Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

First Nurburgring day for 350z... Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 09:03 AM
Rajtastic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Nurburgring day for 350z... Upgrades?

Hi guys,

My first Nurburgring (Nordschleife) day coming up on a new 350z GT (UK car which comes with brembo brakes). It would be a private trackday - just want to push the car a bit.

I've done the ring a couple of times before and plan on doing 2-3 laps at a time of possible (Inc WU + CD laps).

Wondering what upgrades I would really need.

I know upgrading all fluids + brake pads will be needed but wondering if anything else required?

I plan on selling the car potentially in 6 months or so so nothing too aggressive...

Appreciate your thoughts?
Old 01-01-2018, 09:33 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

If you're selling the Z later this year, I'd say just check the thickness of your rotors as well. Lose 3 mm and those rotors are done- may as well replace them before they warp. Otherwise, swaybars would be a nice upgrade if you want to dial out some understeer.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Rajtastic

Originally Posted by Rajtastic
Hi guys,

My first Nurburgring (Nordschleife) day coming up on a new 350z GT (UK car which comes with brembo brakes). It would be a private trackday - just want to push the car a bit.

I've done the ring a couple of times before and plan on doing 2-3 laps at a time of possible (Inc WU + CD laps).

Wondering what upgrades I would really need.

I know upgrading all fluids + brake pads will be needed but wondering if anything else required?

I plan on selling the car potentially in 6 months or so so nothing too aggressive...

Appreciate your thoughts?
Originally Posted by dkmura
If you're selling the Z later this year, I'd say just check the thickness of your rotors as well. Lose 3 mm and those rotors are done- may as well replace them before they warp. Otherwise, swaybars would be a nice upgrade if you want to dial out some understeer.
Thanks for the quick reply. Will look into that. Do you think the brembos will be okay? 20km per lap here so could get hot...
Old 01-01-2018, 01:27 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Rajtastic
Thanks for the quick reply. Will look into that. Do you think the brembos will be okay? 20km per lap here so could get hot...
You'll need pads with the right racing compound. For racing I use Cobalt Friction XR-2 Brembo pads and ventilation from the bumper to the front rotors (below).

Old 01-02-2018, 08:11 AM
GT4Zed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ring

Hi Raj, i take it you are based in the UK just like myself and your car is a stock GT DE with Rays and Brembo.
For a one off Ring track event and with pending sale it comes down to what you want the trackday to be and what your budget is. What kind of event is this? Private day, open pitlane trackday(eg like organised by Circuit days or Destination Nurburgring etc) or tourist day?

-Brakes:
Like DKmura suggested check your rotors. Get new rotors if they are done and better pads while you are there. No need to go full race compound. Ferodo DS2500 or equivalent will be fine for 2 hot laps on the Ring.
Refresh brake fluid with Motul RBF 660 fluid +/- ss lines based on your budget.

-Service:
Get a full service if its due or close especially as your event is likely to be in spring or early summer.

-Tyres:
decent UHP tyres especially if you have some budget or almost done tyres( Michelin pilot super sports get my vote always but other UHP tyres should be ok)
-Suspension:
Get the full suspension a good checkover for any worn bushes, failed ball joints or wheel bearing etc and replace with OEM. No need to go crazy as you are selling the car soon.
- Alignment:
Get alignment/geometry done though you will be limited by the stock suspension but you can still get a decent setup with it. I've not been stock for about 8yrs but aim for the max camber up front(~1.5max), 1/8 toe out, similar camber rear or 0.3-0.5deg less on rear compared to front and 1/8th toe in.
-Miscellaneous:
If you really wanted to change something on the car to improve your day then I'll invest on a kinetix FUCA for more camber up front and andjustable ARBs. This is assuming you have done all the above. Ive got a set of Nismo ARBs which have just been repowdercoated if you are interested.
I've done just over 1K Ring laps in the last 9-10yrs majority with my Z so I can assure you that the stock zed is very capable on the track and if you need more pointers feel free to get in touch. Pm you me your details.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:31 AM
Rajtastic

Originally Posted by GT4Zed
Hi Raj, i take it you are based in the UK just like myself and your car is a stock GT DE with Rays and Brembo.
For a one off Ring track event and with pending sale it comes down to what you want the trackday to be and what your budget is. What kind of event is this? Private day, open pitlane trackday(eg like organised by Circuit days or Destination Nurburgring etc) or tourist day?

-Brakes:
Like DKmura suggested check your rotors. Get new rotors if they are done and better pads while you are there. No need to go full race compound. Ferodo DS2500 or equivalent will be fine for 2 hot laps on the Ring.
Refresh brake fluid with Motul RBF 660 fluid +/- ss lines based on your budget.

-Service:
Get a full service if its due or close especially as your event is likely to be in spring or early summer.

-Tyres:
decent UHP tyres especially if you have some budget or almost done tyres( Michelin pilot super sports get my vote always but other UHP tyres should be ok)
-Suspension:
Get the full suspension a good checkover for any worn bushes, failed ball joints or wheel bearing etc and replace with OEM. No need to go crazy as you are selling the car soon.
- Alignment:
Get alignment/geometry done though you will be limited by the stock suspension but you can still get a decent setup with it. I've not been stock for about 8yrs but aim for the max camber up front(~1.5max), 1/8 toe out, similar camber rear or 0.3-0.5deg less on rear compared to front and 1/8th toe in.
-Miscellaneous:
If you really wanted to change something on the car to improve your day then I'll invest on a kinetix FUCA for more camber up front and andjustable ARBs. This is assuming you have done all the above. Ive got a set of Nismo ARBs which have just been repowdercoated if you are interested.
I've done just over 1K Ring laps in the last 9-10yrs majority with my Z so I can assure you that the stock zed is very capable on the track and if you need more pointers feel free to get in touch. Pm you me your details.
Thanks very much both for your replies - much appreciated. I'll be doing a circuit days private day.

Your information is very comprehensive and exactly what I needed.

great picture btw!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:06 AM
GT4Zed

You are welcome bud! I'll most likely be attending the Circuit day in April too with my R35 or sharing my mates 996 GT3 so will see you and give you some passenger laps. But if i can get the Z ready by then i will be in 7th heaven as i always built it as a Ring. Way more rewarding than my GTR by far.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:16 PM
Rajtastic

You are welcome bud! I'll most likely be attending the Circuit day in April too with my R35 or sharing my mates 996 GT3 so will see you and give you some passenger laps. But if i can get the Z ready by then i will be in 7th heaven as i always built it as a Ring. Way more rewarding than my GTR by far.
Nice, I'm sure the GTR is a beast around there with 4WD!

Great! We're toying with going either apr/Oct (circuit days) or maybe July for a better chance of weather.

We went Oct last year and got lucky with the weather. Did you go?
Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 AM
GT4Zed

I've never done a trackday with Circuit days before so this would be my first. Ive done a few DN days with friends. I like the TF and while it can be busy, lots of cosures due to crashes, thats what makes it thrilling IMO. I also tend to go for 3days typically so i got enough time to get my laps in. Weather should be ok..

Last edited by GT4Zed; 01-04-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:34 PM
Rajtastic

Update to this thread:

- I'm ordering EBC yellowstuff (unfortunately the Ferodo DS2500 aren't road legal in the UK due to some EU regulation (ECE R90) which is annoying but apparently they're fine

- Replacing brake fluids with Motul RBF 660 fluid

- Getting a full service with alignment shortly

Annoyingly, car insurance is a lot pricier when I do anything of sort of 'mod' to the car so going to take the car to some days before the 'ring and see what upgrades would be worth it.

Very tempted by the <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but heard good things about the <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. I'd really need to drive with the tyres already fitted to the 'ring so can't afford to get something like the Toyos as apparently not too good in damp/the wet.

Cheers!
Old 01-14-2018, 02:03 AM
GT4Zed

Not sure where you got the stuff about Ferodo DS2500 not being road legal. I've ran all sorts of race pads and wouldn't even class ferodo DS2500 amongst them. I would not touch the EBC with a badge pole and if you really are on a budget i will go with the blue stuff. But there are so many better pads at dimilar price point. I sent you my details and got your pm so give me a shout i can help.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:44 AM
Rajtastic

Not sure where you got the stuff about Ferodo DS2500 not being road legal. I've ran all sorts of race pads and wouldn't even class ferodo DS2500 amongst them. I would not touch the EBC with a badge pole and if you really are on a budget i will go with the blue stuff. But there are so many better pads at dimilar price point. I sent you my details and got your pm so give me a shout i can help.
Cheers for that. Got your message but replying here for the benefit of the thread. I might give you a shout but I think I'm okay for now - appreciated though.

I've done some more research and the ds2500 are not road legal because they don't meet r90 regulation. I've chatted to my friends though and it seems everyone runs them banking that nobody will check or be able to tell they're ds2500. I checked the ds2000 (Ds performance) which are r90 approved but the ds2500 seem better and safer (even if not legal).

I'll get the ds2500s then instead so thanks for the advice.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:18 PM
stein350z

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the Green Hell is Dangerous...but you will love it!

pay attention is not easy like it seems on video or similar...
(just for info EVERY day happens a lot of crashes...someone is for stupid driver but a lot of people there can really drive hard and is not enough)

some pix from 2014 experience

Old 01-15-2018, 01:45 AM
Rajtastic

Originally Posted by stein350z
the Green Hell is Dangerous...but you will love it!

pay attention is not easy like it seems on video or similar...
(just for info EVERY day happens a lot of crashes...someone is for stupid driver but a lot of people there can really drive hard and is not enough)

some pix from 2014 experience

V nice looking - just like mine! What year is that? Mine's the DE rev-up (06).

Yeah, I've been a couple of times but rented the Suzuki Swift with rollcage + endless brakes from rent4ring. I'm prob going to leave traction control on in the 350z - crazy torque!
Old 01-15-2018, 05:11 AM
stein350z

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanx is a de 2005
with some mods
Old 01-15-2018, 06:56 AM
Rajtastic

Originally Posted by stein350z
thanx is a de 2005
with some mods
Great looking thing! Wish I could do more mods but insurance gets a bit out of hand! I was thinking of getting some Eibach springs since coilovers could get expensive. Will need to look into insurance though.

What you done to it?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:20 AM
GodISmE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't want to mod the car I would just get a set of good semislick tires (even used r888 or similar) and get a proper allignment done - front camber as much as you can with OEM parts and rear camber at around 68% of that. Toe setting can stay within the stock range although I would go with 0 to -0,05 front toe out to help with oversteer.
Remove the yaw sensor if you fell confident and know the Ring.

Enjoy! I'll be attacking <8:00 BTG this year

Last edited by GodISmE; 01-29-2018 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
terrasmak (01-28-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:27 AM
Rajtastic

Smile

Originally Posted by GodISmE
If you don't want to mod the car I would just get a set of good semislick tires (even used r888 or similar) and get a proper allignment done - front camber as much as you can with OEM parts and rear camber at around 68% of that. Toe setting can stay within the stock range although I would go with 0 to -0,05 front toe out to help with oversteer.
Remove the yaw sensor if you fell confident and know the Ring.

Enjoy! I'll be attacking <8:00 BTG this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgCehz92cY&t=50s
Hey GodISmE,

Sorry for the delay - I was having issues with logging in. Thanks for the advice. Do you think I should keep the r888 only for track use (I know they have that noisy whirring noise all of the time!)? I live in a 1st floor flat so I'm flipping between trying to store some wheels + tyres at a friends and fit for track vs getting some kind of compromise tyre which would be good for all conditions (inc track).

I don't do many miles per year as it's just a recreational car.

I wonder how much a spare set of wheels would cost...

BTW your video is one of the best 'ring videos I've seen! Really nice!