Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

New/Better Wheel Option for Spec Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 PM
B Esquire

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New/Better Wheel Option for Spec Z

Hey Spec Z people! I am working with a wheel manufacturer to get a perfect fitment wheel available for Spec Z. I built a car recently for a customer and had to buy special custom ordered hub centric 20mm spacers to get the current Enkei RPF1's to fit right. The off the shelf spacers normally sold with them are hub centric to the car but not to the wheel which kinda defeats the purpose. I hate running spacers or lame plastic rings so I wanted a better option.

Anyway, since I see no reason to run 10's in the rear, at least not enough to kill the convenience and cost effectiveness of running a completely square setup and being able to rotate tires front to back, the wheel would be...

18x9" Hubcentric, +15 offest (no spacers!), wide bolt whole bore for quick changes in enduro's, and cost would be on par with what we are paying for Enkei's.

So who would be interested?
Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Waco Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much do they weigh?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 AM
2000atlanticgt

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder why most don't run Enkei RP03 18x9, +18, no spacers required, you do need the huncentric rings though. 18.3lbs/ea. I run them on my car a really like them.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM
B Esquire

Can't say on the weight until we get the exact specs on the wheel but it will be competitive with the Enkei.

Hub rings are not an option in my opinion for a proper racecar application.

It also sounds like 9.5" might be allowed up front next year, in which case we would go that route for a perfect fit square setup.

Last edited by B Esquire; 12-04-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:16 PM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B Esquire

It also sounds like 9.5" might be allowed up front next year, in which case we would go that route for a perfect fit square setup.
Honestly, that would be such a no-brainer!!!! Just make 18x9.5 RPF-1's legal for F&R. That would be the most functional and inexpensive route for everybody.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:50 AM
B Esquire

Originally Posted by reserved
Honestly, that would be such a no-brainer!!!! Just make 18x9.5 RPF-1's legal for F&R. That would be the most functional and inexpensive route for everybody.
Except you would still need hub rings... lame.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:47 PM
reserved

Except you would still need hub rings... lame.
Why? Am I missing something?
Old 12-06-2013, 03:46 PM
azuress

Default Need wheels for Spec Z

I am building a Spec Z car in Carolina and am looking for wheels. The Spec Z rules specify:

The 275/35R18 BFGoodrich g-Force™ R1™ tire is the specified tire for the series.

I was surprised to see such a wide tire specified for a 9" front rim. I would expect a little stiffer 275 on a 10", but wonder how much difference 9" v. 10" makes where both are running a 275.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM
B Esquire

Why? Am I missing something?
Because the RPF1's are NOT hubcentric, meaning they center themselves on the studs instead of the hub like they should. This will cause broken studs in the long term. The cheap solution is to buy the hub rigs that make up that gap. The down side to hub rings is they can fall off, get stuck, etc. The right way to do it for a racecar is to have your wheels fit properly with no spacers or rings, which is what I am currently working on for the spec Z racers.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:57 AM
reserved

Because the RPF1's are NOT hubcentric, meaning they center themselves on the studs instead of the hub like they should. This will cause broken studs in the long term. The cheap solution is to buy the hub rigs that make up that gap. The down side to hub rings is they can fall off, get stuck, etc. The right way to do it for a racecar is to have your wheels fit properly with no spacers or rings, which is what I am currently working on for the spec Z racers.
Interesting! I think there are a lot of us out there tracking RPF1's. I've not heard of anyone breaking an ARP stud, not to say it hasn't happened. Mine are a few years old now. Maybe time to replace them!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Plastic hub rings, destroyed 2 sets in 6 years. Not bad for $7 a set at my Local discount tire.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:27 AM
sig11

I got a set of aluminum hub rings with my Volks. They can be a pain in the *** to remove from the hub but haven't had any problems otherwise.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 PM
B Esquire

Interesting! I think there are a lot of us out there tracking RPF1's. I've not heard of anyone breaking an ARP stud, not to say it hasn't happened. Mine are a few years old now. Maybe time to replace them!!!!!!!
Yeah it depends a lot on type of tire and abuse. We broke multiple ARP studs in Grand Am, it will happen eventually.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:05 AM
B Esquire

Ok, since NASA has released the 2014 rules stating 10" wheels will be allowed up front, that is what I want to spec out for this Spec Z perfect fitment wheel.

Again it will be 18x10", no hub rings or spacers required. Who is interested? Send me a PM with your email so I can send out more details and we can see about getting a group buy going!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 PM
dtracing

+1 .