Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Lap belt and antisub belts anchors

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:49 AM
fflipski

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Lap belt and antisub belts anchors

Could someone can show me some pics of anchors for both set of lap and anti-sub anchor points. Before I drill into the floor some more? Thank you. I have a 6 point harness and a Kirk roll bar. ( Sparco evo2 + buddy club rails).
Old 01-28-2019, 04:24 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Not my area of expertise, although I will say you might want to have the floor contacts welded in with a large gauge plate, rather than simply bolted. GL!
Old 01-28-2019, 05:38 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Been a while since I've installed harnesses so going to pass on direct advice (because how we installed them on our race cars back in the day, wellllllll, going to guess that the angle iron from an old bed frame (used to reinforce the eyelet belt anchors under the floor ) probably won't pass tech nowadays, even though it probably still works, laff.....).

Would highly suggest you pick up/download the SCCA Competition Rule book (or NASA or whichever sanctioning body you intend to race in) and make notes from their safety equipment sections regarding proper harness anchoring. That includes not only the proper hardware and anchoring points but also the correct/legal belt angles and so forth.
The following users liked this post:
fflipski (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 05:41 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

I don't have any pictures of my seatbelt installation in my race Z, but it's important to convey a couple of ideas. First, the lap belts need the strongest and best positioned anchors to hold the central part of your torso in place. Those anchors already exist and use big, grade 8 bolts to hold the OEM 3-point harness in place. I use stacked washers around the lap belt anchors to allow the bolt to swivel slightly. Read this link to make sure the mounting angles you are using are within limits:

https://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-con...2006-05-12.pdf
The following users liked this post:
fflipski (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 02:44 AM
fflipski

Originally Posted by dkmura
Read this link to make sure the mounting angles you are using are within limits
Thanks a lot for the link. This is what I was looking for to begin with.

I was wondering if someone actually fabricated a brackets for the mount to install the belts and securing it onto the seat base or directly on the seat base bolts. I am short and the lap belts will have too much of an angle if I use the oem seat belt locations. Some Porsche seat base incorporate the belt anchors into the seat base. I was wondering if something exists for the 350z or I might fabricate something similar.

I will not be racing, time trials only. This is still a street legal vehicle ( well for now at least ) and the scca rules are more relaxed than full on race car. Just trying to be as safe as possible.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:47 AM
fflipski

Originally Posted by jhc
Not my area of expertise, although I will say you might want to have the floor contacts welded in with a large gauge plate, rather than simply bolted. GL!
I was more thinking of a 3/16th sandwich plate type of anchor if I drill thru. I need to find a good welder around as the steel is pretty thin around that area.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:32 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Unfortunately, if the worst happens, you'll need the same level of protection as a full road race car. Not saying that will happen, but it's worth making sure your belt installation won't injure you or fail in an accident. I liked the fact that the OEM lap belt mounting location was already reinforced and properly threaded. The mounting angles for my MOMO race seat were acceptable and kept the belt length short (always a desirable feature).

As for the sub belt, I used a reinforced plate mounted behind one of the floor struts. Nothing too exotic, as all the belts need to be replaced every five years per SCCA rules. How are you mounting the shoulder straps? Do you have a HANS device to use?
Old 01-30-2019, 04:14 PM
fflipski

Originally Posted by dkmura
How are you mounting the shoulder straps? Do you have a HANS device to use?
I have a kirk racing competition roll bar with a harness. the shoulder belts form the perfect angle so I don't worry about them. SCCA rules say that belts are not subject to date limit for time trials for category 2 safety cars. they just need to be in great shape. I just bought some sparco 6pt harness with camlock that were never used/installed so they are brand new but 4 years old. Still 1 year left.

For the belt, the rules say they have to go thru the thru-holes freely. if I attached them to the seat belt mounts, they will form an angle at the seat opening which seems to be a no-no. I understand your concern on the belt mounting points. I am trying to find out what others have done that would be as strong as those mounts.

Edit: Hans devices are very limited on the used market. I have yet to find a good one at a great price. Even an expired one.

Remember, this is not a RACE car, just planning for solo/Time Trials, but right now it is just a HPDE since it doesn't have a logbook as of yet.

Last edited by fflipski; 01-30-2019 at 04:16 PM. Reason: forgot 1 answer
Old 01-31-2019, 03:31 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

The area in the floor where the sub belts should mount per regulation angle is thin as you mentioned and definitely needs to be reinforced, imo. If you just use reinforcement plates in those locations youll pass tech, but it is not ideal.

Since the stock lap belt mounting point doesnt work for you, I think you should take it to a fabricator. There are inherent drawbacks to the easier solutions, and I bet you can get it all done for not much more than the cost of a seat base if you find the right person.