Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

2011 Runoffs news

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:46 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts
Default 2011 Runoffs news

Arrived today at Road America and there's already some bad news for Nissan fans. The defending GT2 Champion, Jim Goughary, was out testing his tubeframe 350Z in one of the paid test days. As he accelerated up the main straight, a slower driver juked his car towards pit lane just as Jim was making the pass. The contact threw the Z into a skid and he hit one side of the concrete wall lining the straight and then into the other side.

Bottom line was the crash resulted in a totalled car. Driver was OK, but Jim was the odds-on favorite to repeat and now he and his Z won't even make the race. Racing sucks at times...
Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

That slower driver needs to be banned for life.

Glad to hear that there were no major injuries, but it sucks that the Z33 won't be in the race.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Z-Tuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Terrible news.

Gary Stewart has been REALLY fast all year as well in his GT3 cup car.

I am sure Jim will be back better than ever next year.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:39 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

In T2, the Boss 302 Mustangs look unbeatable and hold the top two spots in qualifying. Tony Rivera in the NISMO 370Z is third, but two Porsche Carrera 996 are right behind him. There are six Z cars entered- three 370zs and 3 350Zs- from around the country. I'm right in the middle of them with a 2:38.068 in the Nissan Sport 350Z to qualify 21st with two sessions to go. All due thanks to UpRev for a great tune and additional horsepower and to BFG for letting me try their new R1-S rubber.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:50 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

At least it is Kleeman in one of the Mustangs....he qualified well in T3 as well. 3 350z's in the top 8 for T3....likely the best shot for the 350's. Hopefully Tony can scrap it up with the two 5.0's.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:34 PM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and you should be able to watch it here: http://www.speedcasttv.com/road/

and who is racing: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...60404C4158BA90

and who won: http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=718836

Last edited by laze1; 09-23-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:59 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Good news for Nissan fans. Yesterday, John Black won GT3 with a masterful race in his tubeframe 350Z. After fighting a very wet track at the start of today's T3 race, Rob Hines and Bill Steinhoff finished third and fourth on dry tires! Now that's some driving!

Tomorrow looks wet for the T2 race. Gives some inspiration to all of us 370Z and 350Z pilots.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:13 AM
racerbob4

Originally Posted by dkmura
Arrived today at Road America and there's already some bad news for Nissan fans. The defending GT2 Champion, Jim Goughary, was out testing his tubeframe 350Z in one of the paid test days. As he accelerated up the main straight, a slower driver juked his car towards pit lane just as Jim was making the pass. The contact threw the Z into a skid and he hit one side of the concrete wall lining the straight and then into the other side.

Bottom line was the crash resulted in a totalled car. Driver was OK, but Jim was the odds-on favorite to repeat and now he and his Z won't even make the race. Racing sucks at times...
Jim is a good friend of ours and I had a chance to talk to him after the accident. What happened was that Jim had finished a couple of practice laps and raised his hand to indicate to following drivers that he was going into the pit area just past turn 14, when Simon Gregg in a GT-1 Corvette hit the rear corner of the GT2 350Z and spun him into the concrete barriers. The right front corner received the most damage but the car will need at least a total front clip. There was also possible damage to the engine. There was a lot of suspension pieces either broken or severely bent and need replacing. The car will need to be put on a surface plate to see if the shock went back into the rest of the frame and if that will also need straighteneing. Jim's car is a tube frame so that makes things a little easier to make repairs but no one wants to have to ttoally rebuild the car.

We had a good race that started in a rain that eventually stopped. The 75#'s that SCCA added to the T3 350Z's didn't help at all and that may have made the difference in winning or finishing 3rd which is the best be could do. The first 3 cars were about a full minute ahead of the 4th place 350Z of Bill Steinhoff, who ran a good race and came up from a 10th place start. I don't know how anyone could see past the first row. We put on a new Nismo rear bumper and think that this helped some on the straights. We also put the car on the dyno for an hour of tuning with Uprev and found a couple of extra horses. The car that finished just ahead of us was a Honda S2000 that Rob put on the pole at Hearland Park a couple of years ago and that we developed the suspension and shocks when we had it for a year. We qualified our 350Z on new Goodyear tires all 4 days using a set of R's the first day and set them aside for the race if it was dry. The other 3 days we qualified on A's and set aside a set of them if it was a damp track. We also had a set of rains ready. All 3 sets of tires were ready with the right air pressures. Just beore the race we soffened the shocks settings but left the sway bars alone. The rain tires we used were 2 years old and I think you really needed a current year set.

This is probably the final race for the T3 class because T3 was on probation this last year and didn't make the numbers and SCCA dropped the class. Even more sad is that we had more Runoffs entries than about 1/3 rd of the other classes with 16 cars. There is a meeting of the BOD in early October and the final decision will be made then. The SCCA seems more interested in keeping cars that are 40 years old running slowely and blowing up than racing current cars that are found in you dealers showroom and on the streets and highways. (end of sermon) We can change our car back to T2 by removing some weight, removing the two restrictor plates, and buying 3 more sets of Enkei wheels that are larger than the 8 1/2 x 18 that we had to run in T3. If we do this we will sell off 3 sets of of the smaller wheels along with a lot of tires some are A's and some are R's.

Bob Hines
Old 09-26-2011, 09:08 AM
laze1

Congrats to all the Nissan racers...

I personally would love to see some EX-SCCA cars in NASA PT class...you guys would really "up the ante" for us NASA racers.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:04 PM
kfoote

Originally Posted by dkmura
In T2, the Boss 302 Mustangs look unbeatable and hold the top two spots in qualifying. Tony Rivera in the NISMO 370Z is third, but two Porsche Carrera 996 are right behind him. There are six Z cars entered- three 370zs and 3 350Zs- from around the country. I'm right in the middle of them with a 2:38.068 in the Nissan Sport 350Z to qualify 21st with two sessions to go. All due thanks to UpRev for a great tune and additional horsepower and to BFG for letting me try their new R1-S rubber.
Update here: due to the weather, Kleeman switched to the 350Z in T2, figuring it would be better in the rain than the Mustang. He had to start last as a result, and it was a very bizzarre race because of the weather changes, but after all was said and done, he finished 3rd, and was the highest finishing RWD car.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:05 PM
laze1

http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=50855

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. (Sept. 25, 2011) – Marty Grand, of Manassas Park, Va., captured his second-consecutive Touring Two title in a downpour at the 48th SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Road America. Chad Gilsinger, of Marysville, Ohio, and Brian Kleeman, of Baltimore, Md., completed the podium after many of the competitors crashed on the final lap.
The course was damp but drying at the start of the Black Magic Touring 2 race scheduled for 13 laps around the four-mile circuit. Gumout polesitter Andrew Aquilante battled intensely with Grand in his No. 32 Phoenix/Hoosier/Hawk Ford Mustang GT in the opening laps. Grand’s No. 43 AMS Performance/TRE/Hoosier/Carbotech Mitsubishi Evo IX had the advantage of all-wheel drive, while Aquilante’s Mustang had the power down the straights.

On lap six, Aquilante had pulled out a gap, and Grand fell into the grips of second-starting Tony Rivera’s No. 11 Brass Monkey Racing/Nissan/Hoosier Nissan 370Z NISMO and Jay Patel’s fourth-starting No. 12 Fall-Line/Porsche Exchange/Weathertech Porsche 996. Grand started the race on wet tires, while the others at the front of the grid were on dries.

By lap seven, rain began to fall. Mark Boden, who changed cars and started 25th in the No. 78 Fall-Line Motorsports Porsche 996 worked his way through the slippery conditions up to third, behind Aquilante and Rivera. The rain helped Grand’s resurgence, and as it began to pour and puddle, he and Boden worked past Rivera. On lap 10, Boden slid off course multiple times, and Aquilante, ahead by 12 seconds at one point, spun in turn 12 and brushed the wall.

Aquilante pitted with damage, promoting Grand to the lead and Rivera to second. Rivera skidded off, through the turn three gravel and into the tires, and was later joined by the cars of Jason Ott, Kris Von Sydow and David Muramoto. The mess brought out a full course caution and race control elected to checker the race three laps early due to the treacherous conditions.

Under caution, Grand won with a margin of victory of 1:35.754 over Gilsinger, averaging 79.614 mph.

“We watched radar so much that my buddy’s probably sick of hearing ‘What’s it say now, what’s it say now?’ And you still don’t know,” Grand said of the tire choice before the race. “It didn’t look like it was going to rain there for a while. We were guessing right up to literally the last minute, and I had to rush to get on the grid because we were trying to decide what tire to use. We guessed right and went with the Hoosier rains, and that worked out. At first the track was half wet, half dry, so Andrew and I had a great battle back and forth. Then it started drying up and I went back a little bit.

“I said to my crew, I could really use some rain right now. About that time, it started raining. So I was just trying to be patient and let the track come back to me. It feels great to get the second win in a row.”

Gilsinger, the 2010 Touring 3 National Champion, started 15th in his No. 07 BFG/HPD/H&R/Recaro/BRM Acura TX-SH AWD and survived the conditions to finish second.

“When we started the race, we went out on slicks,” Gilsinger said. “I ran the T3 race yesterday, and we had similar conditions at the beginning. We went out on rains for that race and it was the wrong call. We decided to go out on slicks, and knowing we had the all wheel drive gave a little bit more comfort.

“At the beginning, it was wet enough to where I was able to take advantage. Then it started to dry out a little bit, and our power to weight is not quite there. So we started to move a little backwards when it was drying out. I saw the rain drops on the windshield and started to get a little bit excited again, but then it downpoured and there were puddles everywhere, and that’s when it got bad for everyone. You have to work really hard to keep it on the track in those conditions.

“Turn 3 and between the Kink and Canada Corner, there was just standing water in a lot of places. Under acceleration, braking, it didn’t matter, you had no control. Especially people on slicks. There was zero grip. I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to see the checkered flag.”

Kossoff was running 10th in his No. 2 Kossof Motorsports BMW M3 when the rain came, and gained several positions each lap as cars slid off or pitted. He crossed the finish line in third place, but was penalized three positions after the race for passing under a yellow flag.

Brian Kleeman, of Baltimore, Md., started last in his No. 88 ICS Learning Group/DWW Motorsports Nissan 350Z and was elevated to third after Kossoff’s penalty to earn the Sunoco Hard Charger award.

Bill Baten, of Indianapolis, Ind., was scored in fourth on the final result in his No. 98 Hoosier/Marks ADR/VanWinkle Chevrolet Camaro. Todd Napieralski, of Chelsea, Mich., was scored in fifth in his No. 33 Total Performance Racing Chevrolet Camaro.

Aquilante earned the Hawk Fastest Race Lap with a best time of 2:38.015 (91.131 mph).

Now in its 48th year, the SCCA National Championship Runoffs annually crowns Champions in the Sports Car Club of America’s Club Racing classes. The live broadcast of all 28 National Championship races will be available throughout the weekend at www.SpeedcastTV.com/scca and later available On Demand from the same site.

Follow the action on Twitter @SCCAOfficial or the SCCA, Inc. Official Facebook page at facebook.com/sccaofficial. More information is available at www.scca.com.

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. – Results from Friday’s Black Magic Touring 2 SCCA National Championship race from Road America, with finishing position, starting position in parentheses, driver, hometown, car and laps complete.
1, (3), Marty Grand, Manassas Park, VA, Mitsubishi Evo IX, 10.
2, (15), Chad Gilsinger, Marysville, OH, Acura TL SH-AWD, 10.
3, (26), Brian Kleeman, Baltimore, MD, Nissan 350Z, 10.
4, (12), Bill Baten, Indianapolis, IN, Chevrolet Camaro, 10.
5, (11), Todd Napieralski, Chelsea, MI, Chevrolet Camaro, 10.
6, (13), Alan Kossof, Wheeling, IL, BMW M3, 10.
7, (7), Andy Wolverton, Papillion, NE, Pontiac Solstice GXP, 10.
8, (19), Richard Baldwin, Madisonville, LA, Nissan 350Z, 10.
9, (17), Bill Steinhoff, Plantation, FL, Nissan 350Z, 10.
10, (20), Randy Tauro, Hollis, NH, Nissan 350Z, 10.
11, (22), Richard Kulach, Keller, TX, Nissan 370Z, 10.
12, (9), Don Knowles, Pittsboro, NC, Pontiac Solstice GXP, 10.
13, (18), Dan Spirek, Parker, CO, BMW Z4 M Coupe, 10.
14, (24), Joey ****-DeFilippis, Fort Lee, NJ, Mitsubishi Evo MR, 10.
15, (14), Michael Pettiford, Louisville, CO, Pontiac Solstice GXP, 10.
16, (2), Tony Rivera, Missouri City, TX, Nissan 370Z NISMO, 9.
17, (1), Andrew Aquilante, Chester Springs, PA, Ford Mustang GT, 9.
18, (25), Mark Boden, Winnetka, IL, Porsche 996, 9.
19, (10), Kris Von Sydow, Barrington, IL, BMW M3, 9.
20, (6), Jason Ott, Thornton, CO, BMW Z4 M Coupe, 9.
21, (4), Jay Patel, Crown Point, IN, Porsche 996, 9.
22, (8), John Kachadurian, Chicago, IL, BMW M3, 9.
23, (16), Tim Hund, Norfolk, VA, Mitsubishi Evo, 9.
24, (21), Charlie Vehle, Washington, TX, BMW M3, 9.
25, (23), David Muramoto, Aurora, CO, Nissan 350Z, 8.
DNS, (5), Joe Koenig, Glenview, IL, Porsche 996, 0.

Time of Race: 30:08.724
Winner's average speed: 79.614 mph
Hawk Fastest race lap: #32 Andrew Aquilante 2:38.015 (91.131 mph)
Lap Leaders: 1-3, #43 Marty Grand, 4-8, #32 Andrew Aquilante, 9-10 #43 Marty Grand.
Sunoco Hard Charger: #88 Brian Kleeman
Old 09-26-2011, 03:08 PM
laze1

T3 results

http://www.scca.com/events/news.cfm?eid=3128&cid=50842

Scores First SCCA National Championship After Thrilling Touring 3 Finish
Kevin Fandozzi overcame challenging conditions to score his first SCCA National Championship in Touring 3 at Road America. Credit: Mark Weber/SCCA. Kevin Fandozzi overcame challenging conditions to score his first SCCA National Championship in Touring 3 at Road America. Credit: Mark Weber/SCCA. View Full Size

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. (September 24, 2011) - Kevin Fandozzi, of St. Joseph, Mich., started from the Gumout Pole Position and led the entire Touring 3 race at the 48th SCCA National Championship Runoffs, but he nearly saw his first National Championship gold medal get away on the final lap. Chris Puskar, of Charlotte, N.C., finished second and Rob Hines, of Arlington, Va., was third.

In a race that saw wet track conditions throughout the 13-lap distance, Fandozzi managed a reasonably comfortable lead for the first 12 laps despite running on dry tires in his No. 34 Insight Driven/Carbotech/Hoosier Chevrolet Cobalt SS. However, Puskar - who was using rain tires - closed the gap to 1.8 seconds at the stripe to begin the final lap and got all the way to Fandozzi's bumper in the 14th and final turn for the run up the long front straightaway to the checkered flag.

With seconds remaining in the race, Puskar pulled out to attempt a pass but momentarily lost traction on the wet pavement. That bobble was just enough to allow Fandozzi to get away and win by 1.278 seconds. It was Fandozzi's first National Championship and his second Runoffs medal, following a second-place run in Touring 3 last year.

"I was concerned, because if I went to, let's say, 60 percent of what I thought was a reasonable line through there, I was loose and out of control," said Fandozzi of his final-lap challenge from Puskar. "I knew he'd push me to that point, and he did. I just prayed that, as my car was drifting sideways, that when I hit the paint it wouldn't go off track. He pushed me that far. I was able to keep it on track and once I did that, I was able to just power up the hill.

"I'll be honest with you, I struggled so much out there that I can't even comprehend winning a national championship. What I just went through, every turn was, basically, you weren't sure what was going to happen, but you still had to get on that hairy edge every entry and every exit. I'm a little overwhelmed with everything, but it's great."

Puskar started 11th in the No. 26 Old Dominion Metal/Hoosier/Red Line Oil Honda S2000 and took advantage of the wet conditions to quickly work his way up to a podium spot. He worked his way to second and to within five seconds of Fandozzi on Lap 7 before a spin dropped him back to third. But he battled back once more to earn his first SCCA National Championship Runoffs medal with the second-place result. He posted the Hawk Hot Lap at 2:57.216 (81.257 mph) and also earned the Sunoco Hard Charger Award for gaining the most positions in the race.

"Kevin drove a great race," Puskar said. "If I hadn't looped it, I think I could have gotten that step. We made the right choice on tires. We went with the full rains. We had two wets on one side and two drys on the other and we were waiting, waiting, waiting until the last second and made the call. In the past, I've always made the wrong call. I've always picked the wrong tire. This was the one time that I actually made the right choice. The conditions were a little challenging. I ran here in the wet about 10 years ago and learned quite a bit then, and it's still pretty much the same. If you stay on the normal dry line, it's pretty slick.

"Honestly, the only way I would have won was if I'd drilled him and knocked him off the track, because his car is so fast on the straightaway. There was no way I was going to catch him on the straightaway. I tried to cross over on him and we did touch a little bit, but I kept on going. I had to get him back in the back section. If I was going to get any kind of a gap on him, I would have had to have gotten him back there and gotten enough of a gap that he wouldn't catch me heading towards the start/finish."

Hines came home third in the No. 44 Nissan/Goodyear/Carbotech/Red Line Nissan 350Z to score his fourth Runoffs medal and his first since a second-place performance in Touring 2 at Mid-Ohio in 2004. Hines is the 1999 Touring 2 National Champion.

"It feels good to break the dry spell," Hines said. "Of course, I wish I had been on one of the other podium steps, but it was great to be back up here on the podium.

"The really difficult part was trying to decide which tires to go out on. We had the car up on jack stands waiting until the last minute and we made the decision to go with the rains, because we believed the storm was coming from the east moving westward, which is kind of a strange weather pattern. It turns out the storm kind of blew out of the way, but I think it was the right choice because the track stayed wet the entire time. There wasn't much temperature in the track and the sun came out a little bit, but it wasn't enough to dry the track, so that was challenging. But I like racing in the rain, so that was OK."

Bill Steinhoff, of Plantation, Fla., came home fourth in the No. 87 Mangos Racing/Hoosier Nissan 350Z, and Mike Kramer, of Lewisburg, Tenn. rounded out the top five in the No. 19 BFGoodrich/Carbotech/Vette Sport/Red Line Saturn ION.

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. - Provisional Results from Friday's Touring 3 National Championship Race, part of the 48th SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Road America with finish position, starting position in parenthesis, driver, hometown, car and laps complete.

1, (1), Kevin Fandozzi, Saint Joseph, MI, Chevrolet Cobalt SS, 13.
2, (11), Chris J Puskar, Charlotte, NC, Honda S2000, 13.
3, (4), Rob Hines, Arlington, VA, Nissan 350Z, 13.
4, (10), Bill Steinhoff, Plantation, FL, Nissan 350Z, 13.
5, (7), Mike Kramer, Lewisburg, TN, Saturn ION Red Line, 13.
6, (5), Chad Gilsinger, Marysville, OH, Honda S2000 CR, 13.
7, (13), James Leithauser, Westminster, CO, BMW Z4 Coupe, 13.
8, (9), Jeremy Lucas, Delaware, OH, Honda S2000 CR, 13.
9, (3), Richard Fisher, Glencoe, IL, Volkswagen GTI, 13.
10, (6), Sage Marie, Huntington Beach, CA, Honda S2000, 13.
11, (14), Cheyne Daggett, Iowa City, IA, Ford Mustang, 13.
12, (12), Tom Wickersham, San Ramon, CA, Honda S2000 CR, 12.
13, (15), Lynne Griffiths, Menlo Park, CA, Mazda RX-8, 12.
14, (8), Frank Levinson, Kettering, OH, Honda S2000 CR, 7.
DNF, (2), Brian Kleeman, Baltimore, MD, Nissan 350Z, 2.
DNS, (16), Michael Sullivan, Oakland, CA, Honda Club Racer, 0.

Overall Time of Race: 39:27.394
Average Race Speed: 70.074 mph
Margin of Victory: 1.278 seconds
Hawk Fastest Race Lap: 2:57.216
Fastest Race Lap Average Speed: 81.257 mph
Sunoco Hard Charger: #26 Chris Puskar
Lap Leaders: #34 Kevin Fandozzi - Laps 1-13.

Last edited by laze1; 09-26-2011 at 03:12 PM.