Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Brake Pads - What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:51 PM
mekatoka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads - What should I do?

At my recent track day (Autobahn Country Club, Joliet, IL) I noticed that the rear rotors had pad deposit on them. Surprisingly the front rotors looked clean.

From what I understand, pad deposit occurs when the temperature reaches higher than operating range of the pads OR the brakes are not getting enough air to cool down. I currently use Carbotech XP10/XP8 combo.

My car is stock 08 Nismo, no changes made except for rotors, pads. I always do my cool down laps properly. So, what should do now?

- Upgrade the pads to XP12/XP10 combo?
OR
- Try Brake cooling?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:26 PM
halfrice

i would recommend calling carbotech as ive heard they are really helpful in assisting in pad selection
Old 09-01-2010, 03:11 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. Carbotech can make a recommendation based on the car and your skill level.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mekatoka
At my recent track day (Autobahn Country Club, Joliet, IL) I noticed that the rear rotors had pad deposit on them. Surprisingly the front rotors looked clean.

From what I understand, pad deposit occurs when the temperature reaches higher than operating range of the pads OR the brakes are not getting enough air to cool down. I currently use Carbotech XP10/XP8 combo.

My car is stock 08 Nismo, no changes made except for rotors, pads. I always do my cool down laps properly. So, what should do now?

- Upgrade the pads to XP12/XP10 combo?
OR
- Try Brake cooling?
Performance Friction PF97 x 4 /thread

Originally Posted by davidv

This thread needs some photos.
Here ya go:

Old 09-02-2010, 02:28 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Before switching the pads out I would look at your data since you had the unit. Check to see if you were draging or coasting on the brakes vs the quick but smooth stabs and then release of the pedal.

On many Z's running the Carbotechs though, many run the XP12/XP10 if competing, but the XP10/XP8 for HPDE's and other driving schools.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:29 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Before switching the pads out I would look at your data since you had the unit. ,,,
I did a dumb thing, forgot to take the power cable So I borrowed the cable from another person at the track. So I got only 2 lap readings. I will try to check it and see how I did.

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Check to see if you were draging or coasting on the brakes vs the quick but smooth stabs and then release of the pedal.

On many Z's running the Carbotechs though, many run the XP12/XP10 if competing, but the XP10/XP8 for HPDE's and other driving schools.
- The XP10/XP8 combo is recommended combo for Z's with street tires.
- I have about 16-17 track days experience and I am intermediate level driver
- I'll check the little data I logged to see how I did, it's possible that I braked harder than required at this track.

I have never seen the brake pad deposit like this before, it's possible I am braking harder than before. I have read that using powerful brake pads than needed can essentially lock up the wheels and is not a good thing.

Someone at the track said, it's possible that the car is getting enough air flow to cool down brakes in front but it might not be the same in rear. So, try doing brake ducts or some kind of cooling for the rear. Does it make sense?

Last edited by mekatoka; 09-02-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:53 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Someone at the track said, it's possible that the car is getting enough air flow to cool down brakes in front but it might not be the same in rear. So, try doing brake ducts or some kind of cooling for the rear. Does it make sense?
Out of all the brake cooling threads on this site, not one of them mentioned cooling the rear brakes. All front.

That's not to say that your did not over heat for sure - but I do not think it would be due to air flow.. maybe some other factor - like pads dragging.

Do you swap pads for street/track?

Last edited by thekinn; 09-02-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 AM
AznSky

Scott did you really paint your car green?

That's freakin awesome! Looks like the porsche GT3 green
Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

What brakes do you have? Stock non brembo 06 to 08? If so, those are real easy to overheat due to the size of the pad.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by terrasmak
What brakes do you have? Stock non brembo 06 to 08? If so, those are real easy to overheat due to the size of the pad.
I have Stock Brembos, pads are Carbotech XP10/XP8

Originally Posted by thekinn
.... maybe some other factor - like pads dragging. Do you swap pads for street/track?
I'd like to think that I do not drag the brakes, but ya never know. I'll have to log data next track day to see if I am doing that.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by AznSky
Scott did you really paint your car green?

That's freakin awesome! Looks like the porsche GT3 green
Sure did - thanks!

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Even the non-Brembo 03-05 rears are horribly tiny and overheat easily. He should be fine with the Brembos with good pads and high-temp, bled-fluid.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have OEM Brembos and have never had a rear heat problem. I only run ducts to the fronts. I run XP16 in the front, XP12 in the rear, absolutely love them, great bite. I started with the 12/10 setup when I was less experienced.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by thekinn
Do you swap pads for street/track?
Forgot to answer this - NO, I drive the track pads all the time.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Forgot to answer this - NO, I drive the track pads all the time.
Aren't you already changing wheels anyway? The Brembos are a breeze to change, and given your track experience, I think you're ready.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by scotts300
Aren't you already changing wheels anyway? The Brembos are a breeze to change, and given your track experience, I think you're ready.
I've been lazy to do this and have been leaving the track wheels on this year. I don't do a lot of street driving, just drive it to the track and inspections. I am planning on getting the Z on trailer to track from next year.