Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

RPF1's 17x10 +38 all around

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bnag0
Correct.

I just want to know if the 17X10 +38 would really look or perform all that bad, it is still 17mm extended past the stock wheels...

And if the +38 is no good then how much camber will i need for the +18 if i am going to drop the car slightly
Tho I am not running the same wheels I'll give some examples of what I'm doing on my car.

I have two setups 17 and 18
17x9 +27 square. I run 7mm spacer up front and a 1/2" spacer in the rear. I also run ~-3.2 degrees in front and ~-2.0 in the rear.

18x9 +34 I use the same spacer and same camber
18x10 +44, same spacer and same camber.

THe 18s are my street wheels, but occasionally I'll pick a good deal on 18" track rubber. Without the spacers my 18s rub on the inside, fronts always rub and the rear rub under heavy lateral load. With the spacers life is good.

To add to anothers comment previously. You really want to make sure that under full compression that things do not rub and the front tires will not get into the fenders. When I was setting up the rear to 315s I had my heavy nieghbor jump in the hatch and I jacked each wheel up to the end of travel, it was extremely close but with some rolling and other stuff it cleared.
Now if I could just find a way to get 315s on the front.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:56 AM
NismoZ_840

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be aware that you'll need an offset around +20 or below to clear the front brembos and some other BBKs with 17" RPF1.. Stock brakes are fine though.

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ar-13-bbk.html

I think Atauro is runinng 17x10 and has non-stock camber to clear meaning you'll need a camber kit too.

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...nkei-rpf1.html

Last edited by NismoZ_840; 04-21-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:18 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

OP,

I'm lost as to why "being a track guy" are you so hesitant to roll the fenders??

I don't comprehend how anyone, not just you, buy coil overs, large wheels, lower the car, hit the track so often, but frown on rolling fenders..........boggles my mind as its so minor and forgotten about once done...............

+18 offset - and you know it! buy a camber arm, and adjust camber.......why wouldn't you!?!???

plus, why on earth would anyone buy light weight RPF1's and then add weight to use spacers due to buying horrible offset............along with fitments on Big brake kits, etc..

-- Are the buddy club racing spec coilovers you want true coilover style? as in one piece rear and NO spring in the spring bucket???

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 04-21-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:51 AM
bnag0

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
OP,

I'm lost as to why "being a track guy" are you so hesitant to roll the fenders??

I don't comprehend how anyone, not just you, buy coil overs, large wheels, lower the car, hit the track so often, but frown on rolling fenders..........boggles my mind as its so minor and forgotten about once done...............

+18 offset - and you know it! buy a camber arm, and adjust camber.......why wouldn't you!?!???

plus, why on earth would anyone buy light weight RPF1's and then add weight to use spacers due to buying horrible offset............along with fitments on Big brake kits, etc..

-- Are the buddy club racing spec coilovers you want true coilover style? as in one piece rear and NO spring in the spring bucket???

-J
I dont plan on tracking all that much and once you roll your fenders there isnt any going back. Im not saying rolling your fenders is a bad thing but when it comes time to sell the car after i take it back to stock and someone sees that i have rolled my fenders they are prolly gunna think i had some kind of "track" set up which usually scares people off. Maybe if i were to buy a second pair just to track with...

I rather stay away from body work and stick with adjusting camber and buying a correct offset.

And as far as running spacers i dont plan on it.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM
raz0rbladez909

I dont plan on tracking all that much and once you roll your fenders there isnt any going back. Im not saying rolling your fenders is a bad thing but when it comes time to sell the car after i take it back to stock and someone sees that i have rolled my fenders they are prolly gunna think i had some kind of "track" set up which usually scares people off. Maybe if i were to buy a second pair just to track with...

I rather stay away from body work and stick with adjusting camber and buying a correct offset.

And as far as running spacers i dont plan on it.
The thing is, if you properly roll your fenders nobody will even be able to tell unless they stick their face down by the wheels. Just make sure you heat them up really well, or you will crack your paint, if you don't feel confident have a good shop do it for you, as said before with the offset you are looking at it might not clear brembos without a spacer, that is unless you are using the standard brakes. Once you do it you won't regret it, also with the 17x10 +38 offset will it clear the coilovers? I guess i'm overthinking it, but i was hesitant about rolling my fenders too but now i have no interest in ever getting rid of it so our situations are slightly different, good luck man and the square setup is my favorite decision so far turn in is unbelievable with so much grip up front.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 PM
bnag0

Originally Posted by raz0rbladez909
The thing is, if you properly roll your fenders nobody will even be able to tell unless they stick their face down by the wheels. Just make sure you heat them up really well, or you will crack your paint, if you don't feel confident have a good shop do it for you, as said before with the offset you are looking at it might not clear brembos without a spacer, that is unless you are using the standard brakes. Once you do it you won't regret it, also with the 17x10 +38 offset will it clear the coilovers? I guess i'm overthinking it, but i was hesitant about rolling my fenders too but now i have no interest in ever getting rid of it so our situations are slightly different, good luck man and the square setup is my favorite decision so far turn in is unbelievable with so much grip up front.
After looking around i think i am going to go with either the 17x9 +22 or 17x9.5 +18 or 17x10 +18 depending on tire price/size/popularity

As far as rolling the fenders, i might know someone who can do it. If i did it you wouldn't have to look so close to tell lol

Thanks for the help everyone

Last edited by bnag0; 04-21-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:12 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone run this spec for the track?

I ran it into the offset calculator and it sticks out 14-17mm past the stock wheels, I see that a lot of people run with the 18mm offset and have to adjust camber and maybe roll the fenders to make it work. I rather go for a near stock set up with a wider wheel so i don't have to worry about it.

What is your opinion?
I run the 18x10 +38 RPF1 tires on the track all around, currently with 285/30/18 tires but just bought 295/30/18s and will migrate to them in the upcoming weeks. I do run spacers front and rear, but the high offset allows the big rubber and the ability to rotate them completely. You need to be careful about the 17" RPF1 though, as the barrel tucks in (i.e. the ID of the wheel gets smaller), and they will hit Brembos without BIG spacers and wouldn't clear my StopTechs. I could not make the 17x9.5 +38s work and stick with big tires because of the amount of spacer necessary. The 18s are no problem.

+38 is a pretty weak offset for the z, i'm running the fn's in 17x10 +12 all around with 275 40's, im sure you can at least do the +25's without worrying too much about rubbing
What most of you guys consider "weak" offsets does not come into play when you are talking about a track car. I did used to run 17x10 +25 5Zigens with 275 Hoosiers, but nothing larger would fit on the front on that 17x10 - absolutely no way. The 18s allow bigger tires because there is less sidewall, 295 fronts can, have, and will happen on my car as well.

Originally Posted by NismoZ_840
Be aware that you'll need an offset around +20 or below to clear the front brembos and some other BBKs with 17" RPF1.. Stock brakes are fine though.

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ar-13-bbk.html

I think Atauro is runinng 17x10 and has non-stock camber to clear meaning you'll need a camber kit too.

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...nkei-rpf1.html

Agreed - the 17" RPF1 is a concern. I'd try a test fit on a single wheel, first. I suggest the extended studs with REAL spacers (not bolt on spacers) from SPLparts.com.

OP,

-J
J,
Although I agree with your question, fender rolling really isn't necessary for big tires on a track Z. My fenders are not rolled, and I'm on 285s all around (moving to 295s). As you know, tracking is not a fashion show.

After looking around i think i am going to go with either the 17x9 +22 or 17x9.5 +18 or 17x10 +18 depending on tire price/size/popularity

As far as rolling the fenders, i might know someone who can do it. If i did it you wouldn't have to look so close to tell lol

Thanks for the help everyone
I'd reconsider. Track wheels, in my opinion, should have high offsets so you can always go with bigger rubber, although the wheels above would allow you to run 275s all around but not have the ability to rotate (17x10 +18 on the front with a 275 - no way). I've been through a dozen sets of track wheels - my latest set-up is my favorite given it's versatility.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:26 AM
sektor 11

I always take note when scotts300 talks about offset.

Question though, what would you recommend for us "cheapskates" out there who are looking to save a buck with a 17" tire? I'm leaning away from the rpf1 just in case I ever do go to a bbk (which is a long way off).
Old 04-22-2010, 05:21 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by scotts300

J,
Although I agree with your question, fender rolling really isn't necessary for big tires on a track Z. My fenders are not rolled, and I'm on 285s all around (moving to 295s). As you know, tracking is not a fashion show.
Oh i agree, if you knew me you would know I don't care about looking killer flush or any of that crap......i save that for the morons..........

I guess my experience with rolled fenders comes from owning 18 wheels of various sizes for drifiting/autoX/track in general and adjusting my coilovers and car to different heights adjustments, etc... THAT the last thing I even wanna mess with is fender lips - so i rolled them and DONE and DONE, its a non issue now.........

-J
Old 04-22-2010, 06:02 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by sektor 11
I always take note when scotts300 talks about offset.

Question though, what would you recommend for us "cheapskates" out there who are looking to save a buck with a 17" tire? I'm leaning away from the rpf1 just in case I ever do go to a bbk (which is a long way off).
On paper, 17" tires are less expensive than their 18" counterparts. That was the main reason I used them as well, but I started to find myself stuck to 275/40/17s. There are no 285/17s nor 295/30/17s, and I think only one 295/35/17, leaving 295/40/17 (huge sidewall) the next larger size - also not many models available in that size. I recently learned there are so many 18" (sticky) tire options because tire manufacturers design tires based on an 18" size because that's what is raced on the most. Any other sizes are adaptations of the 18s which may or may not be optimal. There are also a boatload of take-off race tires in 18" to save those high tire costs.

BTW, I'd probably source a used set of 5Zigen FN01R-Cs or any lightweight USED wheel, like the SSR Comps, in 17x9 minimum. Those clear the 332mm BBKs.

Oh i agree, if you knew me you would know I don't care about looking killer flush or any of that crap......i save that for the morons..........

I guess my experience with rolled fenders comes from owning 18 wheels of various sizes for drifiting/autoX/track in general and adjusting my coilovers and car to different heights adjustments, etc... THAT the last thing I even wanna mess with is fender lips - so i rolled them and DONE and DONE, its a non issue now.........

-J
Fair enough and I'm in agreement. I just wanted to make sure that others with track/street cars knew that rolling was not mandatory. Once I end up with the 305 rears, I may need that roll myself, though I was thinking I could balance it with the appropriate spacers.

Last edited by scotts300; 04-22-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 AM
bnag0

+38 is a pretty weak offset for the z:
Explain what you mean by weak?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:47 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Explain what you mean by weak?
He means they are high (even though it's a 10" wheel - most people discount the wheel width when talking offsets), so they will be tucked into the fender well like the stock wheels (which Nissan does for a reason) instead of flush to the fender.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Shoppin for track rims is a b#%ch ain't it?
On the budget, RPF1's in 17x10 with spacers are the way to go.

However, if OEM Brembos are a concern you can find some Advan RS wheels in 17" or 18" which have more space than just about any wheel I have seen. However, they are definitely not cheap. I personally run Advan RS just to make sure I clear Brembos (or AP 14.25" that I was lookin at for a later date).
Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

You can check out this thread for wheel suggestions too:

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ight=mb+weapon

-J
Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Stillen Z

Originally Posted by scotts300
Agreed - the 17" RPF1 is a concern. I'd try a test fit on a single wheel, first. I suggest the extended studs with REAL spacers (not bolt on spacers) from SPLparts.com.
I went to splparts.com, but couldn't find spacers (bolt on or real). Any chance you have some more info so I can find what you're talking about?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Miggz

Why add spacers? Why not just get the correct offset right off the bat?
I'm running the same RPF1's 17x9.5(255x40)F & 17x10(275x40)R at +18 with no issues at all.

GL in your choice/purchase.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Miggz
Why add spacers? Why not just get the correct offset right off the bat?
I'm running the same RPF1's 17x9.5(255x40)F & 17x10(275x40)R at +18 with no issues at all.

GL in your choice/purchase.
Couldn't read 2 pages worth of posts before replying?

You can space a high offset wheel for wider tires, you can't "unspace" a low offset one.

Last edited by T_K; 04-22-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a set of 17X9.5 +35 SSR's that I test mounted on the front. (These are the wheels I run on the back of my Z)

17X9.5 +35 (275/40-17 tire) did not clear the suspension arm.

I did squeeze the same tires on my skinny 17X8.5 +31 SSR's and the mushroomed tires cleared the suspension arm by +/- 1/4" .
Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 PM
bnag0

You can check out this thread for wheel suggestions too:

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ight=mb+weapon

-J
Lots of great information in there!

The RPF1's

Basically to run without spacers like i intend to do and clear brembos / bbk i would have to go with a +18 offset so i am looking into the 17x9.5 +18 BUT there is always a f*&king BUT you have to run with a negative 3 degree camber in the front wouldn't that tare up the insides of your tires???
Old 04-22-2010, 07:03 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of great information in there!

The RPF1's

Basically to run without spacers like i intend to do and clear brembos / bbk i would have to go with a +18 offset so i am looking into the 17x9.5 +18 BUT there is always a f*&king BUT you have to run with a negative 3 degree camber in the front wouldn't that tare up the insides of your tires???
If you intend to track the car you will be running at least 2.5 degrees up front anyway, if you're serious about it anyway. It's actually not as bad as you think if you keep the toe near zero. The wear is uneven but I wouldn't say the wear is really that much accelerated.

Plus, the 'HellaFlush' guys on here will give you 'mad props' which you can trade in for new tires later on I hear.

Quick Reply: RPF1's 17x10 +38 all around