Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 AM
03aeroZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect...thanks for the info.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
the instructions give you the recommended starting points. Adjusting them, like any other swaybar, involves just disconnecting the endlinks and moving their position on the bars
Adam, IIRC Hotchkis recommends starting at full stiff. If that's the case, at no point to I recommend starting out that way. med/med makes a lot more sense. With the 4 postion front bar I'd think that means 3rd hole in the front.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_fi...420925file.pdf

they suggest starting with full stiff up front, full light out back
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 AM
idrive_MD

Might want to add Cobb Tuning to the list, search in this thread pulled up very limited results. Specs available on their site, might get more detailed info if you email them and ask for it.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Cobb's sways are Hotchkis
Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
KS0385

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would Cusco Sways Clear the Fast Intentions Intimidator?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:54 AM
RandyK1

Will the Hotchkis fit with the Borla TD exhaust??
Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RandyK1
Will the Hotchkis fit with the Borla TD exhaust??
yes
Old 10-24-2009, 09:17 AM
RandyK1

yes
Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:44 AM
=Cerberus=

This is a great thread, made my simple decision harder then simple again.

not for nothing but what you expect a manufacturer who sells solid bars to say?

the ONLY way to know what is stiffer, or not, is to measure it...and that takes some expensive machinary. Anything short of that is purely a guess

While my preference is solid bars as well for my own cars, I could not say which bars have the stiffest overall rates as it's beyond what I can measure here
It can be calculated, we would have to estimate the material being used, but based on diameter and wall thickness (just outside dia for solid) you could calculate torsional shear strength for the diameter bar. Then you can relate that to the arm length of each bar.

Torsional shear for a round member increases as you move towards the outer edge of the diameter, that is why you can have a hollow bar and have it still be similar to a solid bar. I think the only downside would be a solid bar is stronger if you are going to thrash your car, VS a hollow bar which has a solid end welded into it.

As far as testing them, it would be very simple actually, requiring no expensive machinery, Just a solid jig, some known weights and a consistent measuring point.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

but estimating the material doesn't get you the answer - it gets you a guess. An educated guess, but a guess

a solid bar physcially lowers the cars cg as well, a hollow bar does not - if you're going to add weight, the swaybars are just about the best part you can
Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Hey Adam, i'm running the progress sway bars, but i'm considering switching to the cusco's because the front is a little thicker. What do you reckon? Will it make much of a difference. The only down side is the cusco's have less adjustability.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I wouldn't bother changing them
Old 02-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Adam, I'll be ordering the hotchkis tvs combo in the future from ya. will the sways give dual exhaust setups any grief or is there plenty of clearance?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I've yet to see an exhaust that interfered with the Hotchkis
Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Entaille
Adam, I'll be ordering the hotchkis tvs combo in the future from ya. will the sways give dual exhaust setups any grief or is there plenty of clearance?
My buddy has the Hotchkis on his Z and he's had the AAM 3" TD and the Greddy TD as well. Should be fine.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Gordgee

My Front Stillen Sway Bar recently broke.

Installed October, 2005. Started making noise which I thought were the suspension arm bushings last fall or earlier (2009). Lots of noise a couple of weeks ago, and a few week-ends ago, I heard a big noise (sound of it snapping?)

Removed on the W/E (46,000 miles on the sway bars). Looks like it started as a crack last fall since part of the break is starting to rust. Finally let go last W/E.

I’ve never tracked the car, and though I’m an enthusiastic driver, am not overly aggressive. The bars are set on ‘medium’.

Stillen says that their bars are only warranted for 1 year so it’s not covered! I’m pretty disappointed with their response. I probably should have gone with Eibach which Stillen warranties for 1 million miles.

Looks like they have more faith in other manufacturers than their own!

They claim that it must have been caused by hitting potholes or something, but I'm always very careful, and have only had one minor wheel alignment as a maintenance item done since I bought the car even though the car has always tracked true. Anything that would cause the sway bar to break like that would likely have been very noticeable at the time, and would have affected other things in the front end. I believe it was a manufacturing flaw and one of my engineer friends agrees.

Another thread here on My350 about a broken Stillen Rear bar:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/

Adam at Stillen offered a replacement front bar for a reduced price, but I've lost faith in Stillen. Why throw good money after bad? I asked if they would offer a discount on one of the other brands they sell that carry a better warranty, but they said it only applies to the Stillen! In fact, the price they quoted the dealer to replace my bar with the Eibach bar was a few dollars higher than the sale price per their site!

This has left a bad taste in my mouth for Stillen and I'd have to recommend avoiding some of their products in the future. Sorry Adam, I know you browse these forums, but Stillen's response in this case sucks!
Attached Thumbnails Sway Bar Database-img_0174.jpg   Sway Bar Database-img_0175.jpg   Sway Bar Database-img_0172.jpg   Sway Bar Database-img_0173.jpg  
Old 05-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Stillen does not offer a 1,000,000 mile warranty, Eibach does. You would still have to buy new ones, and pay for shipping, send yours back, and if they are deemed to be a manufacturing defect, you get your money back. It's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be. Unfortunately this is a drawback to a hollow swaybar - they are more prone to breaking. The Eibach in this case is no different, as it too is hollow. Combine that with roads that see salt in the winter, and they become far more susceptible to failure than a solid bar.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Gordgee

Stillen does not offer a 1,000,000 mile warranty, Eibach does. You would still have to buy new ones, and pay for shipping, send yours back, and if they are deemed to be a manufacturing defect, you get your money back. It's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be. Unfortunately this is a drawback to a hollow swaybar - they are more prone to breaking. The Eibach in this case is no different, as it too is hollow. Combine that with roads that see salt in the winter, and they become far more susceptible to failure than a solid bar.
Thanks for the reply Adam. Your offer of only being able to do a reduced price was what was presented to me.

I know that Stillen doesn't offer a 1,000,000 mile warranty, which is the reason that I perhaps should have gone with one that does in the 1st place. Still disappointed in your product and your response however and I have not heard of many sway bars that have broken other than the cheap ones off eBay. Per another member: "I've seen multiple cases of Stillen bars snapping, but never hotchkis". (Click on for link) Even in your own words: "A broken swaybar = a waste of money and a potential safety hazard....the simple fact that something that, by it's very nature, is supposed to be rigid and strong in fact broke, tells you everything that needs to be told".... Not very reassuring that you conspicuously did not mention Stillen not breaking in that post, but did refer to other quality bars that don't break!

And other than in the break itself, there is no evidence of corrosion whatsoever, so salted roads are not likely to be a factor unless there was a fissure pre-existing due to manufacturing problems or quality control issues, the very thing that you refer to as being lacking in bars that are prone to breaking!

Last edited by Gordgee; 05-28-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I don't work for Stillen, nor do I sell their swaybars so I'm at a loss as to what exactly you're talking about

My location is to the left, as is my company name (as well as in my signature, as well as it being my screen name - I guess you missed that).

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 05-29-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Database