Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Calm before the storm- 350Z racing 2019

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 08:01 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

It's time to head off to High Plains Raceway (HPR) for the SCCA Last Chance Majors this weekend. The repairs have been long and extensive, but are as complete as this T1 Z wrench could make them. The BFG R1-S 275-40-18 race tires are used, with multiple heat cycles on both the primary and backup sets. Opposition looks to be formidable, with pro-built Mustang Boss 302 and Corvette C6 Gran Sport to contend with. HPR is a twisting, 13-turn circuit with significant elevation changes that give torquey V8s a big advantage. Together with two straights long enough for them to reach 140 MPH (best I've seen in the Z is 124 MPH on fresh tires) and it means my strategy will be to keep the pressure on and hope for a mechanical or driving issue. There'll be plenty of other classes racing in the group I'm in, and it's sure to be a tough weekend!

BTW- while I've indulged myself this year by racing WAY above my head in T1, and HPR will qualify me for the Virginia International Raceway (VIR) Runoffs, I'm not planning to enter. The Z simply doesn't have the power-to-weight ratio to match the Vettes, Mustangs, V8 BMWs, Porsches, Ferraris and whatever else is entered. After exploring renting a T1 car (big $$$$), there's no way to practically afford an entry. But I still plan to go and attend the VIR Runoffs as a spectator, so anybody else interested?
The following users liked this post:
g356sp (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:58 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,261 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
It's time to head off to High Plains Raceway (HPR) for the SCCA Last Chance Majors this weekend. The repairs have been long and extensive, but are as complete as this T1 Z wrench could make them. The BFG R1-S 275-40-18 race tires are used, with multiple heat cycles on both the primary and backup sets. Opposition looks to be formidable, with pro-built Mustang Boss 302 and Corvette C6 Gran Sport to contend with. HPR is a twisting, 13-turn circuit with significant elevation changes that give torquey V8s a big advantage. Together with two straights long enough for them to reach 140 MPH (best I've seen in the Z is 124 MPH on fresh tires) and it means my strategy will be to keep the pressure on and hope for a mechanical or driving issue. There'll be plenty of other classes racing in the group I'm in, and it's sure to be a tough weekend!

BTW- while I've indulged myself this year by racing WAY above my head in T1, and HPR will qualify me for the Virginia International Raceway (VIR) Runoffs, I'm not planning to enter. The Z simply doesn't have the power-to-weight ratio to match the Vettes, Mustangs, V8 BMWs, Porsches, Ferraris and whatever else is entered. After exploring renting a T1 car (big $$$$), there's no way to practically afford an entry. But I still plan to go and attend the VIR Runoffs as a spectator, so anybody else interested?
Good luck just the same, bud! As mentioned on that "other" 350Z forum, the fact that you are running and placing regionally #2 in a distinctly disadvantaged car in a class of V8 not-quite-supercars-but-faster-than-a-Z33 rides is commendable and as mentioned, awesome!! Not going to race at the Runoffs? I get that. Distance, tow hassle, "uncompetitive" car (vis a vis Phoenix Motorsports arrive n' drive "amateur racers"...right....) does make it not such a welcoming event all the way out at VIR.

But again, good luck this weekend!!
Old 08-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Young Wonder

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

VIR is about 2 hours from me. When is the event? I could possibly drop in. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2019, 01:39 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

October 8-13

https://www.scca.com/events/1992861-...onship-runoffs
Old 08-26-2019, 08:27 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Last Chance Majors race report: when wrong makes right. This past weekend was a struggle to say the least. From the moment I unloaded the Z until the time I drove it back into the trailer, nothing seemed to go right. Still battled ABS issues and simply learned to drive around them. Found most of my BFG R1-S were so used up that lateral grip and braking distances were compromised. Lived by the 'slow in; fast out' mantra and tried to blend as much smoothness as possible into it as well. Lots of fast cars in the big bore closed wheel group, with Porsche GT3s, tubeframe BMW and Chevy, M3 V8s, Cayman T2, A Sedan Mustang and Firebird, etc. I learned my T1 opposition in the Boss 302 Mustang had last raced the car in the TransAm series at Watkins Glen (TA4 class) and was so much faster in the Saturday race that he lapped me.

Sound like fun?

Taking any ego out of it, I focused on putting my best foot forward for Sunday's Majors race. First thing I noticed was the butterscrotch Mustang was no longer in the paddock. Maybe he was bored with the competition or had a car problem, but he'd apparently packed up and left overnight. Maybe it was the weather, temps for the Sunday race was forecast to be near 100 degree F. The starts on both days were scintillating; with the field pulling away while my right foot was fully planted on the loud pedal! Now the VQ was running well, but the V8 and turbo roar from up ahead was audible inside the cockpit. The Z still had a race to run and I wanted to earn that victory. I was still behind a Mustang, except the one ahead was an A-sedan classed entry that I raced before at Gateway earlier in April. Man, was it hot! It took a toll on both the Mustang and Firebird that I ended up passing before the end of the race.

Yeah, I might have been the only T1 car in that race, but I WON A-sedan that day. I was too tired to take a victory lap, and the Z was heat soaked, but that was still a satisfying and FUN race!
Old 08-26-2019, 09:34 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Yeah, I might have been the only T1 car in that race, but I WON A-sedan that day. I was too tired to take a victory lap, and the Z was heat soaked, but that was still a satisfying and FUN race!
Great job REPRESENTING, David!!! You make us proud and earned your manju!! <Hint hint>
Old 08-27-2019, 05:18 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Great job REPRESENTING, David!!! You make us proud and earned your manju!! <Hint hint>
Thanks, Mic- over the years, I think I'm the only SCCA racer dumb enough to enter a Z in Touring 1. That's running with the big dogs and a manju bonus is much appreciated! LOL
Old 08-27-2019, 07:38 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks, Mic- over the years, I think I'm the only SCCA racer dumb enough to enter a Z in Touring 1. That's running with the big dogs and a manju bonus is much appreciated! LOL
It'll be a few days on the manju but hang tight and don't get your taste buds in a tizzy thinking about it. Hahahaha.

But yeah, running any car in a class it's forcibly made noncompetitive by Denver shows true dedication to the car and the love of the sport. (Sorry, I still refer to SCCA HQ as Denver since that's where it was when I had to "OBEY". ) ) There's nothing wrong with that because no one ever made money club racing. Laff.....
Old 10-14-2019, 07:08 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Just returned from the Virginia International Raceway (VIR) SCCA Runoffs. While I didn't get to race or drive the circuit, it's an amazing track. Fast, but with significant elevation and camber changes. The subtle rolls and track surface variation make it an incredible challenge for drivers, and it's clearly a track I'd love to drive and race at. Beautiful scenery, paddock and facility to visit- I envy all the Virginia and North Carolina Z enthusiasts who get to visit this outstanding facility on a regular basis. That said, this was not a good year for Nissan, as there were no Runoffs victories to expand the marque's lead as the one with the most wins in SCCA history.

While there were several Nissan drivers who represented well, there was a notable lack of Z33s competing this year. The 2019 rules package was a prime reason, as they handicap the car severely. Even our local ace went to a Spec E46 to compete in Touring 3 this year, as the rules favor the Fords and BMWs in that class. As stated earlier in this thread, I chose not to compete in Touring 1, as the 350Z would've been severely over-matched. Even the tubeframe 350Z in GT2 (a past Runoffs winner) had a difficult week and couldn't make the start of that race.

I chose to help a friend work on his NISMO Z34 entered in Touring 2. Among other tasks, I fabricated new brake ducts in the NISMO front bumper after a qualifying shunt severely damaged the car. It's always an interesting task to see the differences between the Z33/34 up close (and on your back) in the pits. Learned a few things as the week went on, and our T2 Z went on to fight the good fight in the race. But with Porsches, Mustangs and Corvettes pulling away on VIR's long straights, it was a tough fight to be in.

Last edited by dkmura; 10-14-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:39 AM
Young Wonder

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be there in 2 weeks with NASA. This will be my 2nd time at VIR. It is a very fast course. I am at Max speed on 3 sections of the course which is 120-130mph. I get past by most of the cars like I am standing still. Doing a point by at 120 and my instructor says don't lift and they get around you pretty quickly is a little disheartening. It's definitely a fun track and beautiful scenery.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:04 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Converting the Z back to run Touring 3 this weekend. Bolting in lead, installing 37mm restrictors and getting smaller tires (245-40-18 BFGoodrich R1-S) mounted for the Rocky Mountain SCCA finale at LaJunta Raceways. With the 2019 VIR Runoffs over, qualifying for the 2020 Road America Runoffs starts this weekend!

PS- I turned in my T3 proposal for 2020 to the SCCA CRB and hope the Z33 will get a break next year. Also asked for a Super Touring classification for the 350Z, so we'll see how either, or both requests work out.
SilverGLE (10-21-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 07:19 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Had a great time racing in the final SCCA Rocky Mountain Championship race at LaJunta this weekend. Won both T3 races when the Porsche opposition went out with a tranny failure. The Spec Boxster had just had a new clutch/flywheel/master installed, so it was unfortunate the tranny went next! I battled my own mechanical issues, as the ABS fix I installed (new steering position sensor) failed to work and I locked them up on several occasions before changing my driving to brake slightly earlier and squeezing on and off, rather than going to the middle pedal aggressively.

Had some great racing with a E Production RX-7 and A Sedan Firebird, but also had a great time coming from dead last after missing qualifying for the first race. After finding severely flat-spotted tires, one of my Nissan buddies spotted a more serious problem. The LR wheel bearing had gone and was wobbling like a top! That vibration I felt at 110 MPH was way more than just flat spotted tires in the practice session, and I was EXTREMELY fortunate it didn't result in a severe accident. Many thanks to my Nissan mates: Ian Sullivan, Nick Leone and Scott (who run a HP Datsun 1200) for jumping in and helping me get this changed out in under two hours.

We both missed qualifying and started from the back, but had a blast passing cars all around the 1.3-mile circuit. While this might sound simple, you still need to practice patience in setting up and completing clean passes without any contact, or disrupting other class races. The race weekend was disrupted by an impending Colorado winter storm bearing down on the state. Rather than racing in potentially hazardous conditions (my 350Z rain tires were ready, but the snow/ice tires were NOT on the trailer), the race officials decided to accelerate the schedule and run both RMDiv races on Saturday, while the weather held. No qualifying for the second race, and you started where you finished in the first race.

Packed up afterwards and the Titan got us home before the icy rain/snow mix coated the road. I used up several older BFG tires, which helped clear out my used tire inventory. And while my 2019 SCCA racing season didn't result in any championships (T1 Mid-America Majors and RMDiv series = 2nd place, T3 RMDiv series = 3rd), it still felt RICH in satisfaction to have competed!
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
MicVelo (10-28-2019), Young Wonder (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 08:57 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Great start to the 2020 Run to the Runoffs, DM!!
Old 11-09-2019, 03:14 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Submitted a letter to the SCCA Touring Committee asking for the following changes for the T3 350Z:

Requesting the following changes to the spec line for the Nissan 350Z: allow VQ35DE to utilize 60 mm restrictor, 275 max tire size and 3200# minimum weight. For VQ35HR powered Z, utilize 40 mm restrictor, 275 max tire size and 3250# minimum weight. These changes may help equalize the speed disparity and attract some of these cars back out to race in T3. Thanks for taking the time to review this request.

If successful, the Touring committee sends along its approval to the Competition Racing Board (CRB) who can incorporate it into the 2020 rules. Last year was a no go, and hardly any Zs ran T3 in 2019, We'll see what 2020 brings...
MicVelo (11-09-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 04:12 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Well, the SCCA Touring committee has made recommendations for T3 to the CRB and here they are:

- 350Z will continue to run a maximum of 245- series tires (not 275 max as I requested) FAIL
-The minimum weight of all Z33s will increase by 50 lbs. (not a 50# reduction as requested). FAIL
-Dropped the flat plate restrictor on the DE and increased the FPR on the HR to 42mm (not 40mm as requested). PASS

Old 12-19-2019, 05:42 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Well, the SCCA Touring committee has made recommendations for T3 to the CRB and here they are:

- 350Z will continue to run a maximum of 245- series tires (not 275 max as I requested) FAIL
-The minimum weight of all Z33s will increase by 50 lbs. (not a 50# reduction as requested). FAIL
-Dropped the flat plate restrictor on the DE and increased the FPR on the HR to 42mm (not 40mm as requested). PASS
Committee of scared Mustang people. Psh.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:41 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Committee of scared Mustang people. Psh.
Yeah, last year a Spec E46 Bimmer won, so I thought they might be willing to cut the Z a break. The bigger restrictor will give us a bit more top end power, but I'll have to retune again. The higher weight and small tire size will impact braking and cornering, but nothing that a few SETS of 245-40-18s won't solve, right? Crapola...
Old 12-20-2019, 09:18 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Yeah, last year a Spec E46 Bimmer won, so I thought they might be willing to cut the Z a break. The bigger restrictor will give us a bit more top end power, but I'll have to retune again. The higher weight and small tire size will impact braking and cornering, but nothing that a few SETS of 245-40-18s won't solve, right? Crapola...
So, the big question is whether the Mustangs and Bimmers are tire limited as well? While we all want to see Nissan in the winner's circle (or at least in the wood spots on podium), I'm sure that every marque group running have their gripes with the comp board over something or other. Less gripes maybe, but still.

I do recall all of the "huge" protests and such back in the day. Mostly EVERYONE griping about the favoritism of the Porsche ranks. Laff....