Notices

Manually Registering TPMS

Old 11-03-2015, 04:46 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

You must know a different Nissan dealer than the ones close to me.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:53 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Why do you say that?
Old 11-03-2015, 05:36 PM
dcains

I ended up programming the TPMS myself when I got new wheels/tires/sensors, but I did call 2 dealers first. One dealer wanted ~$200 for the task (just enabling the new sensors, not mounting tires, etc.), and the other said I'd need to leave the car all day to get an estimate, and that minimum was 1 hour in labor fees.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:06 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Lol

I went, told the guy what I needed done. That I have got new wheels and aftermarket sensors and just needed the computer since I used to work at Nissan 5 years ago I knew it's a simple task. He said " you want to pull it around you can use the computer" I forgot how so I just slipped him a $20 and they did it in n less then 3 minutes and I left
Old 11-04-2015, 06:43 AM
icer5160

Received 397 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by icer5160
Confirmed! This worked on my 2006 350Z Base model.

I did run into an issue though, so I wanted to point this out.

The Tire Pressure settings I originally tried did not work. The first settings were the "updated" numbers in the OP's post (Below)...
FL: 37
FR: 34
RR: 31
RL: 28

I thought I was doing something wrong with the grounding process, so I spent a stupid amount of time trying different things there. The entire time I had the pressures wrong. Finally, before giving up entirely, I decided to try the second set of pressure settings (Below)....
FL: 34
FR: 31
RR: 28
RL: 26
(NOTE, these are the same numbers recommended for Infinity and Nissan models, plenty of Youtube videos cover this)

After driving for about 2-3 minutes, the TPMS gauge light stopped flashing and went out. All 4 wheels were showing up in my multi-display. A few seconds later the light came back up for the wheels below 30 psi.

So not sure if the first numbers are year specific or possibly even trim specific, but this is what worked for me!

Also, not sure if anyone else did this already, but I took the time to "make" a tool for this job. All you need is some spare wire (3.5' for ground and another 3.5' for connector), a toggle switch, paperclip, and some shrink tube. It took me about 10-15 minutes to make the tool so I could break and connect the circuit to ground comfortably from the driver's seat. Recently I've been having TPMS sensors dropping off quite frequently, even after having all 4 replaced with brand new OEM Nissan sensors! This was my first time using this method, so it could have been something the shop was doing wrong when registering the sensors, only time will tell. But having the ability to do it on my own saves me a lot of hassle!

Hope this info helps others!
-Icer
Update from my previous post. This past weekend (Friday 10/30) my Front Right sensor randomly dropped off...again. No obvious explanation for why this happened. I went through the relearn procedure a second time and all 4 sensors came back up. Kind of annoying because of the time required to remove the panels and refill the tires with air. If the same sensor drops off again, I'm getting it replaced under Warranty.

With that said, I still prefer doing this myself instead of paying a shop/dealer for it. The time required to schedule an appointment and drop off the car takes longer than removing the panels, using my homemade tool, and refilling the tires. So I guess you could say this is the lesser of two evils.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:22 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
Way easier to stop at Nissan for 5 minutes in and out
My local dealer wanted $140 and said they couldn't guarantee it would work... I was so happy I found this thread.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:07 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

After 6 months I dont think my sensors want to come back alive... Guess ill be cruising with the light on for the next 6 months.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:30 PM
viper3two

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2007 z grand touring. Did the tpms reset procedure and got to the point where tpms beeped, the light went out, then came back on due to tpms detecting low pressure. Went to the gas station, put 34 psi back in the tires but the light never went out.
Drove it to work 40 miles one way, light never went out. After work, put tpms in reset mode with 34psi in all tires. Did the beep and slow blink, but after the light came on and stayed on.
I even did it a 2nd time on the way home, this time after it started the slow blink, I tied my lead together so it would stay grounded. Kept going home and it beeped again, then light stayed on.
Only way I can get the light to go off is use the pressures outlined in the OP, it will go off for a minute or so but come back on due to the low pressure in left rear. Does not go off after putting 34psi in all 4 tires. Any ideas on this? Thanks

Last edited by viper3two; 12-07-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:26 AM
blufc3s

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by viper3two
2007 z grand touring. Did the tpms reset procedure and got to the point where tpms beeped, the light went out, then came back on due to tpms detecting low pressure. Went to the gas station, put 34 psi back in the tires but the light never went out.
Drove it to work 40 miles one way, light never went out. After work, put tpms in reset mode with 34psi in all tires. Did the beep and slow blink, but after the light came on and stayed on.
I even did it a 2nd time on the way home, this time after it started the slow blink, I tied my lead together so it would stay grounded. Kept going home and it beeped again, then light stayed on.
Only way I can get the light to go off is use the pressures outlined in the OP, it will go off for a minute or so but come back on due to the low pressure in left rear. Does not go off after putting 34psi in all 4 tires. Any ideas on this? Thanks
I have the same symptoms/problem with my 07 GT. I suspect I have a bad TPM, so next step for me is to replace them all.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:56 AM
dcains

If they're the original sensors, it's about time the batteries are gone.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:55 PM
viper3two

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blufc3s
I have the same symptoms/problem with my 07 GT. I suspect I have a bad TPM, so next step for me is to replace them all.
I have a 2007 grand touring. I got mine to turn off...finally...after 6 attempts at this . Here is what I did, and the mistake I made:

1. I took the lower right dash off and metal plate. Hooked up a 12" wire, one to the ground, the other to the TPMS lead as outlined in the OP. Put the dash back together. Took about 30 minutes to do and much easier this way.
2. Set the air pressure as per the manual for the OBD3 procedure:
Front − Left 34)
Front − Right 31)
Rear − Right 29)
Rear − Left 26)

3. Started car. DO NOT turn the car off through the entire procedure including the last step, filling tires back up! Leave the engine running!!
4. Performed the OBD3 procedure as outlined in OP.
5. When the light was blinking slow, drove the car until it beeped and the light turned off. It was less than a mile.
6. Drove more until the light turned back on due to detecting the low air pressure in the left rear tire. That wound up being probably a 1/2 mile.
7. My big mistake. I repeated this procedure 5 times until I figured out what I was doing wrong. >>>When the light turns back on due to low pressure, go to the gas station and fill your tires back up, but DO NOT TURN OFF THE CAR!
8. When I filled up my tires, the light went out! I had previously turned off the car, filled up the tires, got back in the car, started it and the light would never turn off. I didn't even have to drive it, the light was already off when I got back in the car this time.
Just keep the car running throughout the entire procedure and you should get it reset.
Thanks
Tony

Last edited by viper3two; 12-09-2015 at 02:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by viper3two:
blufc3s (12-09-2015), jv350z (12-10-2015)
Old 01-22-2016, 06:32 PM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I Have an 05 roadster. When I put my Nismo Wheels on I saw that they had the sensors in them. I have finally gotten around to trying to turn the light off. What I did was which way under the dash and found the connector as indicated earlier in this thread. It's very difficult and space is at a super premium but I managed to get some scissors and to cut the tape and got the connector loose. I took a three foot piece of wire and stripped about three quarters of an inch off the end and coated it with solder. I stripped the other end about 1 inch. Then I took the soldered end and stuck it in the connector and it fit very well. Then I started the car and tapped a brass bracket multiple times until the tire pressure light started flashing. Then I folded up the end of the wire and tucked it under the bracket and kept it grounded. I pumped up the tires to the specifications at the beginning of this thread which is about 37, 34, 31, 28. I drove it around above 30 miles an hour for about 2 minutes and the light went off. Then the light came back on because of the low tyre pressures in the rear. I pumped up the rear tires and the light went off again and the pressures were registered and everything works great. Thank you very much to everybody on this thread. It was a pain in the *** but totally worth it because I don't have that ridiculous light and all those other lights flashing at me making me feel like I'm a deadbeat
Old 01-22-2016, 08:51 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I just did this the other night after having a TPMS replaced at the Ford dealership I work at. The technicians did not have a suitable tool that would allow the car to go into relearn mode. My car is an '08 Base.

I did it a little different- here it is as simply as I can put it.

1. Set tire pressures:
FL: 34
FR: 31
RR: 29
RL: 26

2. Take off lower passenger kick panel, lower dash panel, cigarette lighter harness, etc.

3. Find single wire pigtail. Remove tape holding to larger harness.

4. Fashion a "tool" that you can plug into the single wire pigtail and is long enough to tap the other end against something metal (a ground)- I used the lower dash metal panel and worked just fine.

Here is mine:

5. Once the paper clip end is plugged into the harness- start car. Tap free end of tool against ground several times (6 did it for me), until the TPMS warning light begins to flash. Once the light began flashing- I let the "tool" hang free without being grounded to anything.

6. Drive around at 30+mph consistently until the TPMS warning light goes out. (Or in my case- since I have the '03-'06 TPMS readout gauge swap, wait until the sensor(s) start displaying inputs on the gauge again).

7. Light will most likely come back on due to low tire pressure, Mine did, but the tpms readout gauge stayed working.

8. I went home, shut the car off, and refilled my tires to recommended pressure. The next drive it took a few minutes for it to finally shut the light off for good.

Thanks so much for the info guys. Saved me some $$$ at Nissan's service department

Last edited by n0smoke; 01-22-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:33 AM
DeusExMaxima

Its interesting how our procedures were similar. Some say that you cannot shut of the engine at all during the procedure, but you did shut yours off. Also, some say you have to leave the TPMS diagnostic connector grounded the whole time, and you were able to leave it hanging.

At least now with the wire extension in place, it will be much easier to reset the system in the future. Digging through the dash was very difficult. Also, it avoids removing dash parts to gain access to the connector.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:50 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Gotta admire all the diligence in this thread!! Serious.

I took the easy way out for extinguishing the TPMS light.

Put my OEM wheels back on. No reset, no nothing, no light.

I know this is irrelevant but just sayin'...
Old 01-26-2016, 01:55 PM
DeusExMaxima

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I took the easy way out for extinguishing the TPMS light.

Put my OEM wheels back on. No reset, no nothing, no light.
That's kind of what I did with the Niz wheels....they are OEM but not original to the car of course.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:25 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Its interesting how our procedures were similar. Some say that you cannot shut of the engine at all during the procedure, but you did shut yours off. Also, some say you have to leave the TPMS diagnostic connector grounded the whole time, and you were able to leave it hanging.

At least now with the wire extension in place, it will be much easier to reset the system in the future. Digging through the dash was very difficult. Also, it avoids removing dash parts to gain access to the connector.
On the first drive the TPMS light went out at the same time the psi gauge started functioning. When the TPMS light came back on the psi gauge stayed working so I knew it was just the error for low psi and not a sensor.

I figured it'd be fine to shut the car off and correct the pressures and the next drive cycle would take care of the light. Which it was.

I'm a pretty slim guy so it wasn't a huge deal to get to the wire behind the dash- though it definitely required the disassembly, it would not be worth the frustration otherwise.

Mic. I wish it were that easy- but I guess after eight years the batteries in the OEM units are starting to poop out. Waiting for that light to pop back on once the fronts go. I'll have my relearn tool at the ready

Last edited by n0smoke; 02-01-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 AM
DeusExMaxima

Originally Posted by n0smoke

I'm a pretty slim guy so it wasn't a huge deal to get to the wire behind the dash- though it definitely required the disassembly, it would not be worth the frustration otherwise.
Im have wide shoulders so I was really cramped in getting that hidden wire. I have the ability to remove the dash, but I really didnt want to, although it was a close call because I struggled with the lack of room. It would have been much easier if I removed the seats, but its still cramped.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:56 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

Awesome thread... adding my experience and tips.
I've got an '03 Touring but '08 Touring wheels fitted

1) Use the LOWER pressure values listed. Remember as you drive tire pressure goes UP. So maybe the higher values are the desired units after the tires have warmed? All I know is I tired both sets of values but only the lower ones worked.

2) If you can't get the light blinking to start it is because either the paper clip or the ground wire isn't connected solidly. While this a temporary rig job you still have to make good connections

3) Drive around with wire connected to ground. While driving you should hear several beeps (turn the radio off and windows up). If you don't hear the beeps then the connections came lose. Read #2 again!

4) When the process is finished you'll hear one slightly longer beep and the light will go off. However because the air pressure is too low in the left rear tire after a few seconds the warning in the dash should come back, but this time it will be solid. Also at this point you should be able to read all the pressures from the nearest center console gauge.

5) I had to drive for about 6 miles... your mileage may vary
Old 03-03-2016, 02:52 PM
dansdaytona06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is Thanks to everyone on this thread! Bought my '06 Touring Convertible three weeks ago. So I had this issue with the TPMS light. I was getting 3 pressure readings off of the sensors and one -- , I figured one must have a dead battery. The car is 10 years old! Then while filling and setting tire pressures I figured out the location of wheel sensors did not match the car dash gauge ??? Since the car has good tires I thought, 'well I will just wait till I have to replace the tires and address this'. Then I found this site, AMAZING!

I was at work reading the thread so had to wait to get home (and dark) to attempt this fix but I was super excited. Here is what I did:

1. wedged small light securely under dash where it would give light to the work area. lay on back up under passenger dash and find the white plug taped up with the blue tape. Used very thin scissors to reach in and cut blue tape. Not easy.

2. took a paper clip and jam it into the white plug, first tried large paper clip which would not go in, was able to get a small paper clip to fit securely into the plug. Really not easy.

3. connected alligator cable to the clip. WITH SETUP DONE I MOVED TO THE WHEELS. I used the LOWER PSI numbers: 34 : 31 : 29: 26 . Then I STARTED THE CAR and waited until my flashing TPMS went steady (30 sec?)

4. Ok now the reset. Touch the alligator wire to ground/frame 6 times and the TPMS started blinking. Wow, it is blinking. I DID NOT LEAVE THE WIRE CONNECTED AND DID NOT HEAR ANY BEEPING. I drove only about 3 miles and then all 4 readings showed on the car gauge!!! The blinking TPMS light then went out for about 15 seconds and then back on steady( due to low pressure in rear driver tire). LEAVE THE CAR ON FOR ALL OF THIS. So I found a service station, filled the tires and the TPMS light is OFF!!!

Now I get accurate readings and know which tire is reporting on dash gauge. This is so awesome, once again thank you all very much. Even though this is basically the sequence and process described many times here I just had to report. Including all tools I needed in a pic, including $1 in quarters since I had to pay to refill the tires!

Happy driving to all !
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Manually Registering TPMS-part_1457047097780.jpg  

Last edited by dansdaytona06; 03-03-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manually Registering TPMS