Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension FAQ and Reviews! (tech info, tuning, and reviews)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM
JDM_Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, sorry to interrupt but I didn't want to make a noob account and then make a new thread just to ask this. I have a 2003 Touring 350Z currently running 19 inch wheels, the tires are 275s. I'm looking into lowering the car but I'm not sure how much of a drop I could do and whether or not I would only be able to go with springs or if I'd be able to do a good and full 2 inch drop with coilovers. Just wondering if anyone with similar wheel specs is dropped dramatically low and if they are how much negative camber they had to run, etc.

Thank you!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM
KhanMan

the front shocks on my G need to be replaced, besides tokico HPs, and the GR-2, what other OEM like shocks are available? Haven't seen many mentioned. Thanks

btw are the hps a replacement for the non sport shocks or models with the sport package?

Last edited by KhanMan; 01-19-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KhanMan
the front shocks on my G need to be replaced, besides tokico HPs, and the GR-2, what other OEM like shocks are available? Haven't seen many mentioned. Thanks

btw are the hps a replacement for the non sport shocks or models with the sport package?
Not sure you'll get many replies here...cancel this one and put it up on the suspension threads. Anyway..my 2 cents. Replace em with stock OEM shocks. I think these use the same one's as the Z? Courtesy Nissan has em pretty cheap. Shocks we're revised on the Gs on 04? Also, I would replace em ALL, if the rears haven't been replaced already. Tokico HPs are good also. I would stay away from any others. I you want top notch..then you have Koni Yellows (sport)...expensive. Tokico D specs are very good (adjustable)..cost is between HPs and Konis.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:07 PM
KhanMan

How much are the Z/G shocks going for? I called Performance Nissan up an the stock Z and G shocks cost more than the HP's, and would cost about the same as the D-Specs. So,that is not really worth it to me if that is really the case as the D-Specs are better option for the same price.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 PM
cnz

Default Stance Gr Pro+/ supersport + True style coilovers Review

Hey guys i just wanted to do a quick personal review of these coilovers even though I'm sure many have before as well. I have this kit set up with ichiba camber arms(R) and Custom toe arms(R) made by JasonZ-YA.

Price: 1299$

Condition: Near Perfect presentation, Boxed well, wrapped well. Helper springs were left out and later mailed to me. Now I have to install them myself..

Shipping time: 3 days!

Assembly difficulty: 5/10 -Honestly changing out springs was a lot harder than
replacing the whole suspension

Quality by looks: 10/10 IMO- love the black on metallic orange

Quality by ride: IMO 10/10 DEPENDING on how you set them up.. I have them all around set 8 clicks from soft and they feel firm but yet really nice at low speeds.

Quality by performance: (......) - I leave this blank because I haven't tracked my car with them yet but in spirited driving around they feel a lot better than oem. Defiantly less body roll and lean...

As i stated before I have these set up with ichiba rear camber arms and toe arms made by JasonZ-YA. Those also are great products for great prices. Jason is a great guy with amazing work. So for I'm very pleased and glad I chose these. Please feel free to ask any questions If you have any info you need to know. Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 AM
useless6

Thanks for the info cnz. been pondering over these for a while. still leaning towards the fortune auto 500's. did you change the ride height at all?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:56 PM
cnz

Defiantly man, anything to help. Honestly man I wanted the fortune 500's first.. then i wanted the 510's then i did some looking around and worked out the stance would work out better for me at the end.. plus i didn't feel like wait 5-6 weeks until it gets to my front door..

if you are curious about my hight here are a few pictures..
Its actually a little bit lower now but either way...
Name:  IMAG0325.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  41.6 KB
Name:  IMAG0323.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  112.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0344.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  117.0 KB
Old 03-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Raginraj11

Anybody know the spring rates of the Stance LX+ coilovers?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
mattleegee

has this thread ever been updated?

i have the need to start a new thread
Old 08-12-2012, 01:12 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KW v2 coilovers:

Factory topmounts were needed to be reused for this kit (TUV requirement) but I didn't want to use the old one. The garage where My Z was being worked on only had G35 Sedan 2nd Gen top mounts. We put them side by side next to the OEM's and everything matches except for some minor details on the machining. OEM is the black one, which is heavier. G35 mount looks nicer lol and lighter - made of aluminium.
Name:  IMAG0635.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  189.1 KB

Use spring compressor to install these on the KW coilovers.
We were running out of time so I had to help. Couple of hours of wrenching and fighting with the Z's suspensions we managed to install the whole kit.

They fit like gloves.
Name:  KWinst.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  51.9 KB

Ride Height
Before installation I made careful measurements on the ride height adjusters so we didnt have to play around and waste time raising the car up and down and doing some more adjustments and so I did a pretty good job.

Hint: Setup up the ride height near the maximum height level. Once the springs settle, they really drop by around 1.5 approx"

Once the coilovers were lowered from the lift, the ride height seemed to be too high, just a couple cm's below OEM height. I drove the car in front of the garage and did some sudden stop forward and reverse and the springs settled in halfway. I went home and then this morning I reached the office this is how the drop looks now (yes, I love picture apps on my phone lol)...

Not as low as my previous setup but at this height I feel that the car would handle better. I can even go around 1.5 inch lower but as per previous experience, slammed height screws up the car's handling.

Also installed the blacked out headlights from my buddy (f350Z)...
Name:  IMAG0643_Melissa.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  546.5 KB

Onto review, In comparison to my previous Tein SS and OEM setup :

KW V2 Initial Impression:

My 40 minute drive to and from work lets me experience many types of roads - rough, smooth, medium speed to slow tight turns and some of these turns include a 60kph limit ramp (yea right) with yellow strips that let me feel the shock's damping capability.

High Speed damping (yellow strips on the road, tiny/short road bumps)

Tein SS set to medium: A little more harsh than OEM. Hitting bumps on higher speed turns make me think twice about pressing the pedal deeper as there is a feeling that the tyres could lose road contact for a very brief moment (especially at the stiffest setting) which means disturbing the car's balance.
Comfort is manageable.

KW V2 on medium setting: No I am not biased but they handle bumps a lot better than the OEM/Tein SS. THey inspire more confidence on bumpy turns as you dont feel like the tyres are about to lost road contact. They're always there. The "thud" sound of the tyres are way less pronoucned. Ride comfort is amazing. I love it.

Medium Speed Damping (short dips and road unevenness):

Tein SS set to medium: Compared to OEM, the Tein SS felt that they follow road unevenness better. You feel that all tyres are well planted and they are more responsive to abrupt road height changes even at 100-120kph.

KW V2 set to medium: Feels almost the same as the Tein SS. Not much difference except they somehow feel a bit stiffer and very slightly more responsive.

Low Speed Damping (high speed cornering, everyone's favorite part)

Tein SS set to medium-high: Sadly, the Tein SS allows too much body roll no matter how maxed out the dampers are set. I was breaking my back on the stiffest setting and I still had lots of body-roll during track days and autoX events. Only way to counter this is with a set of aftermarket swaybars!

KW V2 set to medium: So far, there's very little bodyroll. Attacking roundabouts has never been so much fun (except for stupid drivers who suddenly cut lanes)

No wonder why Tein SS was replaced with Tein Flex. I've sat in a Z equipped with Tein Flex before and I think ride + performance is almost on par with KW v2/V3.

Overall, I am happy with this mod. KW always brags around on their marketing that their dampers are highly engineered and now I beleive them. Not because I have their product but because as far as I know, it works great on my car. . . . so far.

More update soon after my next track day. Need new tyres and track pads. Sponsor anyone?

Last edited by 350Zdj; 08-12-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:52 AM
kingpin1011

@350zdj where did you order them from ?? I'm looking for a coilover kit shipped to Jebel Ali for a good price.

Let me know
Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kingpin1011
@350zdj where did you order them from ?? I'm looking for a coilover kit shipped to Jebel Ali for a good price.

Let me know
Ordered them locally. There's a KW dealer - Titanio Auto.
PM me if you need more info.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:54 PM
ny350zat

hey guys few questions....i have tokico d specs shocks(not installed yet) and im looking for a set of linear springs good for spirited street driving ,track that gives a nice drop.ONLY LINEAR plz what are some good recommendations you may suggest? i know the tokico springs are good w the shocks but i dnt understand anything about rates so plz help me out on that.. also it would be nice if someone could contribute on the dampening i shud set the D specs at, i live in an area where there are tons of potholes so i think that if i set them at full stiff it may be too bad on taking bumps thus decreasing handling
i will be running 255,40,18 FRONT and 275,40,18 REAR if it matters
thanks in advance guys
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't want to make a new thread for a quick question.. so i'll ask here.

Does anyone know if G37 D2 coilovers would fit an 08 350z?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 AM
vtchang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KW/Bilstein Rear Progressive Swap.

I know this has been documented on the site many times but none of which contain part #s

5 Options in descending cost

Option 1)
KW Clubsport rear spring assembly
Height Adjustment assembly
2x MSRP $299.99
+
Spring assembly
2x MSRP $479.99
differentiator: Spring lengths and rates already calculated for the Z 455 lbs (no guess work), comes with helper springs, thrust washers, and if you have KW, its keeping the coilover kit within the same brand (if that matters to you)

Option 2)
SPL + Swift (or any other 2.5")
Rear Midlink
SPLRMLZ33
1x MSRP $799
+
Swift Race Springs or any other 2.5"
http://swiftsprings.com/file/id2_5.pdf
2x MSRP $69.99
differentiator: Removes OEM spring bucket (reduces minimal weight), increase toe adjustability, allows for any 2.5" spring, comes with thrust washers

Option 3)
Find the rear spring assembly for BC/KSport/Stance/(replace with any other junk coilover) This is actually harder to do bc those vendors will want proof that you bought their entire coilover set. Funny enough, buying junk coilovers and just using its rear assembly is cheaper than Options 1 and 2.

Option 4)
Ebay special + Eibach Race Spring (ESS 5.5 or any 5.5" spring)
Can't find ebay link anymore but there is a coilover sleeve for $350 (comes from our neighbors up north). It comes with 250/350 lb springs. Swap out the rear spring for any 5.5" spring and throw everything else out.
+
Eibach Race Spring (ESS)
Choose for any 9.5" 5.5" OD spring.
http://pitstopusa.com/b-4638-134728-eibach-springs.html

Option 5)
Use 06+ OEM spring (417 lbs)and cit upper spring rubber mount
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...mount-mod.html

Last edited by vtchang; 03-16-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:50 PM
vagel72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coilover Ride Adjustment

Im looking at Tein Street Basis OEM Style Coilovers.

The ride height states.

Ride Height:
•Front Drop: -25mm / -1.0"

•Rear Drop: -21mm / -0.8"

•Front Adjustment: -8mm ~ -62mm / -0.3" ~ -2.4"

•Rear Adjustment: -10mm ~ -33 / -0.4" ~ -1.3"

Can I assume by looking at Front and rear adjustments that I can lower
my ride height as little as -0.3" as is stated there?

Or does that mean adjustments start at -1.0" drop and I can add as little as 0.3" all the way through -2.4" more?

I hoping it's the first choice because I don't track and for now I only want to lower a little maybe 0.5" - 0.7 f/r.
Of course if I change my mind later great that I have play room to go lower.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:43 AM
bolton1

Can anyone help please? I have a 55 plate 350Z a few weeks ago I was driving and it felt like either a flat tire or suspension problem. I could feel every bump in the road it was really bad. Since then it has past it's MOT and the garage couldn't find anything wrong. I know my car very well and know it just doesn't drive the same and I can feel every bump. Has anyone any idea as to what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance
Jay
Old 05-09-2015, 07:49 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Bringing this back to life.

I've been researching this for some time and the forum search function is pretty weak.

Thanks to VTchang and especially Gsedan35 for the wealth of knowledge.

I wanted to contribute some of the info I found while piecing together my rear coilovers.

1. Eibach ERS 5" OD spring comes as a rear spring, has less coils and the actual thickness of the spring is thinner than the 5.5" OD "front" spring with more coils. ID on the 5.5" is approximately 4 1/4" the ID of the 5" OD spring is 3 3/4".

Rear vs front (check coil thickness), most vendors will list the spring as front or rear specific. From the research I've done, people just meh'd and installed fronts into the rear.

2. Almost all vendors, tein, bc, etc require proof you own their coilover setup to purchase any parts. Or spend an exorbitant amount from vendors who are willing to sell parts separately.

Here is the missing link for me which I'm sure anyone searching for this will appreciate.

Afco manufactures a coil spring perch and daymotorsports offers one as well. They come in 2 types, tall and short ~$29 bucks each. Fits 5" and 5.5" OD springs.

I ordered a set of rear ERS with the perches. Came out to around $200 shipped.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 05-09-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:53 PM
350Z.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking for daily coilover, which make me feel inside the car I am running a stock .
I don't like rough one.

my car info :
2006 350Z Base
wheels
19" tires 35 hight

budget : $650
Old 07-21-2015, 04:45 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z.
I am looking for daily coilover, which make me feel inside the car I am running a stock .
I don't like rough one.

my car info :
2006 350Z Base
wheels
19" tires 35 hight

budget : $650
Pick a set of drop springs

Quick Reply: Suspension FAQ and Reviews! (tech info, tuning, and reviews)