Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Brian Peters STR 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 AM
SnoXRacer183

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Peters STR 350Z

Anyone know where I could find more information on the car/build of the STR 350Z that Brian Peters has used to win 2 National SCCA autox's so far this year?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 AM
ProPartsUSA
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SnoXRacer183
Anyone know where I could find more information on the car/build of the STR 350Z that Brian Peters has used to win 2 National SCCA autox's so far this year?
We can only vouch for the shocks equipped on Brian's car, which are ProParts USA custom built/valved Koni 2812's and our custom pillow ball mounts.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I just want to know if would like another tire warmer.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:08 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I know his set-up, but I don't want to comment unless he wants that info out there. It's very similar to my BSP car set-up when in asphalt trim, and softer than when I run on concrete.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:01 PM
steidz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in for info.
Keeping my car within the STR rules,
Ohlin DFV's, ES bushings, Kinetix A arm(I think its legal, others maybe not),
just the stock VLSD,

I am interested right now on the ride heights, Ohlin recommends a 20mm drop from stock. Does anyone find a benefit to going lower or is that the sweet spot.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:21 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

The only two kinetix a-arms (earlier revision) would only be legal if you replaced the included bushings. The metal sleeves were thicker than factory. You can replace them with derlin, but you can't offset the bushings...they must be centered. I use derlin offset bushings in the factory arms. That plus ride height gets you around -2.7 or so up front.

Get rid of the VLSD as quickly as you can....it is utter garbage. Brian has a quaife (it came with the car), but I'm not a fan of torsens.

Ride height will depend on a number of things, but I can tell you that a slightly higher ride height in the back (rake) works better in BSP trim. That said, I would imagine it may be reversed in STR trim.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:49 PM
steidz

Thanks,

The diff is next on the list.

My view for argument sake with the bushings. Rules say that the proportion of metal to rubber must be the same. Looking at my stock A arm bushing, there is not really much rubber in there, its even concave into the side of the arm housing, Yes the kinetix does have a larger bushing but it also has more rubber, especially if you count the "ears" on the side of bushing. Just a view point and I guess i'll worry about it if I venture out from the local autocrosses.

The Ohlns are new and since I can now move something just trying to figure out how not to screw it up. Earlier setup was koni's SA with sportines running on the higher spring notch and spacers to bring up the rear. Rake was about 10-15mm higher in the rear with those. Do you feel the higher ride height in the rear helps with rotation?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:10 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Yes, but the stagger on my car is only about .3-.4" higher in the back.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:25 PM
steidz

Thanks for sharing your info, It gives me a place to start.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Slaloms

I'll be happy to share info on my setup. Hopefully more people will build and bring their Z's out to events.

Mike was a big help getting in pointing me in the right direction for spring rates early on, based on what he'd been running in BSP (thanks!). I've played around with a lot of rates and think I'll end up going higher then where I'm at. Build is a constant progression and still has a lot of work left in it. That said, I've driven all the STR offerings out there and the 350Z is always the most fun, IMO.

Current setup:
ProParts USA custom Koni 2812's (*magical* shocks)
ProParts USA custom top mounts
1000/850 spring rates
Hotchkis adj front bar (older design)/Whiteline adj rear (site dependent)
Quaife LSD
Kinetix front upper arms (modified)
Megan Racing rear spring perches
UpRev Osiris
Berk HFC's
B-Line catback
Airaid panel filter
StopTech pads

That's about it. Lot's of tuning and tweaking so far, with a lot still to go. I've been running 245-18 BFG Rivals and 255-17 Dunlop ZII's thus far and the tires seem very site dependent. Was surprised to find the Dunlops working better in Lincoln. RS-3's will be next to test.

BTW, I've given ProParts permission to share my valving info if anybody else is interested in having some incredible shocks built. I'm confident they could even work some magic up with Sports/Yellows for those on a budget. I couldn't believe how much better my car rode over stock on the initial 2812+800/600 setup.

Mike, regarding the Kinetix arms, my math shows the latest versions are legal based on metal content as well as % vs stock. Additionally, I have personal issues with the metal content rule in poly applications given that delrin is ultimately allowed. There is massive compliance difference between poly and delrin. Delrin has a place in SP, but not in ST...IMO.

The car's been a blast and I can only hope more are inspired to build and run their 350Z's. I don't get on this forum too often, but would be happy to answer any additional questions.

Car made about 250whp on a Dynodynamics dyno. If anybody has recommendations on more power, I'm all ears. As it is, I'm barely pulling on the tuned AP2's at the Pro's. Research suggests header gains are minimal, as are intake options.

Brian
Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 AM
steidz

Brain thanks for sharing,

My car has been a very slow build but a lot of fun in the class. As its sits now I do preety good until I hit the guys with well prepped and driven cars. New Ohlins on the car but those spring rate are much softer than yours.

Still needs a LSD, Cats and a tune. It looks like headers on the DE benefit the mid range only and then maybe 10hp on the curve. Its hard to find much hard data.

I am running the 255/17 RS3, tire pressures have been as low as 30 to high of 40. Over all times seem close but tires warm a little faster with the lower temps.

+1 on the Kinetix's and I too agree about the bushings. I feel it goes against the ST concept to have to make your bushing to be legal. I understand what they want to avoid but the rule created other issues. I guess I need to stop whining and start writing.

I asked Mike about ride heights, with the new shocks I now have a new setting to play with. My front lower control arm sits with the inner bolt about 5mm lower than the center of the outer ball joint housing. The rear fender height sits 10mm higher than the front on equal size tires. I realize much is dependent on other things but if you have any input that would be great.

Congrats on the tour win. I was going to keep the car in STR trim even if it wasent competitive. Now I know its mostly me.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:11 AM
ROCA Z

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Yes, but the stagger on my car is only about .3-.4" higher in the back.

what size tires are you running?
edit: and wheel size?
thanks

Roca.

Last edited by ROCA Z; 06-11-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

18x11/18x12 with 315 A6's on all 4. May play around with a 12 up front as well. It will take some work to get these to fit if you are wanting to run something that size. It's SP, though, and if you aren't rubbing the tires, etc....you aren't trying hard enough .

I have played around with springs up 1200/1100 on the Z, but for me it was faster a little bit softer. It is certainly not as "easy" to drive with that much spring. I don't have the raw skill that Brian has...so I need the car to be a little less on the edge. I also had a lot of problems getting the car to work on cold tires (again not a street tire car) with the higher rates. As it is, on sealed asphalt I have gone all the way down to 900/750 with just a front bar. I have always been faster in the Z without a rear bar. I know Brian prefers having a rear bar on. You'll just have to play around with it and see what works. It is pretty easy to get the Z 85-90% there with just the stuff Brian listed, but the final 10-15% will depend on tire choice, weather, pavement type, and driving style. There is no cookie cutter national championship winning set-up, unfortunately.

Brian, have you had your car on the scales recently? Curious to know what your current weight is.

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 06-11-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:58 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

As far as STR weight, I would have to think that an 03-04 car maxed out on prep will get into the 2900's....2970-2990 as a guess. My BSP car on STR sized wheel/tires would dip into the 2800's. As it is, it sits at around 2915 +/-7 depending on fuel. In terms of power...I don't have an SP built motor, custom plenum/ITB's, or E85. The later two will done before the Toledo Pro at the end of July. The front aero will also be on by then. Unfortunately the car was broken last weekend and Lee Piccione was nice enough to let me drive his M3 at the DC Pro.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 AM
SnoXRacer183

Thanks so much for sharing Brian!

I ran my completely stock, 90k mile original shocks, '03 at the end of the year last year in the Milwaukee Region after I sold my National Championship winning RTA WRX. Only STR thing I had on the car was my season old 255 RS3 off my RTA WRX and put them on 17x9 wheels. After learning to drive the car more I was actually starting to gain some ground to the point I thought...hey this STR 350Z thing might be possible. When I saw your results the other week I got really excited. Now to save up for parts for next year
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Slaloms

I'm still at about 3100lbs. Ride height/rake will be a function of too many variables to suggest raw numbers IMO. I'll get my ride height info up later. Note that I never corner balance my cars and often play with rake depending on car behavior.

Order of importance IMO:
Tires
Real LSD
Shocks (most aftermarket stuff will become a limiter, rather than improvement)
Front camber

Get those done and then car will pick up solid speed. From there it's a matter of significant system tuning.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Johnz36

Thank you Brian for releasing your valving info I am in the process of getting some shocks from pro parts. I am currently building my 350z for STR. Any other info you could share would be great.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Johnz36

Ok I am going to go with the koni sports revalved from Pro Parts USA. Does anyone have any recommendations on springs and spring rates for the koni shocks?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:04 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

If you can spare the expense, I would recommend going with the mono koni over the revalved sports. I had a few people revalve and rebuild twin tube koni's for the car and was never remotely happy with them. I especially recommend this if you plan to drive the car on the street regularly.

This wraps into the next question....are you at the level (and this isn't a slight to you) where you need a no compromise set-up. What I mean by that, do you want a set-up that is ready to win Nationals?

I ran 750/600 with 255 Z1's for a few events a couple years back on twin tube Konis (custom valving), and it worked ok. I would probably have bumped them closer to Brian's rates if STR were a focus. I just did it to see how the car would do.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:07 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Also, sadly, unlike s2k's, etc....there is no wealth of information for STR/BSP for set-up. As I said, no cookie cutter set-ups to get you going like s2k's (although that isn't all that true either). I was really the only person campaigning a 350z nationally outside of CS last year. I just relayed to Brian what my softest BSP set-up was when he called me about the STR project. While it was a bit of start, he has done a fair amount of tweaking and playing around with it to get it to really dance on the street tires.

Quick Reply: Brian Peters STR 350Z