Notices

Manually Registering TPMS

Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 PM
DVSIR911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how do you do this on a car with stretched tires and high tire pressure? Do you have to adjust the pressure in each tire or can you just do the reset and drive around? I heard someone say they didnt have to touch the tire pressure at all for it to reset and start working again.....
Old 04-17-2014, 12:10 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Just thought I'd update this thread with my own positive results. I've got an '08 and recently bought some new wheels, and these TPMS sensors:

Amazon.com: SD05 OEM 40700JA01B 07-12 Nissan Set 4PCS TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor 350Z 370Z Altima 07 08 09 10 11 12: Automotive Amazon.com: SD05 OEM 40700JA01B 07-12 Nissan Set 4PCS TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor 350Z 370Z Altima 07 08 09 10 11 12: Automotive

I was able to spot the connector under the dash in short order, thanks to the pics posted here by others. While it was a simple task to snip the tape with a pair of scissors, it was still a b!tch getting hold of the connector, so I used a pair of surgical hemostats. With a good grip on the connector, it was fairly simple to insert a partially unbent paper clip. Why couldn't the fawkers at Nissan give us 2 damn more inches of wire and make everyone's life so much easier? I then used a piece of wire, with an alligator clip at each end to ground the wire 5 times and then temporarily grounded the wire to the outer ring of the under-dash power socket, while the engine was running. The light began to blink, so I knew I was in programming mode.

The tires each had 34psi and on the way to the gas station I heard a loud beeping from under the driver's dash which lasted for several seconds, and then the light stayed on solid. I wasn't concerned, and assumed this was an error message because all the tires had the same pressure.

Turned the engine off, and then inflated the tires to the pressures recommended in the manual; 27, 31, 34, and 37. I started the engine, got back into programming mode, and drove off.

In about a mile, the blinking light went out and I disconnected the grounding wire. Turned the engine off, restarted, and the programming was done. The only thing left to do was to reset the pressure in all the tires. Thanks for everyone who posted to this thread and made this a simple task.

Last edited by dcains; 04-17-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:09 PM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't see this addressed:

I have a 2007 350z, and a bootleg chinese Consult III. I don't have the $500 tpms tigger tool, but the service manual says the method in this thread works with the Consult III if you set the pressures to 34, 31, 29, and 26, same as grounding the connector. I didn't feel like digging the connector out of the dash and grounding it, so I gave the Consult III a try after setting the pressures. When you select ID Regist in the software, the TPMS light starts blinking and after a bit of driving it goes solid. After that it turns off. The red indicators for each sensor never turned green for me so I kept driving around and starting and stopping the ID Regist process. I thought it hadn't learned the sensors because the indicators never changed to green, and the TPMS dash light never came on solid for the tire at 26 PSI. When I got back home, I switched over to the data monitor, and it did have all the tires pressures close to what I had set them at(later Zs don't let you read the pressures on the dash), so it did indeed learn the sensors. Turns out the tires had warmed enough to keep the light from coming on after learning. In the future, I'll probably read the sensor IDs before I start so I can check to see if they've changed, since the software gives no indication of success. The on-screen indicators probably do work if you use the $500 tpms wakeup tool, but I'm not buying that. I suspect it actually worked in the first mile.

I used the VDO Redi-sensor SE10001HP sensors for my 2007 350z if that helps anyone.

Last edited by patrickoneal; 05-01-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Lakeside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
Just thought I'd update this thread with my own positive results. I've got an '08 and recently bought some new wheels, and these TPMS sensors:

Amazon.com: SD05 OEM 40700JA01B 07-12 Nissan Set 4PCS TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor 350Z 370Z Altima 07 08 09 10 11 12: Automotive

I was able to spot the connector under the dash in short order, thanks to the pics posted here by others. While it was a simple task to snip the tape with a pair of scissors, it was still a b!tch getting hold of the connector, so I used a pair of surgical hemostats. With a good grip on the connector, it was fairly simple to insert a partially unbent paper clip. Why couldn't the fawkers at Nissan give us 2 damn more inches of wire and make everyone's life so much easier? I then used a piece of wire, with an alligator clip at each end to ground the wire 5 times and then temporarily grounded the wire to the outer ring of the under-dash power socket, while the engine was running. The light began to blink, so I knew I was in programming mode.

The tires each had 34psi and on the way to the gas station I heard a loud beeping from under the driver's dash which lasted for several seconds, and then the light stayed on solid. I wasn't concerned, and assumed this was an error message because all the tires had the same pressure.

Turned the engine off, and then inflated the tires to the pressures recommended in the manual; 27, 31, 34, and 37. I started the engine, got back into programming mode, and drove off.

In about a mile, the blinking light went out and I disconnected the grounding wire. Turned the engine off, restarted, and the programming was done. The only thing left to do was to reset the pressure in all the tires. Thanks for everyone who posted to this thread and made this a simple task.
Good to know u had no issues. I purchased the same set from amazon. Waiting on some other parts before having them installed. Then I will attempt this.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:51 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by Lakeside
Good to know u had no issues. I purchased the same set from amazon. Waiting on some other parts before having them installed. Then I will attempt this.
Hardest part was "sitting" in the passenger seat with my head on the floor and feet over the headrest, looking for that wire. You really need a tool of some sort to grab it. Once I had the wire in hand, I just followed the procedure exactly. Now a few weeks later, the system is still working fine.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:12 PM
frostyrock7c

Worked perfect for me... literally took as long to locate the connector as it did for the entire rest of the process. 03 Performance model, BTW. I had more success locating the connector by feel than by sight once I knew the general area from the previous photos. Thanks forum, helpful as always.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:36 PM
armandofierro

Hi everyone, since I change wheels on my 2008 Touring Z, pressure indicator led turn on, I tried to follow all indications in this forum but I never could find the connector shown in photos here in this post.

I used a generic OBD-II scanner to turn off pressure light, OBDII Generic Scanner are useful for other things so invest in one is not loss of money, Amazon or Aliexpress.com have a lots of cheap offers of those devices.

These are the steps I followed with some help of this forum:

1.-Pressure Light was blinking in my car
2.-I cleared with OBD-II Generic Scanner all DTC´s, Pressure Light Turns Off
3.-Adjust Tire Pressure as mentioned here 27,31,34,37
4.-Drove the car awhile less than 40 m/h, light comes again on, but it this case turn on solid, not blinking this time
5.- Adjust all Tire pressure according to manual, in my case 35 psi.
6.- Drive the car, speed less than 40 m/h until light turns off.

I hope this help some ..

Happy driving Z
Old 12-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Z Ben

Default Tried it today, worked great!

I have a 2007 Roadster. Did the reset today and it worked fine. Had to remove the lower dash panel and metal plate behind it. no big deal, but made it so much easier to access the wire for grounding.

Thank for the info and details.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:22 PM
cwalexan

Thumbs up

Another success story, one sensor on my '03 350Z died about a year ago, had it replaced late last year, but neither NTB nor Discount Tire could reset it. NTB offer to reimburse dealer cost to reset sensors, but I just couldn't bring myself to go to the dealer (closest dealer here is pretty good, at least in my experience, but still inconvenient to leave it for a day, or more if they don't get to it...).

Tried ATEQ QuickSet, knowing it might not work with '03 350Z, and sure enough, it wouldn't even read sensor IDs. So, with a few free hours, I tried this.

No big deal, just like write-ups indicated. Set pressures to 37/34/31/28, did the start/grounding bit, and once got it into right mode, drove off... Only took about 3 minutes to register, pretty much once I hit > 30MPH for a short stretch, they all registered.

Took a few attempts to get it into reset mode, had to make sure paperclip was securely inserted into connector, then make sure wire was actually grounded. Easy enough, but did it without removing dash (passenger side on '03), so very awkward to make connections secure enough. But once done, it went smoothly.

Thanks to OP and follow-up posts for information.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:45 PM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Stupid question: does this only re-register the sensors or does it also recalibrate them (since it uses known pressure values)? Mine all register just fine, but 10 years in they're reading pressure about 7psi below actual, which means the low pressure alarm is always going off despite them being properly inflated.

Maybe I just need to get off my *** and give it a try...
Old 02-20-2015, 11:47 AM
ryanmackk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kilogram
Stupid question: does this only re-register the sensors or does it also recalibrate them (since it uses known pressure values)? Mine all register just fine, but 10 years in they're reading pressure about 7psi below actual, which means the low pressure alarm is always going off despite them being properly inflated.

Maybe I just need to get off my *** and give it a try...
I don't think these things have a re-calibration feature. I read that they should be replaced something like every 4 years or something. It's actually quite amazing how the batteries can last up to 10 years and over.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 AM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Anyone have any luck with an 2005? Stock sensors are "40700 cd001". One of my sensors went dead, so I bought a replacement "Orange Electronic SCD001 " from amazon and did the reset procedure from this thread...This seem to reset and re-learn the 3 OEM sensors, but the never got the Orange one to read.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:22 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

This should be a sticky. I just tried to find my green wire connector and once the blood flows back into the rest of my body im going to go search more.

worked awesome set my tire pressure a little differently but 45 psi in the front driver side 38 and they passenger side 35 in the rear passenger side and 30 in the rear driver side worked like a charm I would recommend removing the dash because it made life very easy.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 05-17-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:33 AM
blufc3s

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just did this procedure and it worked perfectly.
I decided to take the lower panel off the dash rather than stand on my head and it made the process quite easy. I've had that panel off before so it was no buggy.
Thanks to the OP and everyone else who contributed.
Quite neat to see the pressure in each individual tire!
🍷
Old 05-27-2015, 10:38 PM
PlainWhite350z

Fantastic thread.

Finally got around to getting new wheels and tires for my 04.5 and had 2 sensors that were intermittent. Figured it was worth replacing all 4 since I'm at the end of their expected lifespan. Followed instructions as per OP and didn't even make it out of my neighborhood before the new sensors registered.

The only minor contribution I have for the thread is a caution for those purchasing new sensors. When buying from somewhere other than the dealership, and especially from Ebay due to many poorly worded listings, be careful that the sensors you buy are OE replacements and not "multi-fit" sensors (assuming you want to do the relearn yourself and not have the sensors programmed by a shop). After reading much fine print, it looks like all the universal type sensors which work on many different makes of car, need to be programmed to send their data in whatever format a specific car requires. The fine print of the instructions for a particularly cheap type of sensor sold on Ebay seemed to state that the sensors needed to be "cloned" from existing working OE sensors. Now, if I had working OE sensors to "clone" them to, why would I have just purchased 4 new sensors?

I bought 4 Dorman sensors from Rock Auto, and made sure to get the model #974019, which is a drop-in OE replacement style. I had the tire shop who mounted and balanced my new setup install them. I made sure to tell them not to do anything to the sensors other than install them, as I wanted to handle the electronic setup myself. The instructions provided in this thread worked flawlessly. Longest part of the process was contorting myself under the dash to get a paper clip into the connector.

Many thanks to the OP and all other thread contributors for this consolidation of very useful info.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 PM
koren

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if you can connect TPMS to 04 touring A/T, which originally does not have them?
I have a gauge cluster from 07 A/T model and TPMS light is always on. Also on the left gauge of the triple gauge cluster you can browse through tire pressure readings (assuming if they are registered).
Is there any other special module for TPMS installed on newer 350z's? Or I can just buy TPMS, install them on the wheels and register them on my 04 A/T?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 PM
dcains

Can't tell you a thing about your '04, but on the late cars you can't scroll thru the individual readings - you just get the warning light.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:04 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

Confirmed! This worked on my 2006 350Z Base model.

I did run into an issue though, so I wanted to point this out.

The Tire Pressure settings I originally tried did not work. The first settings were the "updated" numbers in the OP's post (Below)...
FL: 37
FR: 34
RR: 31
RL: 28

I thought I was doing something wrong with the grounding process, so I spent a stupid amount of time trying different things there. The entire time I had the pressures wrong. Finally, before giving up entirely, I decided to try the second set of pressure settings (Below)....
FL: 34
FR: 31
RR: 28
RL: 26
(NOTE, these are the same numbers recommended for Infinity and Nissan models, plenty of Youtube videos cover this)

After driving for about 2-3 minutes, the TPMS gauge light stopped flashing and went out. All 4 wheels were showing up in my multi-display. A few seconds later the light came back up for the wheels below 30 psi.

So not sure if the first numbers are year specific or possibly even trim specific, but this is what worked for me!

Also, not sure if anyone else did this already, but I took the time to "make" a tool for this job. All you need is some spare wire (3.5' for ground and another 3.5' for connector), a toggle switch, paperclip, and some shrink tube. It took me about 10-15 minutes to make the tool so I could break and connect the circuit to ground comfortably from the driver's seat. Recently I've been having TPMS sensors dropping off quite frequently, even after having all 4 replaced with brand new OEM Nissan sensors! This was my first time using this method, so it could have been something the shop was doing wrong when registering the sensors, only time will tell. But having the ability to do it on my own saves me a lot of hassle!

Hope this info helps others!
-Icer

Last edited by icer5160; 08-28-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:44 PM
blufc3s

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used this process on my 03 and it worked great. It's not working on my 07 so I'm assuming the sensor(s) are bad.
I extended the wire below the dash as well as wiring out a ground so I don't have to crawl under the dash again I put spade connectors on them so I can connect them while driving.
Must order some sensors as they are 8 years old!
Attached Thumbnails Manually Registering TPMS-image.jpeg  
Old 11-03-2015, 03:32 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Way easier to stop at Nissan for 5 minutes in and out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manually Registering TPMS