Notices

DIY 06+ remove and paint center console, cubby, guages

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 PM
justin428

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, and as a self-reply to when I stated I ruined my interior..I'm going to have to through and update this thread so that's its more complete. I'm grateful the op made it, but LOTS was left out in details.

The rough texture after painting was partly because with this paint you have to spray very close an very fast and also because after painting a wet t shirt needs to lightly rubbed on the surface to smooth it out. After it dries that is. If you want to smooth it one step further, rubbing compound may be used at the risk of removing too much paint.

Details such as re-assembly of the silver pod rings should be added as well as cubby spring reinstallation directions. I'll do all this when I get time.

To the naysayers:
Some rubbery texture OEM parts are extremely "gooey". I ordered a replacement part and they must have reformulated it because it was much better. Just because you aren't experiencing the same scratching problems as another Z owner doesn't mean they're doing something wrong. This crap rubbery stuff melts off like chocolate in the sun if you were unfortunate enough to have gotten a bad batch.

Last edited by justin428; 06-20-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Motowntom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, great write up. i did mine red to match the car. Couldnt have done it without this diy, did the strut bar cover as well, turned out great.
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails DIY 06+ remove and paint center console, cubby, guages-new-001.jpg   DIY 06+ remove and paint center console, cubby, guages-new-002.jpg   DIY 06+ remove and paint center console, cubby, guages-new-003.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Osborn Wu

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was dumb and forgot to put a towel on my shift stick when i put my console back on... sooo, don't repeat my mistake
Old 12-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Vbsurferr

Thank you so much for this posting. I probably would have never attempted to fix my 2004 350Z console if it weren't for this. My center console looks better than ever now. I just did as you said, cleaned off the plastic pieces and just sprayed over them without doing any sanding. This was very easy. I didn't even take apart the cubby door while painting.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:48 PM
donj

Is clear really necessary? Would it be a huge difference if not used?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Bmerck06

Default Quick Option for painting cubby lid

The remove and paint option in this chain is certainly the best option. However, I had resigned myself to purchasing a new cubby lid so trying this approach wasn't much of a risk for me.

I purchased 2 cheap plastic drop cloths from Home Depot @ $1.99ea then covered the entire car. Next, I pushed the plastic down so that I could sit on it in the driver's seat. I cut a hole in the plastic the size of the cubby, then used painters tape to tape the plastic tarp around the outside of the cubby.

Last, I used black satin paint and primer in one and carefully dusted the cubby cover a few times then waited a couple of hours.

Again, probably isn't as perfect as it could have been by removing etc., but it took less than an hour and I am quite pleased with the result. I did follow the recommendations around washing the cubby lid with soapy water and using a microfiber cloth for drying.

Total time: 45 mins plus drying time.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:00 PM
donj

I did mine as I swapped from the 05 to the 06+ it turned out great man. I didn't clear it though thanls
Old 01-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Jake8267

I just did this little project myself over the weekend...came out ok me thinks

I didnt take the time to prime and wetsand the sub strate, basically because im impatient and just wanted to get it done...now that its properly cleared, ill end up tearing the stuff out again in a couple months, and use the clear coat as the primer in this case, getting rid of the texture below the clear...but for about 3 hours of work, including the dipping of the gauge pods, it came out pretty nice.

Last edited by Jake8267; 01-17-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:57 PM
arshinark

So what's the difference between doing this on an '03-'05 and the '06+? I have an '04 would there be any major differences?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Turnstien

Hey guys good write up only question i have which it looks like it is just want to make sure due to i want to keep a stock look also! Is it flat Dupli Colour that i want or the gloss/semi gloss i'm only doing the center 3 gauge pod area thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Turnstien

Its flat answered my own question by going through the first page a few times sorry guys and thanks for the write up this site has sent me in the right direction numerous times and i have only owned my Z for 5 months 2 weeks of driving the rest sitting in my garage Ontario winter sucked this year! Cheers
Old 03-21-2014, 10:44 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you're enjoying 350Z ownership

Old 03-21-2014, 11:26 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnstien
Hey guys good write up only question i have which it looks like it is just want to make sure due to i want to keep a stock look also! Is it flat Dupli Colour that i want or the gloss/semi gloss i'm only doing the center 3 gauge pod area thanks!
I've got an extra console for my '08, and I resprayed it with what I think is better quality paint than the usual Krylon or Duplicolor. SEM makes professional quality interior paints, and I used a 2-part system. Base coat is #16243 Satin Black, with a top coat of #13023 Low Luster Clear. Spent ~$25 shipped from Summit Racing, but I think this finish will be far more durable and easier to clean than a single-layer system. YMMV, but I'd rather not repeat this job, so the extra $ and prep effort was worthwhile to me. As for the release button on the cubby door, I stripped it to bare plastic and then wet-sanded and polished it to a mirror finish. No paint to chip off, so that piece should also look great for a long time.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:07 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get some pics up!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:17 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Maybe in a week, or so. It's up in my attic, and it's a b!tch getting up there. I did promise to retrieve some brake calipers from up there for a guy in a few weeks, so I'll grab it then. I do have a pic of the polished release button, but it was a little dusty when I took it:

Old 07-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Bellisima_Z

Did this to my Z today. Turn out awesome! I also did the door handles and the pulls. Thanks for sharing... it was super easy and now my car looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Your the man!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:07 PM
sfdrummer

very nice work ! I am have an 06 I just purchased. It seems hard to find any z33 without cubby or console scratches LOL. Seems the woman who owned my car was Lilly Munster ! Long nails ! . I noticed you used a primer, was that for the cubby button ? and how far from the console did you spray ?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:58 AM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone tried this with Plasti-dip?
Old 09-23-2014, 02:12 PM
haleo

Default lemans sunset

great write upbut I want to paint the interior parts the same color as exterior (lemans sunset)( sunburst orange ).has anyone tried this? how did it turn out
Old 09-23-2014, 02:14 PM
haleo

Default lemans sunset

and how do you remove the piece over the speedometer ,the piece with the crappy paint ..........2006 m/t thx

Quick Reply: DIY 06+ remove and paint center console, cubby, guages