Notices

Manually Registering TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 PM
H.E.Pennypacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone please help me with the location of the TPMS connector in an '03 350Z Track?

Like some other posters, I had Discount Tire replace one of my wheel units and they couldn't get it to register.

I bought the OTC-3831 reset tool but I cannot find where to plug it in. The OTC instructions state the tool is compatible with '03+ 350Z but I cannot find the connector anywhere in the car.

I have looked extensively under the dash on both passenger and driver side. All I found is a single unmated connector under the drivers side dash coming out of the center tunnel. It has a green and a blue wire coming into it but it is thinner and wider than either of the connectors with the OTC tool.

The OTC tool seems to have two "columns" of connectors while the loose one on the car has a single column.

Any help would be appreciated before the tool goes back to Amazon and the car goes to the Nissan Dealer for a reset.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:13 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

did you remove the lower dash panel from the passenger side? if you don't remove the panel it's hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for. otherwise, it's the only unattached single connector up under that side that i remember.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:10 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I tried resetting yesterday morning and after getting it into learning mode and failing (forgot to set the pressures) it just stays constant, even upon start up when it usually blinks. Now I cant get it to blink at all! Any ideas?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:58 PM
SQuaLZ

I got it to blink several times then it beeps for about 10 seconds then stays solid. This happened about 5 times so I am assuming a sensor is bad.

Do I have to bring it to Nissan? I can't tell which sensor it is so I guess off to the stealership so they can rape me again
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 AM
SQuaLZ

I guess before I bring it in I will try again next weekend. I had set the tires to 34, 31, 28, and 26, so maybe I will try the other amounts; 37, 34, 31, and 28. What do you guys think?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 AM
H.E.Pennypacker

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
did you remove the lower dash panel from the passenger side? if you don't remove the panel it's hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for. otherwise, it's the only unattached single connector up under that side that i remember.
OK, I found it once I removed the lower dash. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 PM
H.E.Pennypacker

So, I followed the procedure. Didn't work. Followed it again. Didn't work.

So I went out and bought a pricey digital tire guage and discovered that the guage on my compressor is way off.

Set the tires to the proper pressures and tried a third time. Drove 10+ miles and was getting pissed. Then beep pause beep beep pause beep beep beep but the light kept on flashing and no pressures displayed on the dash.

I drove the rest of the way home ~5 miles grumbling and planning when I would go to Nissan.

When I got home SURPRISE! the warning light was solid and three of the sensors registered.

The one that isn't registered is the one Discount Tire replaced. So I am back where I started from.

Thanks for the write up though. Nobody's fault here that DT's sensor isn't working.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Please report back after several hundred miles. I'm interested to know if it all works out.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:18 PM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fixed my tpms light on an 07'

long story short; i got two pairs of rims - dd rims and show rims,

went on ebay bought 4 x tpms sensors for like $60

Set tire pressures, did the 5 ground tap procedure, drove, reinflated tires to 34 all around
Light is off.

Bad news; I have to do this everytime I change rims
Old 05-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zsunshinefl
fixed my tpms light on an 07'

long story short; i got two pairs of rims - dd rims and show rims,

went on ebay bought 4 x tpms sensors for like $60

Set tire pressures, did the 5 ground tap procedure, drove, reinflated tires to 34 all around
Light is off.

Bad news; I have to do this everytime I change rims
How long do you keep the show wheels on? I'd just leave it programmed for the daily rims and ignore the light when you have the flashy wheels on it. It will go back off when you put the regular wheels on.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:09 PM
l2iceman

Finally got around to doing this. It was super easy lol thanks OP!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 AM
shiftdrift06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No luck here. I even bought the OTC handtool.
I have a 2003. Two of my sensors went bad. I replaced with used oem nissan ones.
My light will just stay flashing. No beeps. Then after 20minutes, it just kicks itself out of learning mode. Light stays on solid, and it just shows the 2 tire pressures that were already working.

Maybe I fault somewhere else.
Does anyone know how to pull the error codes? Do I need a special scantool or can I put the system in diagnostic mode and count the flashing lights like on older nissans?

Last edited by shiftdrift06; 06-17-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Shane4367

Default 2005 TPMS Manual Reset

I mainly just read on this site for info and have learned some awesome stuff so hopefully I can give something back with some pictures of the location of this elusive connector on my 2005 350Z. Like many people, I couldn't find it until I saw the pics posted by evlap for their 2006. Then I at least knew what I was looking for and found it in just a few moments (with the help of a tiny fingertip flashlight I use fishing). My connector had the single white wire to it, but that was completely covered with a black sheathing. Without removing the pass side dash panel it was so dark under there I never would have seen it without a light. Like someone mentioned before me, it is only up there several inches, but very hard to reach (and see) in my case so I removed the panel. I also used the OTC reset tool and I left the jumper attached so it's routed to an easy to reach location for future resets (winter wheels). Once my tpms light was blinking I totally disconnected the tool and drove about 8min before my light went off and my tire pressure readings were visable again, this time in the correct positions (tire shop mixed up my sensors). There were no beeps at all in my case. A few thoughts if you are taking off the dash panel: with the exception of removing the drink holder and the bolt by the accessory plug in, work from right to left (pull up part of the entry sill trim (use trim removal tool) and door seal, remove kick panel and using a trim removal tool work from right to left removing the dash panel itself. Also don't forget to make sure everything is out of the way and you temporarily replace the door seal BEFORE you close your passenger door to start driving (I almost made this mistake). I'm glad this works because what is charged for this service by some dealers is a rip off.
Attached Thumbnails Manually Registering TPMS-tpms.jpg   Manually Registering TPMS-tpms1.jpg   Manually Registering TPMS-tpms2.jpg   Manually Registering TPMS-tpms3.jpg   Manually Registering TPMS-tpms4.jpg  

Manually Registering TPMS-tpms5.jpg  

Last edited by Shane4367; 07-04-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 AM
rx-kevin

I just got this to work. I had to touch it to the bracket, not the bolt sticking out. Also I started the car without it grounded. It seems like everyone has a slight variation that they did to make it work. It's more like superstition, because it is so finicky that it only works when you hop on one leg holding a rabbit's foot
Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 AM
I DTW I

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I originally read this when I bought my summer set of wheels and tires (with TPMS installed). The task seemed rather daunting and I drove for 3 months without the sensors functioning. I just followed this DIY last night and it was shockingly simple!! I wish I'd have done it 3 months ago, and I consider it no bother to do when changing wheels to the winter/summer sets (now that I know exactly what I'm doing).

I spent about 2 hours trying to find the white connector under the drivers side. Once I realized it was under the passenger side dash I found it in 15 minutes.

For those of us with a 2003, it is on the PASSENGER side about an inch above where the dash comes to an end (in the passenger footwell). And you definitely do not need to uninstall anything. It needed grounded about 10 times to my seat bolt for my TPMS light to start flashing. I drove no more than 300 FEET and after a few beeps it showed up. I didn't even get out of my neighborhood and the pressures showed up.

Thanks to everyone who helped write this DIY! More proof we can live without the dealership/shops!

Last edited by I DTW I; 08-08-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 AM
I DTW I

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And for others like me who got confused which new wheel needed to go on which corner of the car (I ordered a wheel + tire combo with the sensors already in them) it doesn't matter! It's WHICHEVER wheel you set with 26 psi, will become the RR and so on. I was so confused by this originally because the online retailer I got my wheel/tire combo from didn't label which wheel was for which corner (I got a square set up). Hopefully that alleviates much undue confusion for people in the future.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 AM
ZWildZ

Hi guys,
Looking for some help here. I've got a 2006 350Z Base and I recently purchased 4 new TPMS sensors from shoptpms.com, the guy on this forum that sells them. I think his name is Lawrence. Anyway, I located the connector by removing my passenger lower dash panel, used a paperclip and some wires with alligator clips to ground the connector as instructed but I'm still not getting any readings from my new sensors. I tried leaving the connector grounded during my 10-15 minute drive-around at over 30mph and I also tried leaving it unconnected. Even tried connected then unconnected in same attempt to reset. I can get the warning light to come on solid when I ground the connector on startup and I can get it flashing with 6 touches of the wire to ground but it just never finds the sensors. And yes, I did set all the tires to the specific PSI as per location. Not sure what to try next. Very frustrated. Any input???

On the shoptpms.com site they have a link to resetting tpms for Maximas 08-10 and it references a special tool to "wake" the sensors. From what I've read here, the Z doesn't require this tool but now I'm starting to wonder if my car does.....????

Last edited by ZWildZ; 09-16-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 AM
ZWildZ

Hey guys, read this thread front to back a few times and couldn't get my new TPMS sensors to reset. Finally figured out that NEW sensors need to be registered with the on board computer first, then you can do this reset procedure. You need the special tool to register new sensors. I took my car to Town Fair Tire and they did it for free in 5 minutes.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:55 AM
shadow191

How would they register it with the onboard computer and not just set them? But this probably explains why I could not get the procedure to work on my FX with new sensors.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:53 AM
sp0811

Great old thread! Lost the readings on one TPMS sensor. Dash light would flash at start and then go steady on. One pressure reading showing ---. Figured I had a sensor go bad, but tried this reset per the original post and everything is working correctly again, including all four readings.

Fairly simple once you locate the connector and get the damn paper clip inserted (I didn't remove the dash panel so it was a challenge).

After doing the wire short to ground and getting TPMS into learning mode (car running), I left the ground wire grounded as I drove. Drove less than two miles (dash light flashing in learn mode) before I noticed the light was out (no beep). Checked pressure readings and all four were reporting.

Thanks to the OP and all who have added details since.

Quick Reply: Manually Registering TPMS