Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

VSLD vs Clutch-Type LSD

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:42 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

^Why not consider the nismo? Just curious.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
The guy who works on my car (Todd at "TidewaterZ") has the Quaife and really likes it......that was pretty much my reasoning!!!!!
Any advantages to the Nismo over the Quaife?????
Old 12-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Totally agree with what beta posted. As someone who's driving style was more ham-fisting it around the track, when you have an LSD that reacts so quickly, and locks up so positively, I agree, it takes some getting used to. It forces you to be smoother. The stock LSD is so lazy by comparison, and so easily overpowered, it ends up taking away from learning proper technique

I had the Cusco and now have the Quaife. Both are fantastic units, and I can't say I favor one vs the other. The adjustability a clutch type affords you is very nice...if you're going to use it. They do give you alot more flexibility. If you're not, and are instead more of the set it and forget it type, who doesn't want to fiddle, then the Quaife is far easier - it does what it does, there are no changes you can make, and it does what it does extremely well

I've posted this many times before, but IMHO the LSD upgrade remains, to this day, the single best mod I've ever done to my car.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:46 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the OS Giken mostly because I am good friends with one of their sponsored drivers, who puts down ridiculous laps in his car. I also chose it since it seems to be the best LSD as far as road racing technology is concerned. Isnt the Quaife more of a street diff? I have heard that if you get the inside wheel a little light, it will still spin it, is this true?

The price between the OS Giken and Nismo was too close and I have heard the Nismo is loud and a bit rough to drive. I am pretty smooth driver when it comes to throttle input, so I think this will be a great upgrade.

Last edited by ThreeFiveZero Z; 12-13-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveZero Z
Isnt the Quaife more of a street diff? I have heard that if you get the inside wheel a little light, it will still spin it, is this true?
I have never had this problem and I autocross a lot. (However my car isn't an all-out track car)
Old 12-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Quaife can be dual purpose, but yes, it relies on both wheels being on the ground. Once one lifts, it's an open diff. How prone the car is to lifting a wheel is dependant on alot of things of course. I've had it happen at the exit of West Bend at Lime Rock (pre aftermarket LSD of any kind) - came in too fast, turned in a bit too late and boom, you're at the candy canes, coming off the turn at a good clip, and it just shot up. I got lucky and didn't spin the car, but I've seen it happen many times (hell I've done it in our track car, though it's not a Z). This is why you don't see the 4x4 gys who do, say, rock climbs, etc, using a helical diff. They all use some form of clutch type, so that even if only 1 of the 4 wheels are on something, it still can pull forward. Same basic concept.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My racing 240Z had Quaifes and they work very well if your car is set up for them. In general you have to move roll stiffness forward and soften the back for the wheel lift reasons mentioned above. Some cars more easily adapt to that then others. If you're running droop limiters they have to be removed from the back of the car.

Most of the time when you hear someone complain about a Quaife its because they haven't taken the effort to tune their car's suspension to work with the diff. That is true of all diffs but the Quaife requires a more unique suspension setup (depending on the car) then others.

BTW... if your track driving style involves a lot of curb hopping then you better have a lot of money invested in your shocks if you're running a Quaife. Many thousands of dollars...

Last edited by betamotorsports; 12-14-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
It's very loud and obnoxious for street driving. It's inexpensive...but that's it's only strong point.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 PM
AmorZ_Fati

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reserved
The guy who works on my car (Todd at "TidewaterZ") has the Quaife and really likes it......that was pretty much my reasoning!!!!!
Any advantages to the Nismo over the Quaife?????
I <3 Todd