Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

which SPRINGS to match tokico d-spec/htchks sways for track

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:16 PM
AznIceRckt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which SPRINGS to match tokico d-spec/htchks sways for track

Hi all, my G35 will be hitting the track soon, either Streets of Willow, Big Willow, or Buttonwillow (not likely).

My suspension setup will be Tokico D-Spec's (350z edition), with Hotchkis Sways. Currently I'm running Tein High-Tech's (G35 Sedan Edition), they are approximately 320/270 spring rate. The D-Spec's are not yet installed. My rollbars are on middle/middle settings.

Tires are 235/245 Kumho Exsta MX, Car is putting out about 245whp. Vehicle weight is nearly identical to a stock 6-speed 350z, with the weight reduction I've done (Sparco seats, long-tube headers, exhaust, stripped trunk), wet weight is 3280 pounds (truck scale verified).

What are your suggestions for springs? I'd like to ideally do a Ground-Control sleeve setup one day, but for now I'm considering KG/MM springs, Hotchkis, and Tein H-Techs (all 350z edition).

I feel the entire car rolls too much. I like the suspension travel I have however, and I DO NOT want to lose too much suspension travel.

RSR springs (350z edition) drop the G35 Sedan way too much for my taste. From my readings, it looks like the Hotchkis are tuned somewhat for comfort.

My research is pointing me towards 350z Tein High Techs. Keep in mind I'm driving and tracking an open-differential car. I don't have huge rubber on the rear (245 Ecsta MX), and I don't want on-tap power-oversteer.

Best suggestions guys? Thanks.

Also, any suggestions for tracking an AT car? (Especially ways to save my tranny).

-Phil
Old 01-04-2005, 09:34 PM
350ZOWNZ

doesnt the 350Z hotchkis springs drop the car just as much as the RS-Rs? around .6inches?

if not try to find some stock 350Z springs for sale. PRobably be a good bet there...(cheap and decent spring rate of 310front 350rear

I have the RS-R and tokico shocks. Love it.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:46 AM
ZISBAK

Originally posted by 350ZOWNZ
doesnt the 350Z hotchkis springs drop the car just as much as the RS-Rs? around .6inches?

if not try to find some stock 350Z springs for sale. PRobably be a good bet there...(cheap and decent spring rate of 310front 350rear

I have the RS-R and tokico shocks. Love it.
Just curious? what are the setting you have set on your Tokico, and have you have any problem with it? thanks.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:07 AM
350ZOWNZ

No problems with the tokico. Current settings right now are

Front: 4 turns from full stiff
Rear: 3 turns from full stiff

At first i had the rear 3 and half turns from full stiff and liked the setting. But i felt i wanted it a little more stiff in the rear so i made it half a turn stiffer. Now people that rode in my car before and after the stiffness changed notice a big difference in ride quality. So ill probably end up putting the rear back on 3and a half...

Must say tho handeling and ride quality at my current settings is much better than stock...
Old 01-25-2005, 10:22 AM
ZISBAK

Originally posted by 350ZOWNZ
No problems with the tokico. Current settings right now are

Front: 4 turns from full stiff
Rear: 3 turns from full stiff

At first i had the rear 3 and half turns from full stiff and liked the setting. But i felt i wanted it a little more stiff in the rear so i made it half a turn stiffer. Now people that rode in my car before and after the stiffness changed notice a big difference in ride quality. So ill probably end up putting the rear back on 3and a half...

Must say tho handeling and ride quality at my current settings is much better than stock...
Sweet! now, did you have to remove the rear one to adjust or you could go from top where the rear strut bar to adjust?
Old 01-25-2005, 06:12 PM
350ZOWNZ

well. i guess u could drill a small holl in the top part of the strut bar and be able to adjust it from there if u wanted (doubt it would hurt anything) otherwise yes u have to take the shock off to adjust. Its not hard. The rears can be done in like 45 mins for both
Old 01-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: which SPRINGS to match tokico d-spec/htchks sways for track

Originally posted by AznIceRckt
Hi all, my G35 will be hitting the track soon, either Streets of Willow, Big Willow, or Buttonwillow (not likely).

My suspension setup will be Tokico D-Spec's (350z edition), with Hotchkis Sways. Currently I'm running Tein High-Tech's (G35 Sedan Edition), they are approximately 320/270 spring rate. The D-Spec's are not yet installed. My rollbars are on middle/middle settings.

Tires are 235/245 Kumho Exsta MX, Car is putting out about 245whp. Vehicle weight is nearly identical to a stock 6-speed 350z, with the weight reduction I've done (Sparco seats, long-tube headers, exhaust, stripped trunk), wet weight is 3280 pounds (truck scale verified).

What are your suggestions for springs? I'd like to ideally do a Ground-Control sleeve setup one day, but for now I'm considering KG/MM springs, Hotchkis, and Tein H-Techs (all 350z edition).

I feel the entire car rolls too much. I like the suspension travel I have however, and I DO NOT want to lose too much suspension travel.

RSR springs (350z edition) drop the G35 Sedan way too much for my taste. From my readings, it looks like the Hotchkis are tuned somewhat for comfort.

My research is pointing me towards 350z Tein High Techs. Keep in mind I'm driving and tracking an open-differential car. I don't have huge rubber on the rear (245 Ecsta MX), and I don't want on-tap power-oversteer.

Best suggestions guys? Thanks.

Also, any suggestions for tracking an AT car? (Especially ways to save my tranny).

-Phil
Your best choice given what you've written, in a off the shelf product would be the H-tech's for the Z, they will lower your sedan 1.3"/1.2". However, you did say, "my G35 will be hitting the track soon, either Streets of Willow, Big Willow, or Buttonwillow". You will be best served by a all linear spring setup, do not bother with the KG/MM springs for certain and the Tein's are progressive in the front, so they would compromise still, but less so then the Kg/MM's.

The RSR springs would be a better consideration, but as you know, they drop the G35 sedan 1.7". So, how do you get the correct choice? Certainly the after makrket could care less about making a linear spring for the sedan that only drops it 1".

Here's how. Their is a chance that Ground-Control can convert your front D-specs into coil-overs. I have already confirmed that they can do the Koni's, but that shock uses a removeable spring perch. If Ground-Control can do the conversion, this would allow you to pick from a huge assortment of Eibach 2.5" OD ERS linear springs. So, what about the rear? Easy, Eibach makes a 5" OD ESS linear spring with all kinds of spring rates. Beauty is, they make them 13" tall, which will lower the sedan in the rear about 3/4". You can then fine tune the rear upper spring seat to pick up whatever additional rear drop you need, up to 3/4" more.

Be carefull, their will be a point as you pick higher and higher spring rates that the shocks will not be able to control them. Complicating matters is I do not believe that Tokico techs or their spec sheets will allow their techs to be able to tell you how high of a spring rate they can effectively control with authority. IMO, any answer they give would actually be a guess. I don't see current aftermarket springs for the G or Z as a issue in the above regard, except the Nismo SCCA T2 springs.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:38 PM
myG35zx

Gsedan35,
Each time I read one of your posts i get more impressed. Thanks for all of you input.

Regards
Old 01-27-2005, 07:58 AM
AznIceRckt

gsedan, thanks for the info!

-phil