Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Tires for the Track

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:41 PM
Rev_Night

Default Tires for the Track

Soooo, I want to start doing track racing but i dont want to keep doing it on my new Eagle GTs. I had the most fun on my last lap when i just pure didnt give a flying efff about the tires and just had fun. I assume my tires wouldnt last that long if I did that each lap and each session. But if i can do track days with these tires and still have good grip as a daily driver, please let me know

So, being that I just want to go out to the track and have fun, would I specifically need to pay for track tires? I am not buying new here, I am buy used, so some people will be selling track, others street. If i keep my daily commute and track tires seperate, then that should be at least somewhat decent, right? Obviously track tires are better for track, I am trying to figure out what my buying options are.

I just bought these tires 2 months back, so i know the street tire market. I dont know the track tire market too well. Are the same brands (michellein, toyo, goodyear, etc..) still good? What should i avoid and what should i look for?

Cliffs:
- Want tires AND rims for track only
- Read post that bigger size is better, F=265, R = 285/295. Does rim size matter?
- If kept soley for track, would street tires be ok?
- What track tire brands to avoid, go towards?
- I dont want .001s better times, i just want to bang on the drums all day
- Can i do both track days and street driving on my new Eagle GTs and expect them to last a long time?

thanks!

Last edited by Rev_Night; 09-28-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-27-2011 | 09:03 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rev_Night
Soooo, I want to start doing track racing but i dont want to keep doing it on my new Eagle GTs. I had the most fun on my last lap when i just pure didnt give a flying efff about the tires and just had fun. I assume my tires wouldnt last that long if I did that each lap and each session. But if i can do track days with these tires and still have good grip as a daily driver, please let me know

So, being that I just want to go out to the track and have fun, would I specifically need to pay for track tires? I am not buying new here, I am buy used, so some people will be selling track, others street. If i keep my daily commute and track tires seperate, then that should be at least somewhat decent, right? Obviously track tires are better for track, I am trying to figure out what my buying options are.

I just bought these tires 2 months back, so i know the street tire market. I dont know the track tire market too well. Are the same brands (michellein, toyo, goodyear, etc..) still good? What should i avoid and what should i look for?

Cliffs:
- Want tires AND rims for track only
- Read post that bigger size is better, F=265, R = 285/295. Does rim size matter?
- If kept soley for track, would street tires be ok?
- What track tire brands to avoid, go towards?
- I dont want .001s better times, i just want to bang on the drums all day

thanks!
Any budget constraints?

Do you plan on driving on them to the event, but don't mind changing them before and after each event?
Old 09-27-2011 | 09:04 PM
Legion441

If looking for used, it's good to go to your local tire changing place and tell them you need some cheap decent track tires to burn up. I usually go and tell them, "Hey, I'm looking for some semi decent tires I can burn up drifting so they need a little tread left." Usually you can pick up a decent pair for like $40-$60 from some mom-and-pop tire places.
Old 09-28-2011 | 03:53 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Stay with street tires for a while ( NT05 , RS3, Star Specs ) and pick up some dedicated track wheels
Old 09-28-2011 | 04:01 AM
RandomHer0

^^yup, you'll learn alot more too.

Since I don't have a tow rig, I still drive to and from the track and its the best feeling to just arrive and drive while all my buddies are changing tires.

Once my NT-01 become slick I'll stop street driving them.
Old 09-28-2011 | 07:52 AM
jnathan68

I agree with most of these guys with the buy high performance street tires that you daily drive and use for the track. No changing wheels when you get there. Street tire options include -

Kuhmo XS
Hankook RS3
Dunlop Direzza Star Spec
Nitto NT-05
Falken 615k
On the more expensive side is the Advan AD08 and Bridestone RE11

I run the Hankooks but from what I have heard/read, the Dunlops are probably the best all around daily driving to track back to daily driving tire.

If you are going with an r-compound that will last a while, allow you drive to and from the track, etc., the NT-01's are the recommended choice although you could also do the R888's

I keep my out on ebay and you can usually find deals on used or older production date tires (just make sure they are not too old and have been stored properly).

Just my thoughts
Old 09-28-2011 | 08:50 AM
Rev_Night

I see. I did a few sessions (total track time was 80 min) on my 2 month old Goodyear Eagle GTs. Would these tires be good enough to be on your list?
Old 09-28-2011 | 09:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

unless you're skilled enough as a driver to really make use of what an R comp can deliver, you're best bet on a street tire as mentioned - it will teach you the practical limits of the car much quicker

As for what tires make good trackworthy tires, it depends on your uses. As posted, will you be street driving and doing track days? Track only? Wheel sizes? Bigger is not automatically better. Also depends highly on what suspension setup you're running as you get into tires that are more track only.
Old 09-28-2011 | 10:16 AM
Rev_Night

I edited my OP. Can i keep doing both (street and track) for a long time with my Eagle GTs?

As for Z1 perfs post. Assuming its best (and overall cheaper) to get dedicated tires, my plan would be to cart the tires there, put them on there (impact wrench makes this easy), and take them off when i leave.

Wheel size will be whatever i can find and whatever i think is best to buy. No prefs there. My current setup is 225/245 for my street.

As for the suspension, its stock suspension with hotchkis antisway, cant remember the settings for them
Old 09-28-2011 | 10:51 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rev_Night
I edited my OP. Can i keep doing both (street and track) for a long time with my Eagle GTs?

As for Z1 perfs post. Assuming its best (and overall cheaper) to get dedicated tires, my plan would be to cart the tires there, put them on there (impact wrench makes this easy), and take them off when i leave.

Wheel size will be whatever i can find and whatever i think is best to buy. No prefs there. My current setup is 225/245 for my street.

As for the suspension, its stock suspension with hotchkis antisway, cant remember the settings for them
What wheels do you have now? You don't want to start "carting" wheels up for events. Just get a good set of tires for your current wheels or sell them and get an aftermarket set of 18" wheels that you like and put good tires on them. Be done with it - go out and enjoy the events. That's my two pennies.
Old 09-28-2011 | 11:04 AM
Rev_Night

I have 225/245 Goodyear Eagle GTs 18" bought about 2 months,500 miles, 80 track minutes ago.

My hesitation is that i have read from a few people here and a heard from a few people at the track the following phrase:

"I just bought some track tires, they ought to last me the summer or so, a few track days"

I mean really, spending a $600-800 just for tires for a few months? Thats nuts. Im not cheap, but I do want stuff to last and i am on a budget
Old 09-28-2011 | 11:14 AM
RandomHer0

I get about 2 seasons out of the NT-01, I really believe they are the best bang for buck tire.
Old 09-28-2011 | 11:17 AM
Rev_Night

2 summer seasons i assume? Are tracks open in the winter? Its about to hit fall, so being cooler the tires may last longer
Old 09-28-2011 | 11:26 AM
steidz

RS3 255/40/17. Go square all the way around and you will have a nice balanced car for $125 bucks a tire and a lot of fun.
Old 09-28-2011 | 11:45 AM
Rev_Night

125 a tire, times 4, and times 4 rims. I can deal with that cost, but how long will this last me in mileage? Now that i would have dedicated tires, i would be ***** to the wall in my braking and track times
Old 09-28-2011 | 12:03 PM
steidz

I mostly autocross and few time trials. A friend with a G tracks a lot and I think he would get 8 to 12 full days of track time out of his street tires. Track condition and driving style will play a big part on the wear.

Just go do it and see what happens, then you will know!
Old 09-28-2011 | 12:18 PM
Rev_Night

well i need to know what consitutes a full day. as in a few 20 min sessions, or 9-5 8 hours
Old 09-28-2011 | 12:22 PM
steidz

hpde 20 min sessions 3 or 4 a day.
Old 09-28-2011 | 12:23 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by steidz
RS3 255/40/17. Go square all the way around and you will have a nice balanced car for $125 bucks a tire and a lot of fun.
a square setup is neither better nor worse, and like any other mod you do, has to be balanced around the rest of the setup. Some suspension setups (and drivers) may favor a staggered setup. That's why there is no 1 right answer for this stuff, but instead, options that someone has to try to find what is the most right, for them

how you drive, and your suspension setup will also dictate tire life (not to mention, conditions of the track and what it's paved with)

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-28-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2011 | 12:25 PM
steidz

Just have to go do it and find out!

Quick Reply: Tires for the Track