's, did you have adjustable sway bars, and how hard where they set. I ask because i have adjustable sway bars, and i have them set to the middle, and i hardly get much body roll with the TEIN springs. but that's only spirited driving on the street. I guessed that if i got some coilovers that were a bit stiffer than stock and set the sway bars to full hard, it would be a lot better.
Hmmm.....I agree with you on this one. I personally LOVE my Kw's to death and it's the perfect balance of handling and comfort imo. It seems everyone that doesn't like the KW always is switching to Zeals. While I do agree lowering is limited compared to other coils, I don't think that is so big of a problem. Here is a pic of my car at HIN taken by Shaddix and I can go a lot lower in the front. And I persoanlly think the stiffness and handling can very much keep up with aggresssive driving while being a nice DD. I haven't been to the track yet but push my car very hard in long canyon runs and have no complaints. Idk but I though the balance and comfort of these made them the coils for me. Just imo though

Old 03-16-2009, 08:05 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by A.H
Hmmm.....I agree with you on this one. I personally LOVE my Kw's to death and it's the perfect balance of handling and comfort imo. It seems everyone that doesn't like the KW always is switching to Zeals. While I do agree lowering is limited compared to other coils, I don't think that is so big of a problem. Here is a pic of my car at HIN taken by Shaddix and I can go a lot lower in the front. And I persoanlly think the stiffness and handling can very much keep up with aggresssive driving while being a nice DD. I haven't been to the track yet but push my car very hard in long canyon runs and have no complaints. Idk but I though the balance and comfort of these made them the coils for me. Just imo though
i dont think anyone is doubting KW's as far as the quality/ride. It is more the track oriented people who dislike the fact that the springs are progressive. This is ok bc KW's, are intended for the "sporty" driver, they have the clubsports for the track minded folk.

car looks great btw. since the first time you came in for the roll
Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 AM
A.H

Originally Posted by daytona350z
i dont think anyone is doubting KW's as far as the quality/ride. It is more the track oriented people who dislike the fact that the springs are progressive. This is ok bc KW's, are intended for the "sporty" driver, they have the clubsports for the track minded folk.

car looks great btw. since the first time you came in for the roll
On the handling note, the progressive springs are better for canyons and rough road so you don't bounch all over the place and get some nice grip but I understand how from a track perspective they might not shine as much as other coils. Thx for clearing that up

Thx for the compliment Anthony I've had a lot of ups and downs but I am getting really close to finishing my exterior
Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
If I recall (correct me if i'm wrong), when the V2's are set to really stiff the life cycle of the shocks are highly effected according to shock dynos. I am running hotchkis sway bars with the fronts set at the hardest setting and the rear set at medium. You can click on the "my garage" link under my screen name for more modification and weight details of the car. My other suspension mods are as follows:

-Custom 12 Point Roll Cage built by L-Con Race cars
-ZEAL Function XS Coilovers w/ 12/10 Spring rates
-350evo Front A-Arms
-ARC Front Upper Strut Bar
-350evo Rear Swaybar endlinks
-Battleversion Rear Toe Arms
-Battleversion Rear Camber arms

Quick Reply: Review of JIC FLT-A2, KW V3 and Zeal Function X coilovers