Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway Bar Database

Old 07-14-2009, 07:52 AM
  #101  
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor
iTrader: (564)
 
Z1 Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 19,273
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_fi...420925file.pdf

they suggest starting with full stiff up front, full light out back
Z1 Performance is offline  
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 AM
  #102  
idrive_MD
Registered User
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bel air, MD
Posts: 633
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Might want to add Cobb Tuning to the list, search in this thread pulled up very limited results. Specs available on their site, might get more detailed info if you email them and ask for it.
idrive_MD is offline  
Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 AM
  #103  
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor
iTrader: (564)
 
Z1 Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 19,273
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Cobb's sways are Hotchkis
Z1 Performance is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
  #104  
KS0385
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,900
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Would Cusco Sways Clear the Fast Intentions Intimidator?
KS0385 is offline  
Old 10-24-2009, 08:54 AM
  #105  
RandyK1
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
RandyK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Far North Eastern IL.
Posts: 632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Will the Hotchkis fit with the Borla TD exhaust??
RandyK1 is offline  
Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 AM
  #106  
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor
iTrader: (564)
 
Z1 Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 19,273
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by RandyK1 View Post
Will the Hotchkis fit with the Borla TD exhaust??
yes
Z1 Performance is offline  
Old 10-24-2009, 09:17 AM
  #107  
RandyK1
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
RandyK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Far North Eastern IL.
Posts: 632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance View Post
yes
Thanks!!
RandyK1 is offline  
Old 02-06-2010, 05:44 AM
  #108  
=Cerberus=
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
=Cerberus='s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 588
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This is a great thread, made my simple decision harder then simple again.

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance View Post
not for nothing but what you expect a manufacturer who sells solid bars to say?

the ONLY way to know what is stiffer, or not, is to measure it...and that takes some expensive machinary. Anything short of that is purely a guess

While my preference is solid bars as well for my own cars, I could not say which bars have the stiffest overall rates as it's beyond what I can measure here
It can be calculated, we would have to estimate the material being used, but based on diameter and wall thickness (just outside dia for solid) you could calculate torsional shear strength for the diameter bar. Then you can relate that to the arm length of each bar.

Torsional shear for a round member increases as you move towards the outer edge of the diameter, that is why you can have a hollow bar and have it still be similar to a solid bar. I think the only downside would be a solid bar is stronger if you are going to thrash your car, VS a hollow bar which has a solid end welded into it.

As far as testing them, it would be very simple actually, requiring no expensive machinery, Just a solid jig, some known weights and a consistent measuring point.
=Cerberus= is offline  
Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM
  #109  
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor
iTrader: (564)
 
Z1 Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 19,273
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

but estimating the material doesn't get you the answer - it gets you a guess. An educated guess, but a guess

a solid bar physcially lowers the cars cg as well, a hollow bar does not - if you're going to add weight, the swaybars are just about the best part you can
Z1 Performance is offline  
Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 AM
  #110  
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos
iTrader: (9)
 
ReV2Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the basement
Posts: 1,621
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hey Adam, i'm running the progress sway bars, but i'm considering switching to the cusco's because the front is a little thicker. What do you reckon? Will it make much of a difference. The only down side is the cusco's have less adjustability.
ReV2Red is offline  
Old 02-26-2010, 07:14 AM
  #111  
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor
iTrader: (564)
 
Z1 Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 19,273
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I wouldn't bother changing them
Z1 Performance is offline  
Old 02-26-2010, 07:54 AM
  #112  
Entaille
Registered User
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: WA
Posts: 9,044
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Adam, I'll be ordering the hotchkis tvs combo in the future from ya. will the sways give dual exhaust setups any grief or is there plenty of clearance?
Entaille is offline  
Old 02-26-2010, 08:40 AM
  #113  
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor
iTrader: (564)
 
Z1 Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 19,273
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I've yet to see an exhaust that interfered with the Hotchkis
Z1 Performance is offline  
Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 AM
  #114  
blasian
Registered User
iTrader: (29)
 
blasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Get out my way pimpin, LA
Posts: 34,143
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
Adam, I'll be ordering the hotchkis tvs combo in the future from ya. will the sways give dual exhaust setups any grief or is there plenty of clearance?
My buddy has the Hotchkis on his Z and he's had the AAM 3" TD and the Greddy TD as well. Should be fine.
blasian is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 AM
  #115  
Gordgee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

My Front Stillen Sway Bar recently broke.

Installed October, 2005. Started making noise which I thought were the suspension arm bushings last fall or earlier (2009). Lots of noise a couple of weeks ago, and a few week-ends ago, I heard a big noise (sound of it snapping?)

Removed on the W/E (46,000 miles on the sway bars). Looks like it started as a crack last fall since part of the break is starting to rust. Finally let go last W/E.

Iíve never tracked the car, and though Iím an enthusiastic driver, am not overly aggressive. The bars are set on Ďmediumí.

Stillen says that their bars are only warranted for 1 year so itís not covered! Iím pretty disappointed with their response. I probably should have gone with Eibach which Stillen warranties for 1 million miles.

Looks like they have more faith in other manufacturers than their own!

They claim that it must have been caused by hitting potholes or something, but I'm always very careful, and have only had one minor wheel alignment as a maintenance item done since I bought the car even though the car has always tracked true. Anything that would cause the sway bar to break like that would likely have been very noticeable at the time, and would have affected other things in the front end. I believe it was a manufacturing flaw and one of my engineer friends agrees.

Another thread here on My350 about a broken Stillen Rear bar:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/

Adam at Stillen offered a replacement front bar for a reduced price, but I've lost faith in Stillen. Why throw good money after bad? I asked if they would offer a discount on one of the other brands they sell that carry a better warranty, but they said it only applies to the Stillen! In fact, the price they quoted the dealer to replace my bar with the Eibach bar was a few dollars higher than the sale price per their site!

This has left a bad taste in my mouth for Stillen and I'd have to recommend avoiding some of their products in the future. Sorry Adam, I know you browse these forums, but Stillen's response in this case sucks!
Attached Thumbnails Sway Bar Database-img_0174.jpg   Sway Bar Database-img_0175.jpg   Sway Bar Database-img_0172.jpg   Sway Bar Database-img_0173.jpg  
Gordgee is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 08:15 AM
  #116  
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor
iTrader: (564)
 
Z1 Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 19,273
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Stillen does not offer a 1,000,000 mile warranty, Eibach does. You would still have to buy new ones, and pay for shipping, send yours back, and if they are deemed to be a manufacturing defect, you get your money back. It's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be. Unfortunately this is a drawback to a hollow swaybar - they are more prone to breaking. The Eibach in this case is no different, as it too is hollow. Combine that with roads that see salt in the winter, and they become far more susceptible to failure than a solid bar.
Z1 Performance is offline  
Old 05-28-2010, 01:19 PM
  #117  
Gordgee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance View Post
Stillen does not offer a 1,000,000 mile warranty, Eibach does. You would still have to buy new ones, and pay for shipping, send yours back, and if they are deemed to be a manufacturing defect, you get your money back. It's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be. Unfortunately this is a drawback to a hollow swaybar - they are more prone to breaking. The Eibach in this case is no different, as it too is hollow. Combine that with roads that see salt in the winter, and they become far more susceptible to failure than a solid bar.
Thanks for the reply Adam. Your offer of only being able to do a reduced price was what was presented to me.

I know that Stillen doesn't offer a 1,000,000 mile warranty, which is the reason that I perhaps should have gone with one that does in the 1st place. Still disappointed in your product and your response however and I have not heard of many sway bars that have broken other than the cheap ones off eBay. Per another member: "I've seen multiple cases of Stillen bars snapping, but never hotchkis". (Click on for link) Even in your own words: "A broken swaybar = a waste of money and a potential safety hazard....the simple fact that something that, by it's very nature, is supposed to be rigid and strong in fact broke, tells you everything that needs to be told".... Not very reassuring that you conspicuously did not mention Stillen not breaking in that post, but did refer to other quality bars that don't break!

And other than in the break itself, there is no evidence of corrosion whatsoever, so salted roads are not likely to be a factor unless there was a fissure pre-existing due to manufacturing problems or quality control issues, the very thing that you refer to as being lacking in bars that are prone to breaking!

Last edited by Gordgee; 05-28-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Gordgee is offline  
Old 05-29-2010, 03:20 PM
  #118  
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor
iTrader: (564)
 
Z1 Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 19,273
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I don't work for Stillen, nor do I sell their swaybars so I'm at a loss as to what exactly you're talking about

My location is to the left, as is my company name (as well as in my signature, as well as it being my screen name - I guess you missed that).

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 05-29-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Z1 Performance is offline  
Old 05-30-2010, 06:52 AM
  #119  
Gordgee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance View Post
I don't work for Stillen, nor do I sell their swaybars so I'm at a loss as to what exactly you're talking about

My location is to the left, as is my company name (as well as in my signature, as well as it being my screen name - I guess you missed that).
My apologies.

I thought you were Adam from Stillen. I did notice your signature and wondered if Adam was moonlighting on a side business! Your response was dead on to what I thought his (Stillen's) response would be, so I'm hoping you understand my confusion. I know he browses these forums, so the comments are still appropriate.

Based on my experience and what I've read on Stillen Sway bars failing, I would still caution others about buying Stillen Bars over the other name-brand suspension component manufacturers.

Last edited by Gordgee; 05-30-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Gordgee is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
  #120  
G35cTT
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
G35cTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gordgee View Post
My Front Stillen Sway Bar recently broke.

Installed October, 2005. Started making noise which I thought were the suspension arm bushings last fall or earlier (2009). Lots of noise a couple of weeks ago, and a few week-ends ago, I heard a big noise (sound of it snapping?)

Removed on the W/E (46,000 miles on the sway bars). Looks like it started as a crack last fall since part of the break is starting to rust. Finally let go last W/E.

Iíve never tracked the car, and though Iím an enthusiastic driver, am not overly aggressive. The bars are set on Ďmediumí.

Stillen says that their bars are only warranted for 1 year so itís not covered! Iím pretty disappointed with their response. I probably should have gone with Eibach which Stillen warranties for 1 million miles.

Looks like they have more faith in other manufacturers than their own!

They claim that it must have been caused by hitting potholes or something, but I'm always very careful, and have only had one minor wheel alignment as a maintenance item done since I bought the car even though the car has always tracked true. Anything that would cause the sway bar to break like that would likely have been very noticeable at the time, and would have affected other things in the front end. I believe it was a manufacturing flaw and one of my engineer friends agrees.

Another thread here on My350 about a broken Stillen Rear bar:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/

Adam at Stillen offered a replacement front bar for a reduced price, but I've lost faith in Stillen. Why throw good money after bad? I asked if they would offer a discount on one of the other brands they sell that carry a better warranty, but they said it only applies to the Stillen! In fact, the price they quoted the dealer to replace my bar with the Eibach bar was a few dollars higher than the sale price per their site!

This has left a bad taste in my mouth for Stillen and I'd have to recommend avoiding some of their products in the future. Sorry Adam, I know you browse these forums, but Stillen's response in this case sucks!
That sucks, has anything like this happened w/ the Hotchkis sways? Wondering because that's what I have and set on the same med settings. Guess that's why the solid bars are the best.
G35cTT is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sway Bar Database


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: